Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nothing new there, though. My first job in advertising was over 25 years ago. My boss at the time bought the newest technology when it came out, and in the process 3 employees lost their jobs. Two of those were freelancing on his time, and one missed at least a day a week for one reason or another.

He told me that it was it was cheaper to buy new equipment than to pay employees that brought nothing to the business. He did keep me on, however, and gave me a big raise, deciding that I brought a lot to his business.
Bingo! That's how it works.

I love advertising. It's a fascinating topic. Ever read "Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind" by Al Ries and Jack Trout?

One of my favorite ads that I remember seeing as a teen was a print ad for Sony TV. It was simply a photo of a Sony TV on a white background, and the headline: "Sony. No baloney." That was it! No copy at all.

Another highly successful ad was for 7-Up They took advantage of what they were not. "The Un-cola"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes it does.. I've sat in meetings where the cost analysis is to automate vs employee labor
These "Occupy" types just don't 'get it.' They can't understand why nobody wants to pay $15/hr for labor that is only worth probably (in reality) $5/hr. They are pushing it at $7 or $8.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You're just pulling figures out of your butt...

if your scenario was true, we would have automated everytone out of a job in the 1940's..
Kind of like Barack Obama ... he had a sore throat ... went to see the doctor, who told him to "bend over; I'll check it out."

You are so right, though. Automation is nothing new, but there will never NOT be a need for manual labor.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Have it your way, have it your way... Oh wait..

Or maybe.. Where's the beef? nope
Both of the above were highly successful ads, by the way.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
7 Minutes to get your crappy "food" and it will cost $9? Why not go to a real restaurant/deli?

Someone still needs to bring the food to the table and manually make it when the kiosk goes wrong (if the kiosk even makes all those customized sandwiches in the first place).

This is a move out of desperation IMO. McDonald's enjoyed a very nice run but their only option now is to grow in countries that are not aware of the quality of their food.
I don't know how it rates now, but there was a time (1970's) when McDonald's food was very highly rated nutritionally, and for taste. Good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"But the chain needs to take risks. It recently reported its worst same-store sales decline in more than a decade. McDonald's stock has lagged its peers. CEO Don Thompson knows that if results don't improve sooner rather than later, his job could be on the line. In the third quarter, when McDonald's earnings plunged 30%, Thompson conceded that the company had lost relevance for key young consumers. "
They used to have a great burger (forget what they called it) that was more like what you might make at home: a good tasting beef pattie, lettuce, tomato, mayo, cheese and pickle chips. We used to like them. The last time we went to McD's, they didn't have them anymore, and we didn't think what we got instead was very good. I think their quality has gone down.

Wendy's, on the other hand, (Where's the Beef? - a highly successful Wendy's commercial) has always been excellent quality, at least when Dave Thomas was still around. I don't know if they have maintained it. I haven't eaten at a Wendy's in years either.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Those who demand to be paid more than they are worth actually hasten the elimination of their jobs.

The right way to ask for more money is to improve your skills and knowledge and find that job where those skills and knowledge are needed. But, that's the 'old fashioned' way, I guess. Nowadays, these young punks think they should be paid more 'just because.' They don't want to do anymore. "I need more money, therefore you must pay me more."

What never occurs to these people is that the cost of their labor must be offset by increased productivity. There has to be a return on investment for the employer.
When a bunch of people improve their skills that is just gonna lower the wage of those higher paying jobs you just do not get it you just are intent are blaming the poor. The return investment for the employer is that a better paid better treated worker will have more desire to work harder, stay for overtime, change jobs in the company and not leave and go somewhere else but people like you who just wanna screw the employees do not understand that.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, this is just hilarious! Thanks for the laughter! You are making my day!

And, just who is going to provide that "basic income?" Where is the money going to come from?
Laugh all you want automation is coming I hope if it takes your job you are ready but I am sure you are okay because you are a "millionaire" i am sure.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
1 person employed vs's 60.

yup that sure adds lots of opportunity. lol.

Great for that 1 of course. Maybe when I retire I will do something like that. LOL. Finally a reasonable job at McDonalds for people like me when they retire.
There will be more that one person servicing those machines. One person can't handle an entire city's worth of McDonald's. Some enterprising entrepreneur will start a service business just to take care of those machines, or an already existing company will add that to their line of services.

New technology spawns new employment opportunity. That's what we've been trying to tell you, but you don't believe it.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
When a bunch of people improve their skills that is just gonna lower the wage of those higher paying jobs you just do not get it you just are intent are blaming the poor. The return investment for the employer is that a better paid better treated worker will have more desire to work harder, stay for overtime, change jobs in the company and not leave and go somewhere else but people like you who just wanna screw the employees do not understand that.
Companies do not care about "people"..they care about LABOR COSTS.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Right because it is so easy to start a new business. You have to have money to start a business and most people working low wage jobs do not have extra money laying around. If a bunch of people open businesses most are going fail because the economy can not support that many businesses at one time. Not surprised how this thread is going Right Wingers not staying on topic just finding ways to bash the poor.
OK......starting a business can mean something small.....at first.

Example.......repair small equipment......lawn movers.......ect.

That can be done with a very small investment........in your garage.....buy parts as needed.

That will give you write offs........this will give you all of your money back the government takes from your regular job. (not FICA)

This give you your "seed" money to expand.

I just watched a friend do this with cleaning homes.........now, she makes good money.......and just works for herself.

Now, you can tell me this won't work........and for you it will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies