Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Seriously? After the initial joy of finding myself with a wanted pregnancy, I absolutely found myself thinking of the actual state of being pregnant, and what that could possibly involve. I can't imagine that most women wouldn't think of this at some point early in their pregnancy, as it's no small thing to carry a pregnancy to term.
Most of the conversations I have had or heard regarding pregnancy have not treated the condition as something unusual. But, everyone is different and experiences life uniquely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Know what's sadder than a person who quotes Old Testament scripture to support his position in a secular discussion? Not understanding that the quote actually refutes his position.
You got me on the secular point, but you're wrong on the interpretation. What you see, I don't, and vice-versa.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you talk to any women because I know my wife is very concerned about all the risks that come with being pregnant. And we both really want to have a child, so that seems to put a big hole in your illusion of women.
All I did was talk to women when I wanted to get pregnant and now I have daughters-in-law that talk incessantly about getting pregnant. Not worrying too much about a condition that is pretty natural. There ARE risks, but there are risks in stepping outside your front door.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
All I did was talk to women when I wanted to get pregnant and now I have daughters-in-law that talk incessantly about getting pregnant. Not worrying too much about a condition that is pretty natural. There ARE risks, but there are risks in stepping outside your front door.
The fact that you have "talked to some women" about pregnancy in no way means they didn't think about the risks of being pregnant at some point. All it means is that you "talked to some women" about pregnancy. Which actually proves nothing except that you "talked to some women" about pregnancy. And nothing more.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The fact that you have "talked to some women" about pregnancy in no way means they didn't think about the risks of being pregnant at some point. All it means is that you "talked to some women" about pregnancy. Which actually proves nothing except that you "talked to some women" about pregnancy. And nothing more.
What it proves is the majority of women don't over think pregnancy as though it is abnormal. But when abortion is introduced into the situation the risks are over emphasized.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What it proves is the majority of women don't over think pregnancy as though it is abnormal. But when abortion is introduced into the situation the risks are over emphasized.
Casual conversation does not hold statistical validity.

You've proven nothing, and you have no idea what a majority of women think.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Casual conversation does not hold statistical validity.

You've proven nothing, and you have no idea what a majority of women think.
Exactly right. Thank you for putting it so succinctly. I'm amused that Tory believes that because she "talked to some women" about pregnancy, she therefore knows what "a majority of women" think.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Read it again NVX....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Exodus 21:22-25

22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
Or in more contemporary words...

If men fight and cause a pregnant female bystander to miscarry, but that's all that happens, then the offenders will be punished to the satisfaction of the woman's husband and the offenders will also pay a fine as determined by the Jewish judges.

So, if one causes a fetus to miscarry, then just make amends with the man married to the now not-pregnant woman and pay a civil fine.

Whatever happened to capital punishment for murder?

Quote:
23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
Ah, there it is!

But there's no capital punishment for the death of a fetus here, while there is capital punishment for murder. Ergo, the quote illustrates that, in the view of the author of the book of Exodus, a fetus isn't a human.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
You haven't actually proved that, maybe you aren't the person women like to talk about the risks of pregnancy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Read it again NVX....

Or in more contemporary words...

If men fight and cause a pregnant female bystander to miscarry, but that's all that happens, then the offenders will be punished to the satisfaction of the woman's husband and the offenders will also pay a fine as determined by the Jewish judges.

So, if one causes a fetus to miscarry, then just make amends with the man married to the now not-pregnant woman and pay a civil fine.

Whatever happened to capital punishment for murder?

Ah, there it is!

But there's no capital punishment for the death of a fetus here, while there is capital punishment for murder. Ergo, the quote illustrates that, in the view of the author of the book of Exodus, a fetus isn't a human.
Why would I need to read it again? What you illustrate is my interpretation, as well. I'm pro-choice.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies