Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

I don't eat McDonalds food. I might get coffee from there, but other than that, no burgers or other stuff from there. I basically have no use for McDonalds. One major result is me losing alot of weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
"Software substitution" has been more of a top down thing.

Just about any " rule based " job function can and will be replaced by technology.

One of my favorite examples is retail banking. Used to be that most folk spent their entire lunch hour in line waiting to deposit their paycheck. There were armies of tellers and people who supported and audited them. These were middle class jobs with good benefits, held mostly by people with high school degrees.

Direct deposit, ATMs and then electronic banking changed all that. Those full time armies have been replaced with skeleton crews of part timers for the increasingly rare consumer who prefers to bank in person. Whoosh. All of a sudden, a hundred thousand former white collar, middle class positions ,with benefits, eliminated.
This was a great on-target post. Add in to that the fact that every bank had a clerical person who did nothing but answer phones. I consider myself quite fortunate these days to deal with any company bank or otherwise that actually has a LIVE person answer the phone without having to hit 1 for English, 2 for customer service, listen to 16 different menu options for who in customer service I want to speak with, and then still have to leave a detailed voice message in the hopes that someone will call me back two weeks from now.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
We lost jobs to China and to machines.. what is new?

The rich get richer, the poor get a big list of freebees and the middle class gets the tax bill.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes it does.. I've sat in meetings where the cost analysis is to automate vs employee labor
Please. Every year the cost of automation drops. Its not a matter of if like you want to indicate, its a matter of when. And $15/hr or $8/hr the time difference will be close to a 18 months. Thats it.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's called "Create your Taste" with kiosks deployed at the table where you can create your own custom burger.
It will cost a bit more and take more time to get to your table, but it went over well in test markets in California.
So they are expanding it to 30 locations in 5 states with further expansions slated for next year.

Soon the cashiers won't have to worry about not getting their $15/hour at McDonalds.
They can go look for new jobs and demand that $15/hour.

McDonald's expands custom sandwich option
Responding to declining same-store sales, falling stock prices and a shrinking base of younger customers, the world's largest fast-food chain will announce plans to vastly expand its "Create Your Taste" test platform.

Create Your Taste lets customers skip the counter and head to tablet-like kiosks where they can customize everything about their burger, from the type of bun to the variety of cheese to the many, gloppy toppings and sauces that can go on it.
What has until now been a tiny test in four Southern California stores is immediately expanding to 30 locations in five more states and in 2015 to 2,000 U.S. locations, or about one in seven of the 14,000 domestic McDonald's restaurants, says Watson. The five additional states: Illinois, Wisconsin, Georgia, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
That is a heck of a lot better than years ago: I walked into a Micky Ds and asked for onions on my fish sandwich. well. you would have thought I asked for a lobster tail on my burger bun or something. I was told, that was impossible. The sandwich doesn't come with onions. I asked if I could just buy a little container of oinions then? Nope, they don't sell them, I even asked to speak to a manager. It didn't make any difference; fish sandwiches didn't come with onions. It must have been 5 years before I returned to a McDonalds and have probably only been in one 1/2 dozen times since.

This has nothing to do with politics may I add. if it saves money and gives a better product, good deal. Maybe we will even see fewer people wanting to come to America illegally for what they precieve as better jobs? Maybe it will stop the crazies from wanting $15 an hour for a job that a robot can do better?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Somewhat true, but why is it other locations like China for example, dont have the same excuse? They are growing by leaps and bounds, taking our jobs away from us..

Automation is only part of the problem, and not even a fair representation of the complete picture.
You mean where Foxxconn is working hard at replacing their labor with robots?

Where jobs can be outsourced they will, but those same jobs are often also the ones that are most easily replaced with automation. Unless of course you can find even cheaper labor....which is why China has been having some serious competition at the "how cheap can we do it" area.

In the end though automation is going to wipe the floor with anyone and everyone.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
All business costs are write offs.

We own all of our equipment.
yes, but leasing offers certain tax advantages over owning,

leasing is a deduction, owning is a deprecation value..

You get a 1 for 1 tax credit for leasing yearly while depreciation values are amortized out over years, sometimes decades depending on the type of equipment.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. Every year the cost of automation drops. Its not a matter of if like you want to indicate, its a matter of when. And $15/hr or $8/hr the time difference will be close to a 18 months. Thats it.
You're just pulling figures out of your butt...

if your scenario was true, we would have automated everytone out of a job in the 1940's..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean where Foxxconn is working hard at replacing their labor with robots?

Where jobs can be outsourced they will, but those same jobs are often also the ones that are most easily replaced with automation. Unless of course you can find even cheaper labor....which is why China has been having some serious competition at the "how cheap can we do it" area.

In the end though automation is going to wipe the floor with anyone and everyone.
Of course automation is going to wipe the floor with anyone and everyone. I run my complete company, with 14 million products for sale using 32 computers..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Somewhat true, but why is it other locations like China for example, dont have the same excuse? They are growing by leaps and bounds, taking our jobs away from us..

Automation is only part of the problem, and not even a fair representation of the complete picture.
US was built on the backs of imported free and cheap labor, slaves and immigrants, legal and otherwise.

Then it became cheaper to export the work.

No one, especially the US consumer, is willing to pay a premium to sustain the US middle class.

The US represents about 5 % of the world's population. Consumerism has peaked. Population is declining. It's all about emerging middle class economies, in Asia. Multinationals and their shareholders understand

China has become too expensive. Business has and will continue to move elsewhere in Asia creating new middle classes of people who will have money to consume product. The wealthy Chinese are leaving China for the US and Canada. Clean air and water, better quality of life and the ability to have more children are big draws.

Indonesia now represents Tupperware's largest market. Tupperware parties/ direct sales make new products available to an enormous base spread out so that there is no competition.

Product is manufactured in Indonesia creating jobs for people who will then consume. The US Tupperware home office and their shareholders do the happy dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies