Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM

73,064 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Horrible article off cherry-picked data.

Blacks on paper do worse in a lot of New England states simply because inequality rates are so high. NYC has extreme inequality because the world's richest live there. Blacks are disproportionately poor across the board. Therefore, a poor state like Alabama will seemingly look "more favorable" to blacks along those metrics (since Alabama is just... poorer).
Generally, this is one thing few people consider. Blacks as a group, at least on paper, are doing bad compared to the rest of the population. A state like Alabama might look favorable. And the same could be for Kentucky. The reason inequality rates would be lower is because the population at large isn't doing that well.

A better measure would be to get a state where everyone is doing good.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,718,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I only know what I've been told about that area, even from family members. I've been to Minneapolis, but I was a child.

I have never lived in Chicago, Detroit, Flint, or St. Louis. I've lived in the suburbs of various cities (Seattle, DFW, Atlanta). For me it's a different perspective. Maybe it has alot to do with me being on the outside looking, and alot of what I've heard. I know a large part of the murders occur there, but aside from that, what I know comes from what I've heard.

What I do know is this. There is a segment of the Black population in the Twin Cities who is there to work, and to live a good quality of life. I also know there is a segment of the Black population who is there to live off of welfare. I also know that the segment that is hardworking and trying to be productive. However, that segment is often ignored.
What you say is true. There are people who take advantage of the liberal welfare policies. That said, I have never been to a big cities where there is a greater mix of race and class. North Minneapolis is a mixture of all races and classes, although it is majority black.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The think about Blacks moving from Illinois to Minnesota to mooch off welfare is not a joke. I am sure many of them are looking for better opportunities but it can't be denied.

Here in Central Iowa, we get quite a few emigrants from Chicago's Inner City but interestingly enough, many don't adapt to life here, it is very slow paced, there is not a lot to do, the job market here in Ames consists of mostly fast food or factory jobs, the mentality and culture here is totally different so many end up moving back to Chicago.
No one is here to deny that. I'm saying that the specific segment you are talking about is the one segment of the Black population everyone is focusing on. One thing I've learned is this. The more the Blacks who are hardworking get ignored, the more people will forget that they exist, and they will suffer too.

One thing about Ames though. Iowa State University is there. I nearly decided to go there for college, but I stayed in Georgia because of in-state tuition. If one is educated enough, one could get a job with ISU. However, it does confirm a point that welfare seekers aren't the only kind of Blacks going to Chicago. The Blacks going there looking for work is a segment to look at as well. From what I've seen, Iowa has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Cost of living is lower. It is safer as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What you say is true. There are people who take advantage of the liberal welfare policies. That said, I have never been to a big cities where there is a greater mix of race and class. North Minneapolis is a mixture of all races and classes, although it is majority black.
There are things that we can acknowledge. Acknowledging them as a fact isn't the issue. The problem is when those facts are used to vent one's anger towards a particular race, that is when problems result.

And the persons within the Black population that get ignored are those who are actually there to work, to live a decent life.

I might need to make another trip to the Twin Cities. Last time I was there, I was just there to visit family members.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are things that we can acknowledge. Acknowledging them as a fact isn't the issue. The problem is when those facts are used to vent one's anger towards a particular race, that is when problems result.

And the persons within the Black population that get ignored are those who are actually there to work, to live a decent life.

I might need to make another trip to the Twin Cities. Last time I was there, I was just there to visit family members.
Oh yeah....you were on point about HIFI....no doubt. He is just trying to avoid moral injury. What came first the racism or the rationalization? Most racism is learned either overtly and or subliminally from parents or other sources. In order to avoid moral injury a person then needs to find a rationalization for that racism so they will not feel like a "bad person"

Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 PM

59,187 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is total BS in my opinion. Blacks should not be looked at as a group but as individuals. I know a Black guy who lives in Montana and has lived there for the last 20 years. If life there was bad, I would think he would have moved out by now.

I have traveled a lot through North Dakota and of all states, I think Fargo, Minot and Grand Forks are some of the cities where I have seen the least percentage of Blacks. Minot is about 10% African American because of the Air Force base and I never heard any Blacks complaining about life in North Dakota.

Wisconsin is a state with lots of great smaller tows which have great opportunities for all races. if this poll is focusing primarily on Milwaukee, then yes, life for most Blacks in Milwaukee is probably ****ty but I don't understand why so many settle in a Milwaukee ghetto when there are literally thousands of best places to live in WI.

A few years ago, some similar poll states that Iowa was a bad state for African Americans because we had the highest incarceration rate for AA of any state. All I can say is, they were focusing mostly on Des Moines and Waterloo and our police is very effective, with most people being law abiding. if you come to Iowa to commit crime, chances are you are going to get caught and pay for it, regardless of your race.
"Blacks should not be looked at as a group but as individuals." Yes they should but, they are ALSO looked as a group.

Why is there a Congressional BLACK caucus?

How many times have heard from othe politicians saying, 'he doesn't represent the black community"

Why is there a law when voting district are formed that some HAVE to made so that it compromises a large black populous so that blacks will be guarantee a black congressman.

Affirmative Action is to make sure enough minorities get into (fill in the blank) and is based on determined number.
etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah....you were on point about HIFI....no doubt. He is just trying to avoid moral injury. What came first the racism or the rationalization? Most racism is learned either overtly and or subliminally from parents or other sources. In order to avoid moral injury a person then needs to find a rationalization for that racism so they will not feel like a "bad person"
Not even about moral injury. This is just about how one thinks. There are things that need to be acknowledged. However, as to why a person acknowledges them, it can be hard to tell. Having discussions regarding race and crime often turn into histrionics because of the way they are approached. It isn't even about avoiding moral injury as it is the REASON one might want to discuss a topic, and the manner of discussing it.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,529 times
Quote:
Are you projecting servant? You seem to know a lot about this.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Are you projecting servant? You seem to know a lot about this.
I could be....either way it applies to you.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Blacks should not be looked at as a group but as individuals." Yes they should but, they are ALSO looked as a group.

Why is there a Congressional BLACK caucus?

How many times have heard from othe politicians saying, 'he doesn't represent the black community"

Why is there a law when voting district are formed that some HAVE to made so that it compromises a large black populous so that blacks will be guarantee a black congressman.

etc.
None of this has anything to do with the context of the discussion. This has something to do with looking at that list of "worst states for Blacks", and then thinking "What does this list have to do with the individual?" How will a specific Black individual do in one of those states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies