Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 02:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times

Advertisements

As long as my fries are hot, I don't give a **** who or what serves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Conservatives are funny animals. They are happy to see people go out of work just to make a point. They'll rape, wreck, and pillage this country just to show those "leftists" who's boss
Sooooo, you are upset because automation is going to get rid of two $8/hour McJobs and replace it with 1 $15/hour real job? And somehow this is the fault of conservatives?

The lesson here that some people haven't learned is that passing laws and making mandates that the market won't bear will be met by people bypassing the law or finding other ways to deal with it. It's called unintended consequences.

Besides, this is nothing new....most retailers have added self-checkouts long ago, same concept.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Soon the cashiers won't have to worry about not getting their $15/hour at McDonalds.
They can go look for new jobs and demand that $15/hour.
Yeah, good luck with that. LOL They can cite all their years of experience taking orders at the counter at McDonald's! I'm sure they will find plenty of openings at companies who really need that kind of experience. [tongue in cheek] I'm sure $15/hr will seem like a bargain to any employer.

Quote:
McDonald's expands custom sandwich option
Responding to declining same-store sales, falling stock prices and a shrinking base of younger customers, the world's largest fast-food chain will announce plans to vastly expand its "Create Your Taste" test platform.

Create Your Taste lets customers skip the counter and head to tablet-like kiosks where they can customize everything about their burger, from the type of bun to the variety of cheese to the many, gloppy toppings and sauces that can go on it.
What has until now been a tiny test in four Southern California stores is immediately expanding to 30 locations in five more states and in 2015 to 2,000 U.S. locations, or about one in seven of the 14,000 domestic McDonald's restaurants, says Watson. The five additional states: Illinois, Wisconsin, Georgia, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
Well, I guess they will require someone to put those custom burgers together, but that may require fewer employees per store than they now have, and those people will have to have a bit more "on the ball" and some cooking experience, I would think. This would be more like short order cooking, not like what they do now where almost everything is made up in advance, microwaved, and a couple of toppings thrown at it.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I ate lunch today at Panera Bread and ordered using a Kiosk.
It was much faster than waiting in line and a good experience.

No harder than using an ATM.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So I have to place my own order, it takes longer, AND it costs me more??? No thanks. If I'm doing some of the work for you, I expect a discount.

Don't you already always "place your own order"?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
As long as my fries are hot, I don't give a **** who or what serves it.
Pay the cooks $15 an hour and your fries will be hot!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
It's called "Create your Taste" with kiosks deployed at the table where you can create your own custom burger.
It will cost a bit more and take more time to get to your table, but it went over well in test markets in California.
So they are expanding it to 30 locations in 5 states with further expansions slated for next year.

Soon the cashiers won't have to worry about not getting their $15/hour at McDonalds.
They can go look for new jobs and demand that $15/hour.

McDonald's expands custom sandwich option
Responding to declining same-store sales, falling stock prices and a shrinking base of younger customers, the world's largest fast-food chain will announce plans to vastly expand its "Create Your Taste" test platform.

Create Your Taste lets customers skip the counter and head to tablet-like kiosks where they can customize everything about their burger, from the type of bun to the variety of cheese to the many, gloppy toppings and sauces that can go on it.
What has until now been a tiny test in four Southern California stores is immediately expanding to 30 locations in five more states and in 2015 to 2,000 U.S. locations, or about one in seven of the 14,000 domestic McDonald's restaurants, says Watson. The five additional states: Illinois, Wisconsin, Georgia, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
You sound like you are happy to see this happen.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You sound like you are happy to see this happen.
Conservatives are always happy to see the poor and skilless of society lose their job.

Until they start getting welfare.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Conservatives are always happy to see the poor and skilless of society lose their job.

Until they start getting welfare.
Conservatives shouldn't be celebrating too hard as these people lose their ability to make a living. Lots of Conservatives are going to find themselves in that welfare line in the future as well, as more and more jobs are lost to automation, even among the white collar workers. Somehow, I doubt it will seem so amusing to them then...

Old 12-08-2014, 03:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Basic income is probably going to be inevitable and necessary.
Neither.

You simply have to change the way you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sure...

Then why the snarky remark about $15/hour wages?
It's an appropriate remark for people who just can't wrap their brains around reality.

It's even more appropriate for the "entitlement crowd."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The REALITY of this discussion is that we WARNED you that this would happen. We didn't MAKE it happen, YOU did with your unrealistic demands. We merely explained the obvious to you, in that these sorts of changes would take place if you use unnatural forces to increase the cost of labor. It's not rocket science, but maybe it's just as hard to comprehend for some people.
Excellent.

How many times do you have to tell a moron not to stick a fork in his eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lease the equipment, its a tax write off, contract out for maintenance, its a tax write off etc..
You got that right.

My guess is the Left will attempt to alter the Internal Revenue Code in retaliation.

Its the very same reason these companies rarely own the property they operate out of..

Government enticing businesses through tax manipulation to harm the public on a mass scale..[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In the end though automation is going to wipe the floor with anyone and everyone.

Just like the dot.coms did....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies