Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you also believe things like "environment stewardship", "clean water", "due process", "equal right", etc are too vague when people bring them up?
Could you elaborate? Yes, just mentioning these can be vague, but something like clean water is pretty straightforward. Is the water healthy to drink? If it is, and someone still says he wants clean water, then I'd ask him what he meant by "clean."
As I mentioned, our government is already limited, so when someone says "limited" government, I have to ask what he means by "limited."

Do you deny that the government has limitations? I listed a few, so if you still deny it, an explanation is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So go to where there is no government control. you can find close to in many housing projects.Many hood dang near it in say Compton.
Actually, the projects are a creation of government. Fail

Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It means we need to come to the conclusion that government is always the problem and never the solution.

People keep turning to government to solve the problems, when in fact it is government that creates the problems.

We will never begin to turn things around until we begin to dismantle government.
So basically you are saying we should nave NO government? Yeah, I don't think you are ready to deal with a world without a government. I can't say a country without a government because it would no longer be a country.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Actually, the projects are a creation of government. Fail
The point is that these are places not under government control. They are usually controlled by gangs. Who or what created them is irrelevant to this point.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So basically you are saying we should nave NO government? Yeah, I don't think you are ready to deal with a world without a government. I can't say a country without a government because it would no longer be a country.
Yes here comes the argument that it is the government that keeps our sandwiches safe to eat and without government our computer monitors would explode maiming the majority of the population.

Seriously, do we need some government? Unfortunately yes. Do we need government on the scale we have today? Absolutely not.

The powers of government are clearly laid out and limited by the Constitution. The problem is the government no longer abides by the contract it made with the people and today has become a tyranny instead of a servant.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yes here comes the argument that it is the government that keeps our sandwiches safe to eat and without government our computer monitors would explode maiming the majority of the population.

Seriously, do we need some government? Unfortunately yes. Do we need government on the scale we have today? Absolutely not.

The powers of government are clearly laid out and limited by the Constitution. The problem is the government no longer abides by the contract it made with the people and today has become a tyranny instead of a servant.
No, it is society that keeps us safe. In this society, we have decided to go with a system that elects representatives to represent our needs. Those representatives make up our government. Our government is not some invading foreign force, our government is elected Americans.

This whole idea that there is some measurable size of the government is purely laughable, but it makes for a great bullet point. "I support smaller government." That phrase has no meaning, but it sounds nice.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The point is that these are places not under government control. They are usually controlled by gangs. Who or what created them is irrelevant to this point.
Really, you are sinking to the level of poorly constructed logical fallacies? What created them is exactly the point. They are a perfect example of what happens when government tries to solve a problem. As I said before government does not solve problems, it creates them.

There are many places where there is no government to speak of and people live just fine.
Most of the smaller towns in Alaska have no police, no building inspectors, or any of the other bureaucrats that you seem to think are necessary to tell you how to live your life, and people are happy and healthy.
There is not rampant crime, no ones house is falling down, they are simply living without interference from government as we all could if we eliminated most of it.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
No, it is society that keeps us safe. In this society, we have decided to go with a system that elects representatives to represent our needs. Those representatives make up our government. Our government is not some invading foreign force, our government is elected Americans.

This whole idea that there is some measurable size of the government is purely laughable, but it makes for a great bullet point. "I support smaller government." That phrase has no meaning, but it sounds nice.
Again we have logical fallacies and wild ass assumptions. How the hell does society keep us safe? Who is the "we" that elects the criminal element in government? It is not the people, the people are given a choice between two candidates who have both been bought by the corporate powers who own every aspect of government outright. Your vote means nothing. You are an ignorant pawn in a game you do not even understand. You think government represents your needs? The government heards you like cattle, and treats you like the wage slave you are.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Again we have logical fallacies and wild ass assumptions. How the hell does society keep us safe? Who is the "we" that elects the criminal element in government?
I have to describe to you who the "we" are? I am talking about, you, me, your neighbors, the people that live in your town, that live in your state, that are all Americans. That is what "we" means. I thought that was an easy one for anyone to understand.

Quote:
It is not the people, the people are given a choice between two candidates who have both been bought by the corporate powers who own every aspect of government outright. Your vote means nothing. You are an ignorant pawn in a game you do not even understand. You think government represents your needs? The government heards you like cattle, and treats you like the wage slave you are.
That is your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that those candidates you are (well not you because it is obvious you don't vote) are actual Americans, so yes, they are elected representatives. If one wants to have a candidate that isn't a Republican or Democrat in office, then they have to actually vote for that candidate. Other parties don't get elected to office because someone just wants to see other types of representatives, they get into office when people actually vote for them.

You are welcome to either leave the country or take to the streets to protest or fight the country to get what you want, then be my guest. Complaining about wanting no government in the comforts of a governed country isn't ever going to get you anything.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
You are welcome to either leave the country or take to the streets to protest or fight the country to get what you want, then be my guest. Complaining about wanting no government in the comforts of a governed country isn't ever going to get you anything.
The comforts of a governed country:

No information not deemed good by government will ever get to you.

No idea that are unapproved will ever be thought.

No unplanned changes in society.

No crazy individualism. Everyone WILL ACT exactly alike. In the approved manner.

I'm sure you find that comforting.

But nobody was advocating no government. They were just not advocating the radical mob tyranny you pine and hunger for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies