Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 12:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,753,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
^This.

As long as you don't have to depend on racist human resources personnel doing that jaw-drop hem and haw and "uh, we don't have any jobs right now....no matter what we told you in the telephone interview" sort of thing, then, yes, you'll adapt anywhere. I mean, hell, even Colorado Springs would be OK if I were to be a closed-captioning typist in a call center there where the customers didn't have to see me and all I did for a living was type things for deaf people who DO appreciate it.
The door swings both ways on that. Try getting a city/county job if you're White when the Human Resources person is Black. Specifically a job that doesn't require a college education. People take care of their own, that's for sure.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:49 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The door swings both ways on that. Try getting a city/county job if you're White when the Human Resources person is Black. Specifically a job that doesn't require a college education. People take care of their own, that's for sure.
I've interviewed for a county job, as a Black man, with the HR people being both Black and White. I didn't get the job. Sometimes "one's own" doesn't get taken care of either.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:50 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,753,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, if all one wants to do is complain about Black people, then nothing will come out of it than that. If solutions are what is wanted, then constant complaining about Blacks as a whole won't work.
100% correct. It's the exact same mentality as people who see racism and institutional racism in every event or demand a "conversation about race" every time a Black baseball player is called "out" at 2nd base. They just want to complain about racism and finger point, not look for real solutions.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
100% correct. It's the exact same mentality as people who see racism and institutional racism in every event or demand a "conversation about race" every time a Black baseball player is called "out" at 2nd base. They just want to complain about racism and finger point, not look for real solutions.
This is the thing though. There is still institutional racism taking place.

Here is one thing to look at. Denying or recognizing certain things is one thing. Using those things to vent one's anger is another issue.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM

59,152 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Where are the worst states for black Americans?

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.
IMO, it isn't a state thing, I think it is more an urban area thing.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Turning this into a political thing (Democrat vs Republican) isn't going to get anything done. One thing I've noticed and this needs to be pointed out, is this. Alot of Blacks who are doing well, who have work, and who are well educated, are often living in suburban areas. I would suspect one can find alot of poor Blacks in major cities because many of the educated Blacks and middle class Blacks have gone to suburban areas.

One can show that list of states, but you have to look at those states individually, and look at the dynamic in those states. It isn't as simple as "they're liberal states". Kansas, Nebraska, and Arkansas were mentioned. Republican states. Look at the dynamic in those states.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, it isn't a state thing, I think it is more an urban area thing.
I just mentioned something in an earlier post. One is more likely to find poor Blacks in urban areas. And alot of educated, middle class Blacks are often living in suburban areas. This isn't to say you can't see middle class Blacks living in major cities, as one can find this taking place. However, one has to ask "where are poor Blacks move likely to live?"

And I also mentioned in that post the political slant of this. Sure, one can point to New Jersey, Michigan, and Illinois. However, no one seems to have an answer for Kansas or Arkansas. There were a few posts about Nebraska, but apart from that, this is my point: Look at the states at an individual level, and look at the dynamics in all of them.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 PM

And there is another thing I want to point out. Apart from making this a political thing, there is another subliminal thing I see. If Blacks are doing badly in some "liberal" states, then wouldn't liberal politics be bad for Whites as well? And on the same token, couldn't the same be said for conservative politics? Consider this. Some of the poorest White populations live in conservative states(such as Kentucky and West Virginia).

Old 02-25-2015, 02:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,312,469 times
This is total BS in my opinion. Blacks should not be looked at as a group but as individuals. I know a Black guy who lives in Montana and has lived there for the last 20 years. If life there was bad, I would think he would have moved out by now.

I have traveled a lot through North Dakota and of all states, I think Fargo, Minot and Grand Forks are some of the cities where I have seen the least percentage of Blacks. Minot is about 10% African American because of the Air Force base and I never heard any Blacks complaining about life in North Dakota.

Wisconsin is a state with lots of great smaller tows which have great opportunities for all races. if this poll is focusing primarily on Milwaukee, then yes, life for most Blacks in Milwaukee is probably ****ty but I don't understand why so many settle in a Milwaukee ghetto when there are literally thousands of best places to live in WI.

A few years ago, some similar poll states that Iowa was a bad state for African Americans because we had the highest incarceration rate for AA of any state. All I can say is, they were focusing mostly on Des Moines and Waterloo and our police is very effective, with most people being law abiding. if you come to Iowa to commit crime, chances are you are going to get caught and pay for it, regardless of your race.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is total BS in my opinion. Blacks should not be looked at as a group but as individuals. I know a Black guy who lives in Montana and has lived there for the last 20 years. If life there was bad, I would think he would have moved out by now.

I have traveled a lot through North Dakota and of all states, I think Fargo, Minot and Grand Forks are some of the cities where I have seen the least percentage of Blacks. Minot is about 10% African American because of the Air Force base and I never heard any Blacks complaining about life in North Dakota.

Wisconsin is a state with lots of great smaller tows which have great opportunities for all races. if this poll is focusing primarily on Milwaukee, then yes, life for most Blacks in Milwaukee is probably ****ty but I don't understand why so many settle in a Milwaukee ghetto when there are literally thousands of best places to live in WI.

A few years ago, some similar poll states that Iowa was a bad state for African Americans because we had the highest incarceration rate for AA of any state. All I can say is, they were focusing mostly on Des Moines and Waterloo and our police is very effective, with most people being law abiding. if you come to Iowa to commit crime, chances are you are going to get caught and pay for it, regardless of your race.
Well, it can boil down to this. No one has asked what is best for the individual. No one really asks that question. I'm law abiding, I want to work, the question needs to be what would be best for ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies