Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,105 times

Advertisements

To me it is fundamental.....Welfare as we know it should not exist.....Not for decades upon decades...Not generation to generation...
I am really trying to understand your side since I don't see any logical reasoning for it...
Should people get help when they genuinely need it...Of course!!!

Should people be able to abuse the system because of their bad upbringing as an excuse???
Should welfare recipients be able to sell food stamps?
Should they be able to buy anything they want with it?
Should they not be expected to earn their keep by doing some kind of work or service for the community?
Should welfare recipients be able to bring child after child into this world without any means to support them & without a mom and dad?
Why don't you care if they learn and speak English?

I am sincerely wondering how welfare entitlements grew to epidemic proportions....without any stop gaps enacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
It shouldn't exist, but people should get help when they need it?

You're the one that should be doing the explaining.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:47 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I'm not a liberal or dem... but hey it's a free country, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Because I believe in freedom of speech and liberty in general.

As for welfare, it's simply another program inefficiently ran by the government and commonly abused by the recipients. No surprise there. It has become a lifestyle/culture for many and the government isn't going to do anything to rock the boat or lose votes. Of course, it should not exist in it's present form. But, of course, that doesn't matter. It isn't going to change unless the government completely collapses.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
no one likes a welfare leech, however I would rather pay for a few leeches than to turn my back on people who truly need help. one thing that would help is more welfare workers and or a way to keep the abuses at bay.

as to your list of questions some are vague and some judgmental and assumptive that all welfare recipients are abusing the system.

bad upbringing? who gets to judge that?

selling food stamps? how can you stop that? what if a child needs medication and there is no money and all someone has is their food stamps. if I were in that position I would sell the stamps.

you can't buy what ever you want now with food stamps.

should people work for benefits? some could. do they have a skill set? should training be made available? how do single moms pay for a babysitter? would you reqire a disabled person to work as well? another government program? sounds like more money used to make it happen.

welfare people having children, you want to make BC or sterilization required to get welfare?

speaking english has nothing to do with a person who needs help.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Should people be able to abuse the system because of their bad upbringing as an excuse???
A bit of a generalization. I'm not good with generalizations.

Quote:
They aren't.

Quote:
They aren't.

Quote:
Should they not be expected to earn their keep by doing some kind of work or service for the community?
In some cases they are. What sort of work do you propose we make the mentally deficient do? Someone born with down's syndrome?

Quote:
Should welfare recipients be able to bring child after child into this world without any means to support them & without a mom and dad?
Are you advocating for forced sterilization or what?

Quote:
They should.

Quote:
I am sincerely wondering how welfare entitlements grew to epidemic proportions....without any stop gaps enacted.
Now that is a more direct question as opposed to the earlier generalities. We should expect something in return from those able to give something in return. Outside of those who obviously can not provide for themselves any welfare should be temporary.

We shouldn't make it more advantageous to not get a job than to find one.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM

There is always some kind of work people can do. I don't know about the rest of the country but in the northeast there are some beautifully built stone walls around houses that were built by the poor...Beautifying America can be done even by the least intelligent....How smart do you have to bee to pick up trash on our nations highways? Oh I forgot, that would be demeaning work....
I went to a government cafeteria at the DOT an there was a BLIND man at the cash register....He could count coins by feel and depended on people in line to verify the bill denominations he got....I really admired that man who deserved more than most to be able to be home and collect welfare yet he was too proud to demean himself. I see many able bodied people sitting on their front stoop watching traffic in the city instead of painting the peeling door right behind them....

Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM

This is going to rattle some cages but NO...I do not think that people on welfare should continue to have children they cannot afford. Not sterilizing them but maybe a birth control shot that is mandatory to continue collecting their check. When they get off welfare they can have children on their paycheck instead of ours...

Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
To me it is fundamental.....Welfare as we know it should not exist.....Not for decades upon decades...Not generation to generation...
I am really trying to understand your side since I don't see any logical reasoning for it...
What does this have to do with Liberals and Democrats ????

Quote:
I have never seen a single person disagree with saying people shouldnt abuse the system, with that question you are either trolling, or just being plain dishonest to yourself and trying to demonize liberals ?

Quote:
Thats a legitimate question. The Flee market down the road from me is cheaper than any grocery store

I have seen people sell their food stamps and then immediately turn around and buy Tomatoes, onions, greens, lettuce, carrots and so forth.

so yes, if they are selling it because the food market they are at only deals in cash.

( Food stamps mostly come on a pre loaded card now, so that has pretty much stopped..at least here)
Quote:
no, food stamps should be for food .... and they are. I think you are talking TANF benefits which is usually included when people say food stamps and does have monetary components.

the colloquial term of "food stamps" is very broad reaching

Quote:
If you live in a home provided to you by the government then you are required to do community service, and there is an actual list of the approved sites and times you can do that service at.

Quote:
SHould people who cant afford children bring them into the world, absolutely not.

Again, have you ever seen someone say different ???????

Quote:
I would rather we all spoke a common language, but what does that have to do with any of this ? poor is poor no matter what language it is spoken in .

Quote:
I dont know. In the last 30 years, Democrats have only controlled both Houses at the same time for 10 of them.

Cant really blame Democrats or liberals.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Democrats are always voting for social programs for the poor....I would think year after year of more and more entitlements even you would be sick of footing the bill....We lived in Pa and retired to MI....When I looked at the voting preferences of both states the democratic votes were all centered in the counties around and in Pittsburg, Philia, and Detroit....and it swung the state to blue when almost all of the other counties in the state were red....Poor people tend to live in the cities, many are on welfare so of course they will vote for the candidate that will give them more perks....That is where I get that idea....Here's more fodder to get mad at me....I don't believe people on welfare should be allowed to vote!
They aren't contributing so they shouldn't have a say...They are part of the problem not part of the solution.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:

Not a liberal or democrat but I'll take this opportunity to ramble for a bit ...

Welfare is needed. For certain. There will always be a certain segment of our population that needs help - some from cradle to grave. With that being said, that segment is TREMENDOUSLY smaller than what is on the dole right now.

As for Food Stamps/SNAP ... why isn't Michele Obama getting on board here? I think if you're relying on government support you relinquish your right to control. Cut out all soda, chips, processed foodstuffs, etc. All that crap contributes to obesity & diseases which increases medical costs.

Yes, I think volunteer work if you are on the government dole for a certain segment of time would be good. The how/when/where is a bigger question. Transportation? Child care? Elder care?

English. If you live in this country you should make it a priority to learn English. Required? No. Encouraged? Definitely. It does take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you don't know the predominant language of a country you will have a harder time being employed and sustaining an income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies