Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
American leeches are the problem here, not British ones.
There's no need to bring up the south....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 PM

963 posts, read 690,850 times
I'm more concerned about Hussein and Michelle living like billionaires off the AMERICAN Taxpayer.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-10-2014 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,140,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is this ok since they do a lot of charity work and make appearances?

I never bought into this. But they're beloved celebrities and icons.
Being as they are not our taxpayers I'm fine with it.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'm more concerned about Hussein and Michelle living like billionaires off the AMERICAN Taxpayer.
I'm more concerned about your lack of education and general knowledge. What is going on in America when people don't even know the President's name.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-10-2014 at 04:32 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,344,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm more concerned about your lack of education and general knowledge. What is going on in America when people don't even know the President's name.
...or the First Lady's name, for that matter. Tsk, tsk.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:37 AM

27,190 posts, read 15,367,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's no need to bring up the south....

Newark moved?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:16 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,241,458 times
Actually, it's not up to the taxpayers to grouse.
The queen is the sovereign.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,442,642 times
Interesting little chat here....... I'm 61 years old, and the Queen was crowned the year I was born. So she's been around a long time.

When I was a little boy at infant school, there was a big photo of the Queen on the classroom wall. She was smiling and holding a baby...... I assume one of her children. Every Christmas Day, she gave a little 10 minute speech on the television, always finishing with seasons greetings. She does it to this day.

The Royal Family were a distant group. The Queen would appear to launch a new ship, or open a new hospital. Every year, there is a charity event called the Royal Variety Show, and we would see her on television, before the show, stepping out of her Rolls-Royce, smiling, and waving to the crowds. Loyal husband Philip, always a few steps behind.

She was just there, part of the social fabric of the country. When her children married, there would be a big occasion, the gold and glass carriages would be dusted off, and we would get a day off school, and later, for when Charles and Diana married, a day off work. Very nice......... the crowds came out and cheered, and in the main, the Royals were very popular. Then Charles married Diana.........

The press were ecstatic....... a love match the papers crowed. Diana had her sons, and everything seemed fine, then it hit the fan. Charles was seeing Camilla, and Diana knew it. Royal wives were expected to quietly put up with this, as they had through history. Diana was different, and kicked up a fuss, then had her own affairs.

The people behind the Royals, the flunkies, tried to destroy her, but she ran rings round them..... all on her own. She almost brought them down. It was a close run thing. If she hadn't have died, I'm not sure if they would have survived in their present position. After her death, they regrouped, and slowly regained the public's affection.

Even Charles has regained the public's good feeling. Now that was a great job done..... even got his mistress as his wife. We don't forget though. He'll never be a popular King. He will be an old man when he gets the job. But, we look at Diana's boy William, and he's turned out all right. He's found a good girl, and married her. His brother Harry was a bit wild, but has gained the British public's fondness. He lost his mother at an early age, but has pulled himself together, and is serving his country.

The Queen sails on, almost 90 years old. Still doing her duty. She has grown in my affection with the years. She still travels round the country, opening new hospital wings, or unveiling a statue or two. Now, folks may say, yeah, she is driven round in her Rolls-Royce, makes a little speech, then goes back to Buckingham Palace. What's hard about that? Well, as I said, she is a very old woman. She gets up early, gets her fancy duds on, and slaps on her hat, and off she goes. Many a cold morning, and she has her feet up in front of the fire, she must think, "geez, all I have to do is say I'm unwell, and I can stay home, nice and warm." She doesn't. This woman of vast wealth, goes off and does what she sees as her duty to her people and country. Go and smile, and shake a few hands. I admire that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVI_qmpXPg

Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,975,950 times
Paying for the monarchy makes just as much sense as paying to renovate historical buildings. The monarchy is part of the British national identity just as much as tea or their castles are so why get rid of them?

Old 12-10-2014, 05:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is this ok since they do a lot of charity work and make appearances?

I never bought into this. But they're beloved celebrities and icons.
The Royals are a huge tourist attraction.

The Brits seem to adore them, some to the point of obsession.

None of my business how the family is compensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies