Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Where are the worst states for black Americans?

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.
Your source says, "Black Americans make about 62 cents for every dollar earned by white Americans", and "A typical black household made just 62.3% of the median income of white households in 2013."

Its nice to see conservatives posting sources that acknowledge the above facts.

Chad.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.
LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLOLOL

My state comin' in at #2.

Ironically...we have a TON of African-Americans coming here from all over the country (Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, and you name it)...and can you guess why???

Well we know why.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black and educated, and I would never live in that part of Minneapolis. I would never live in Milwaukee's North Side either. My father was born and raised in Milwaukee's North Side, and he left, never to live there again.

It is true that in the past, Blacks live where they could get housing. They lived wherever someone said "yes, you can rent here or buy a house here". It worked that way with my father's neighborhood. He lived there and while it was one of the rougher parts of the city, there were some middle class Black families there. Once housing discrimination ended, Blacks who made it into the middle class left, and those who made it into the middle class and were thinking about living there decided not to live there. Basically, what happens is that the educated and middle class Blacks leave, and many of the poor and "ghetto minded" stay. Few people have ever explored that dynamic.
You and I are nearly always on the same page....but not on this one. Middle Class blacks DO live in North Minneapolis....as well as middle class whites and Asians. It's not nearly as bad as it's reputation....and if you are coming from Detroit, Chicago, Flint, Gary, StL or the like.....North Minneapolis is appealing as a Middle Class person. Yes...there are people who are afraid of North Minneapolis, as a result of being on the outside looking in, but if you spend a lot of time in the area it's not nearly as bad as it's reputation.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

Ironically...we have a TON of African-Americans coming here from all over the country (Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, and you name it)...and can you guess why???

Well we know why.
Well, I posted an MPR article about it on this thread. While it acknowledges that there are Blacks moving to the Twin Cities to mooch off of welfare, it also acknowledges the Blacks that are moving there because there are JOBS. Why is that side of the story often ignored?

Old 02-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You and I are nearly always on the same page....but not on this one. Middle Class blacks DO live in North Minneapolis....as well as middle class whites and Asians. It's not nearly as bad as it's reputation....and if you are coming from Detroit, Chicago, Flint, Gary, StL or the like.....North Minneapolis is appealing as a Middle Class person. Yes...there are people who are afraid of North Minneapolis, as a result of being on the outside looking in, but if you spend a lot of time in the area it's not nearly as bad as it's reputation.
I only know what I've been told about that area, even from family members. I've been to Minneapolis, but I was a child.

I have never lived in Chicago, Detroit, Flint, or St. Louis. I've lived in the suburbs of various cities (Seattle, DFW, Atlanta). For me it's a different perspective. Maybe it has alot to do with me being on the outside looking, and alot of what I've heard. I know a large part of the murders occur there, but aside from that, what I know comes from what I've heard.

What I do know is this. There is a segment of the Black population in the Twin Cities who is there to work, and to live a good quality of life. I also know there is a segment of the Black population who is there to live off of welfare. I also know that the segment that is hardworking and trying to be productive. However, that segment is often ignored.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Horrible article off cherry-picked data.

Blacks on paper do worse in a lot of New England states simply because inequality rates are so high. NYC has extreme inequality because the world's richest live there. Blacks are disproportionately poor across the board. Therefore, a poor state like Alabama will seemingly look "more favorable" to blacks along those metrics (since Alabama is just... poorer).

Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
It is all very subjective. When I lived in New Mexico, I used to travel a lot through the Northeastern corner of state, the biggest city in that region being Raton. We are talking about a very empty corner of the state where people still ranch and have been for the last 200 years.

There is a town called Folsom, New Mexico which was founded by a Black cowboy, George McJunkin, this guy is revered and very respected for all the good he did for the area. I wonder how he would have done if he had limited himself to the boundaries of a big city ethnic ghetto.

New Mexico is probably one of the last states I would think a Black person would think about moving to, but once again, it has nothing to do with race or place, it all about who you are, what you do and how you carry yourself.
I know there was a town in New Mexico called Blackdom, which was founded by Blacks leaving the South. It didn't work out because of failed harvests/water issues. However, I am aware of such things. New Mexico has always intrigued me because of the history and the landscape of the state. I've wondered what it would be like to be in New Mexico.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

Well we know why.
Tell us.

Because I can't imagine why white people would even move there.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I posted an MPR article about it on this thread. While it acknowledges that there are Blacks moving to the Twin Cities to mooch off of welfare, it also acknowledges the Blacks that are moving there because there are JOBS. Why is that side of the story often ignored?
The think about Blacks moving from Illinois to Minnesota to mooch off welfare is not a joke. I am sure many of them are looking for better opportunities but it can't be denied.

Here in Central Iowa, we get quite a few emigrants from Chicago's Inner City but interestingly enough, many don't adapt to life here, it is very slow paced, there is not a lot to do, the job market here in Ames consists of mostly fast food or factory jobs, the mentality and culture here is totally different so many end up moving back to Chicago.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I agree the majority of people in a crime ridden community are good people, but even 10% bad can overwhelm law enforcement and cause a hell of a lot of damage, especially when the good ones are not actively partnering with law enforcement and have a 'snitches get stitches' mindset.
First, 10% bad is an extremely high number. It's usually like 2% that are causing 90% of the violent criminal activity in an area...if that much. Secondly, if a small percentage of people can ruin a community through criminal activity.....why don't conservatives realize that such is true for racist too? If 10% of the white population is racist, that is enough to reduce the quality of life for the targets of that racism as these racist are clandestine and permeates all facets of life and occupations, such as police, human resource, loan officers, judges, doctors, Realtor, teacher, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.