Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times

Advertisements

I think excessive force and improper procedure was used( the choke hold) which contributed IN PART to Mr. Gardener's death. He also had health problems and medical conditions( obesity, diabetes, asthma) which likely was mostly to blame. He also precipitated the confrontation( breaking the law and the need to be arrested) and then compounded the situation by resisting arrest and making the police wrestle with him to get him to comply. He should have just manned up and let them arrest him and not been such a stupid jerk. You taze him and may still have died from a heart attack and mace in his eyes might still have triggered an asthma attack. HE should have thought about that and avoided getting arrested.
I think there's enough there to get some kind of a civil lawsuit and settlement and also to have the officer dismissed or at least reprimanded. It didn't rise to the level where he should be criminally charged, IMO. That's what the grand jury thought, at least.
Speaking of Grand Juries, the fascists are questioning our legal system and want a court system with more prosecutorial power and less citizen involvement. Hey, MORONS! You don't want that, trust me. But the government and authorities sure would.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Present it at trial.
Maybe there would have been a trial if they didn't give immunity to the other officers.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think excessive force and improper procedure was used( the choke hold) which contributed IN PART to Mr. Gardener's death. He also had health problems and medical conditions( obesity, diabetes, asthma) which likely was mostly to blame. He also precipitated the confrontation( breaking the law and the need to be arrested) and then compounded the situation by resisting arrest and making the police wrestle with him to get him to comply. He should have just manned up and let them arrest him and not been such a stupid jerk. You taze him and may still have died from a heart attack and mace in his eyes might still have triggered an asthma attack. HE should have thought about that and avoided getting arrested.
I think there's enough there to get some kind of a civil lawsuit and settlement and also to have the officer dismissed or at least reprimanded. It didn't rise to the level where he should be criminally charged, IMO. That's what the grand jury thought, at least.
Speaking of Grand Juries, the fascists are questioning our legal system and want a court system with more prosecutorial power and less citizen involvement. Hey, MORONS! You don't want that, trust me. But the government and authorities sure would.
I'm not going to argue that first part AGAIN.

I'm speaking to the bold. I am not asking for less citizen involvement or more prosecutorial power. I am asking for the police to be prosecuted by those who don't have a conflict of interest with them (the DA and police are coworkers).

Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you're a criminal and argue with a cop, you deserve whatever you have coming to you, including death. There should be zero tolerance towards people failing to comply with tax collectors and other agents of the state.
Zero tolerance? Of course everyone has a right to question the law! However, this was not a case of a man questioning authority, he was defying it. He shouldn't have resisted arrest and it appears from the video that the police first approached him patiently and without force.

It's unfortunate, however, that he later died from cardiac arrest, since I disagree that he "deserved" to die. He wasn't a pedophile for pity's sake.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-08-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
There was no need for him to be arrested at that particular point in time. He was arrested in the past, and had a future court date regarding selling illegal cigarettes, but that is not even why the cops were even there in the first place. You don't hear the cops telling him he was under arrest or telling him to put his hands behind his back, the cop just jumps on his back and chokes him until he dies.

Even if you believe he was resisting arrest, there are plenty of things you can do without putting him into a chokehold (banned by the NYPD) to arrest him. Not to mention as far as the Grand Jury is concerned, the fact DA Donovan didn't even make Reckless Endangerment an option for the GJ is absolutely insane.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm not going to argue that first part AGAIN.

I'm speaking to the bold. I am not asking for less citizen involvement or more prosecutorial power. I am asking for the police to be prosecuted by those who don't have a conflict of interest with them (the DA and police are coworkers).
In NY there is talk about having the AG Schneiderman or a Special Prosecuter to be named in future cases involving cases against the Police. However, it might not go anywhere as the State Senate (controlled by the Republicans) have already hinted that they won't take anything up (it would likely need to pass both Houses of the State Legislature and be signed by the Governor)

Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite. When there is a public official involved there should be a commission set up comprising of law enforcement and various citizens to determine the correct path to take.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Maybe there would have been a trial if they didn't give immunity to the other officers.
Or if the proper charges were presented but the point that the only desire was to protect all the officers as opposed to getting to the truth and justice is correct.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Zero tolerance? Of course everyone has a right to question the law! However, this was not a case of a man questioning authority, he was defying it. He shouldn't have resisted arrest and it appears from the video that the police first approached him patiently and without force.

It's unfortunate, however, that he later died from cardiac arrest, since I disagree that he "deserved" to die. He wasn't a pedophile for pity's sake.
Nobody should ever be arrested for selling loose cigarette's on a street corner. Do you support arrest people for jaywalking? Parking too far from the curb?

Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times
Must read

Unarmed People of Color Killed by Police, 1999-2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies