Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

you know I don't really think about it much: I am not a resident of UK, their rules and policies do not affect us, so it make no difference. I will say, I am a little tired of hearing the names: Kate and William all the time, but there a lot of people fascinated by celebrities, which is what they are. At least they are not bombing the world or rioting. that is the positive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is this ok since they do a lot of charity work and make appearances?

I never bought into this. But they're beloved celebrities and icons.

"they do a lot of charity work"?

First, that isn`t work.

This guy`s only real job is to father an heir.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-09-2014 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: implied obscenity

Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
I couldn't care less as I am not a British citizen. I care about the way my tax dollars are wasted here in the United States.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:

Umm, for the most part they don't live off of taxpayer money. Tax revenue goes to maintenance and upkeep of the royal grounds, as well as expenses such as state appearances.

Prince William has a job which pays about 60k a year, but he also has access to a trust fund as well as the proceeds from his holdings as a Duke, Earl, and Baron.

Aside from that, I could care less if he was living off of the taxpayers, since I'm not one of them. When the United States figures out that paying lifelong pensions to a pack of consummate liars because they managed to lie a little bit better than their competition is a seriously flawed fiscal policy, then I'll worry about what the rest of the world does.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hard to believe that there are people who still believe a family has a divine right to rule. To top it off, it's been a while since Great Britain had a monarch that was convincing enough for people to actually fall for this farce.
The British monarchy has no ruling power..

They are nothing more than a figurehead now..

Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
The Brits' problem. Frankly if I were a British tax payer I would be against giving them money of any kind from tax payer coffers (they have enough of their own, charge for entrance into their estates and castles, etc.).

I find the idea of monarchy -- even a figurehead one -- abhorrent in principal. But I do enjoy it for tourist purposes.

But again, it's up to the British to do their thing.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Bow? Who the hell bows?
Not Americans! A war was fought over that.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Personally, I'd like to think if the queen actually did have ruling power anymore (which she doesn't) she do a damn sight better than what we're stuck with currently. A self-imposed want-to-be dictator, and 535 (100 senate/435 house) court jesters.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:

I wouldn't like it if I lived there but at least they have some class. Look at the leeches that live off of our tax dollars, just take a stroll thru some of the hoods of Detroit, St. Louis, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, LA etc. not much class there.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
I'm not sure why American taxpayers would care.

But just for the purposes of being informed, the British tax dollars that go to the Royal Family is actually a salary paid in exchange for keeping the profits from the lands owned by the monarchs. Britain pays 40 Million Pounds to the Royals in exchange for 200 Million Pounds of Profit from the Royals land. After paying for the Royals, England makes 160 Million Pounds in profit on that land every year.

And they are a huge part of Britain's tourism industry. The Royal Family brings much more to England's coffers than they take, by far. Getting rid of them would end up costing the tax payers. I think having a monarch is silly, but from a purely financial standpoint, they are a huge money maker for England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies