Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times

Advertisements

Where are the protests against the shooting of Gilbert Collar? the unarmed man that was shot and killed by police and the police were cleared.

Gilbert Collar was killed in 2012...I think of myself as someone that pays attention to events in the news

Did I miss the protests for Gilbert Collar?

I didn't hear his name on TV or as a headline online.

It sounds like Collar was more vulnerable and less of a threat than Brown as he did not touch the officer and was naked so obviously unarmed..

"Critics also note there has been no rioting or sustained protest in Mobile, even though the slightly built Collar, unlike Brown, never touched the officer and, because he was naked when he was shot, was more obviously unarmed.

Both shooting victims were found with marijuana in their systems."

Read more: White teen Gilbert Collar killed by black cop Trevis Austin in Alabama mirrors Ferguson - Washington Times

It seems that Collar's death was ignored simply because he was white.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
There are plenty of horror stories about cops killing and injuring people of all races. The media, Obama and the rest of the powers like to make issues like this about race. Not only is it a more juicy spin for the media, but it divides the country and prevents people from coming together to protest the issue en mass.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Where are the protests against the shooting of Gilbert Collar? the unarmed man that was shot and killed by police and the police were cleared.

Gilbert Collar was killed in 2012...I think of myself as someone that pays attention to events in the news

It sounds like Collar was more vulnerable and less of a threat than Brown as he did not touch the officer and was naked so obviously unarmed..

"Critics also note there has been no rioting or sustained protest in Mobile, even though the slightly built Collar, unlike Brown, never touched the officer and, because he was naked when he was shot, was more obviously unarmed.

Read more: White teen Gilbert Collar killed by black cop Trevis Austin in Alabama mirrors Ferguson - Washington Times

Just because a dude is small doesn't mean he can't put up a good fight, especially when hopped up on some crazy drug like meth. I read about Mr Collar getting dropped by the cops; it is what it is. Had he NOT went off his chain, he'd probably be alive in 2014.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
When i speak out on the Ferguson case, i am personally speaking out against police brutality in general.

This was at the heart of the issue to me; race being a very far behind secondary issue.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
Quote:

This dude was also on meth or some really hard hallucinogenic. They were probably scared that he had the drug induced strength that crazy druggies get. They had protests (most participants seemed to be fellow students) but much like the protest s after a cop kills someone or there is a regular traffic death it got little airtime.

A great idea would be for these protesters to join with the Ferguson folks. It would really help the narrative to expand beyond Mike Brown. From what I've gathered that seems to be the motivation of many protesters. This just seems to be the story that got enough hype to be the catalyst.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
So it's another one of these, huh?

If you're going to do this, then name EVERY person who was killed without any protests or media coverage.

It's only fair, right...?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So it's another one of these, huh?

If you're going to do this, then name EVERY person who was killed without any protests or media coverage.

It's only fair, right...?

^ Seriously. And make it just ONE post please!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Where does it say that Collar was on Meth?

This article says LSD , but LSD isn't known to be a drug that people get violent on.

New Developments in Gil Collar Shooting Case

In the Case of Collar he never touched the officer or tried to grab his weapon.

It really seems the shooting was less justified in the Collar case.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
Quote:
Where does it say that Collar was on Meth?

This article says LSD , but LSD isn't known to be a drug that people get violent on.

New Developments in Gil Collar Shooting Case

In the Case of Collar he never touched the officer or tried to grab his weapon.

It really seems the shooting was less justified in the Collar case.
Was this for me? I said meth or a hallucinogenic. LSD would qualify. Not sure if a campus cop is used to knowing if someone presenting as a crazed druggie is on LSD, which can cause psychotic episodes and an inability to sense danger or something else.

I agree about your assessment. Sounds like another unarmed shooting where trading might have worked but it seems that he did chase the cop down. Not sure if the cop knew about both incidents of assault and biting that the victim did right before their interaction. Poor guy. He was probably out of his mind and had no idea what he was doing.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:

Actually, there were Protest at the University of South Alabama and it was all over the news when it happened, but didnt stay on the national stage long.

Arguing that because you didnt see it , means it didnt happen is a horrible argument on your part.

Last edited by dsjj251; 12-01-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies