Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:47 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
This is because climate change became a partisan issue rather than a scientific one. Democrats paint themselves as supporters of science and promise to tackle climate change while doing little about it. Republicans claim to fight some secret scientist cabal in the interest of the free market. Both get votes because of it, both get support from certain influential characters because of it. Had GW been a purely matter-of-fact issue between scientists, and then the administration acted on their advice, we wouldn't have such an issue.
GW Bush is the reason there even IS a debate. His attack on science wasn't limited only to stem cell research, it also included climate science. His family has deep ties to the Texas oil tycoons that go back to the 1950s and like most people on this board, he didn't want to hear that something he loves so much is causing problems for the planet.

And this thread is ridiculous. So OP is mad because people want to save the rainforest because of AGW instead of saving the same rainforest because of other issues? Why does it matter why people are saving the rainforest if you get the same result?

And in case you haven't noticed most people don't give a **** about the environment unless killing things in it affects them directly. Climate change affects them and the future of the human race, so they're paying attention. Most 'normal' pollution issues are local concerns... good luck getting people outside of those communities to care about that.

You will always have your groups of die-hard environmentalists doing their part while the rest of the people have limited amounts of concern and whose efforts to take action amount to exactly zero. I mean, it's not like all of these threats of global disaster have convinced people to stop buying iPhones, using so much electricity or driving their cars.

The denialists are winning... I don't know why they're always getting so upset and pretending to be under attack by the evil Liberal establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Ok, so I think increasing landfills would be a problem that effects everyone. Soil degradation would be another one. Why climate change annoys me is that seems to be the only motivation to do something, besides species extinction, environmentally. Neither of them are our biggest environmental problems though.

As far as the dead birds, I saw them in Louisiana when I was down there during crop dusting time. There were dozens of them dead in the ditch. A friend that works on a cranberry marsh reported the same thing, a bunch of dead birds after they sprayed their place with cropdusting. I know pesticides help, but spraying from ground level eliminates the overspray. And mass erosion is all over the place here in CO. Just look at some of the burn scars around CO Springs after the two fires, although people have went to great lengths to prevent it from happening too much in both of these locations, which is good, although topsoil erosion, like that during the dust bowl is much more harmful than subsoil erosion, as would be the case after a burn scar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies