Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,583,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
No one should be hung or given the death penalty... giving the death penalty is just as bad as the murderer himself!
Even I get strong emotions such as hoping that terrorist in Sydney was dying a slow and painful death, however at the end of the day the death penalty is always wrong - it should be up to the universe (or god) to decide ones death...
For those that have slammed me down by this comment, and believe in the death penalty, then I would like to say that yes - I do think that the death penalty is wrong every day, yes I believe that if one ends another life then there must be consequences, and no I am not a liberal (at least economically speaking!)! The suspect in question is only 16, and while an extreme case, we don't know what lead him to murdering the teacher, we also don't know what is in this teens head, and his life may have been a rather crap one! I believe that this teenager should get life in prison if found guilty, but not death!.. It is also much worth mentioning that many innocent people have died from the death penalty to. In fact one of the last people to be executed in the UK was found innocent, and a women murdered her husband because he was abusing her and she got the death penalty for acting in defense, it's just wrong!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCU_uSNgDs

That's my opinion anyway, and I'm glad that the UK doesn't have the death penalty today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We put it down but the story does not end there. We put in prison those who advocate treating people in the same way as animals.
I guess I strongly advocate the death penalty is because I don't think our current prison system is effective. And for cases like this, there is just something wrong with these people and they will never be a useful part of society, put them down. Many of our prisoners seem to live a life better than some of the impoverished people, our retired people , and our veterans. I have a problem with that. Our prison system does not rehabilitate. I have a problem with that. Our prison system does not strike fear into those that are willing to break the law. Now I'm talking prison for people that commit acts such as this person.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess I strongly advocate the death penalty is because I don't think our current prison system is effective.
Now this is an argument I can understand and respect even though I still disagree. I understand the concern of many that the person that killed their daughter would one day be released even though they got "life".

I understand not wanting to relive the pain every few years in a parole hearing. I am all for reforming how we do that.

Quote:
And for cases like this, there is just something wrong with these people and they will never be a useful part of society, put them down.
Maybe he has pulled the wool over everyones eyes but from what I've read Tex Watson has been a model prisoner and done a lot of good in prison. Many have argued he should have been executed.

Quote:
Many of our prisoners seem to live a life better than some of the impoverished people, our retired people , and our veterans. I have a problem with that. Our prison system does not rehabilitate. I have a problem with that. Our prison system does not strike fear into those that are willing to break the law. Now I'm talking prison for people that commit acts such as this person.
I agree here. For those with a chance to leave prison they should have to learn a trade or live a very sparce life in prison.

For repeat offenders it should be a place they never want to return to.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
And no one is actually listening to an opinion by a nobody, that's why they have a death penalty because it was decided by intelligent individuals and NOT emotional pansies.
The only nobody is the fool who thinks the death penalty is in all 50 states. Otherwise why post the nonsense. Rhetorical Even if that didn't go over your little head, you can't defend your absurd comment.

Quote:
There do you feel better now???
I'd feel better if control freaks weren't so quick to murder when no ones life is being threatened.

Quote:
When you violate others and TAKE their lives you LOSE what rights you have.
Make something else up.

Quote:
DUHHH!!! It's called a penalty/punishment/sentence. BTW most Countries including this one holds people responsible for their actions.
BTW 18 of the states have done away with the death penalty. As ignorant as you are on this issue I'll have to point out there have been cases where the accused turned out innocent.

Quote:
Try again, LOL !!!!
Think for once, LOL!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The state defends life, liberty and property by taking life (death penalty), liberty (imprisonment) and property (fines). I can't think of any other ways to stop internal aggressors.
The death penalty doesn't curb crime.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I just never can understand thinking such as yours. What do you do with a rabid animal ? Just curious...
I just never can understand thinking such as yours. Why do you do think animals are on the same level as humans? Just curious...

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Reminds me of that kid who killed his teacher at school and dragged her body to the restroom. He knifed her and then carried on as if nothing had happened. The teacher was apparently quite helpful towards him. Wonder what happened to him?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I just never can understand thinking such as yours. Why do you do think animals are on the same level as humans? Just curious...
When a human does this it actually puts them less than an animal. Look at that 19 year old girl that was burned to death, the killer actually poured lighter fluid down her throat, then lit her on fire.... does this even remotely seem human to you ?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Good thing this happened in pa. He is 16 so in nj they would have refused to release his name and would sentence him to 6 months of therapy and ice cream.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Obvious he was some fine young man at all as so many aren't that are said to be that after death or killing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies