Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 AM

122 posts, read 96,451 times

Advertisements

Everything happened way too fast. Here's what I saw:

1. Police pull a car over without a legitimate complaint.
2. A 76 yo man gets out of his car - likely because he has no priors and isn't familiar with police protocol.
3. The officer issues a complaint without any formal discussion of the pending charge against the alleged suspect.
4. The provocative lack of a formal discussion leads to misunderstandings.
5. In response, the officer endangers the life of an elderly - and possibly innocent - suspect over a minor traffic issue.

Many 70+ yo people have serious medical issues. That officer was lucky that senior citizen didn't have cardiac arrest or stroke when he slammed him onto the pavement.
Officers need to understand the people they deal with. Elderly people can't always be expected to behave in a totally rational way and the officer shoulda known that.
Also, an unarmed 70 yo+ man is no threat to anyone. So even if the senior citizen refused a formal discussion, the officer shoulda called for backup to assist with the conversation.

Btw, I wouldn't really call that gangsta rap - way too mellow. More like a rap / Jason Safi style... just saying.
But yeah, not cool to max the stereo while dealing with a possible suspect. Way too distracting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 04:33 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson C. View Post
My question is (in their own words) why was the suspect in a "scuffle" with the officer. He shouldn't have been combative in any way if he wanted to maintain his innocence.

Sounds like the truth is more like 'you listen here young man, I'm 76 years old'.......

Guess what gramp's...

Don't care.....stop resisting!
Oh my! I just KNEW someone would go here with this. In the first place, a cop just can't descend on you, out of the blue, and command you to do anything. I would have told this cop to **** off myself. Resisting? Resisting what? Harassment? Last I checked, tthats legal. There is a law , in NV anyway, and thisis TX, but anyway, this law states that a citizen has a RIGHT,go resist an "unlawful arrest",.or any police overstepping of authority i. e. we don't have "stop and frisk".

Way I see it, a cop better bloody well have a REAL and JUSTIFIED , reason to be issuing me "commands". I don't recognize any intristic authority simply because of a badge and gun. Minding your own business and carrying out your day is not a good reason to be detained and subsequently Tazed, beat up, cuffed and stuffed etc, because some cop thinks he's got a right to grab you be cause he doesn't like your t shirt.

In this case, I would have "resisted" as well. Vehemently! Some cop just walks up , demands ID, and starts giving order , out of his posterior, I think I'm subject to question his authority to do so. This belief that we just have to jump like fleas in a skillet when cops give "orders", just because they are cops, is just plain nonsense!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7ski View Post
Everything happened way too fast. Here's what I saw:

1. Police pull a car over without a legitimate complaint.
2. A 76 yo man gets out of his car - likely because he has no priors and isn't familiar with police protocol.
3. The officer issues a complaint without any formal discussion of the pending charge against the alleged suspect.
4. The provocative lack of a formal discussion leads to misunderstandings.
5. In response, the officer endangers the life of an elderly - and possibly innocent - suspect over a minor traffic issue.

Many 70+ yo people have serious medical issues. That officer was lucky that senior citizen didn't have cardiac arrest or stroke when he slammed him onto the pavement.
Officers need to understand the people they deal with. Elderly people can't always be expected to behave in a totally rational way and the officer shoulda known that.
Also, an unarmed 70 yo+ man is no threat to anyone. So even if the senior citizen refused a formal discussion, the officer shoulda called for backup to assist with the conversation.

Btw, I wouldn't really call that gangsta rap - way too mellow. More like a rap / Jason Safi style... just saying.
But yeah, not cool to max the stereo while dealing with a possible suspect. Way too distracting.
Right on all accounts especially the medical related ones. As far as I'm concerned this could easily be elderly abuse. The old man could be anybodies grand parent. Hopefully the the young immature cop, at the very least is sent to training on how to deal with the elderly.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:01 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Holy **** you never see this.

Craig ( Victoria Police Chief Jeffrey "J.J." Craig ) later apologized to Vasquez.

"Public trust is extremely important to us," Craig said, according to the Advocate. "Sometimes that means you have to take a real hard look at some of the actions that occur within the department."

If only all police departments would admit wrong when they are in the wrong there wouldn't be as much mistrust.
Sometimes the cops lie. Sometimes the people lie.

Body cameras would help a lot IMO.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Right on all accounts especially the medical related ones. As far as I'm concerned this could easily be elderly abuse. The old man could be anybodies grand parent. Hopefully the the young immature cop, at the very least is sent to training on how to deal with the elderly.
Elder abuse is typically related to caregivers....kinda like if a cop grabs your kid it might be unlawful but it's not "child abuse".

Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM

122 posts, read 96,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Schools do offer courses in Senior Care so I think the real issue here is the Police Department's qualification standards for recruits. One of my relatives has a degree in Law Enforcement from an accredited University and the curriculum did include courses in psychology.
But hey, a lot of it's just common knowledge. I'm not a police officer - I'll probaly major in Physics - but I've been around my grandparents enough to know that they usually have more defensive attitudes about life. But it's not something I can't deal with so the police should be able to deal with it too.

Btw, this is another example of the police abusing the elderly. It happened 5 years ago and the "suspect" was an 86 yo woman in bed being fed oxygen through a tube and in her own house.
Taser-shocked granny settles suit with El Reno | News OK

I mean, really? She didn't commit any crime and she couldn't even get out of bed but they tazed her.
The message I'm getting is this: If your grandparents have health issues, DON'T call 911. Just call the hospital and tell them to send help.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Here is a better source, the Ops video is unplayable.

What I saw....

Suspect gets out of his vehicle (you never do that unless ordered to)

Suspect becomes belligerent and starts yelling at the Officer while shaking his fist/pointing at him.

Suspect resists arrest or detainment.

Facts hurt like a mofo.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMfdZHNv6tI
You have to be kidding or half blind!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Ok, so about 1:30 or so he is ordering him to put his hands on top of his head before he is tased......

No comply.....

The other jackass is interfering or obstructing an arrest or detainment as well.....not to mention what he calls the young Leo.....
You're just making it up as you go along.....

Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
My question is (in their own words) why was the suspect in a "scuffle" with the officer. He shouldn't have been combative in any way if he wanted to maintain his innocence.

Sounds like the truth is more like 'you listen here young man, I'm 76 years old'.......

Guess what gramp's...

Don't care.....stop resisting!
OK, I understand. You really love people who abuse their power.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What?? Why would he use a stun gun or beat him for an inspection sticker. He had no right. Can't these cops go after the real criminals. Is there a quota for them or something.
Yes, they do have a quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies