Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 AM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Would that be the same owners who have no issue with landlocked citizens footing most of the FEMA cost for flooding in their back yard?
Oh, because FEMA doesn't subsidize tornado victims, which occurs FAR more frequently? Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Based on what? Are they not on the same survey when private property is sold?
Common law going back centuries in history. Just look into self-defense laws and compare what is legal in a home to what is legal on open land. I can't legally shoot a trespasser or attacker in the woods or a field if I can escape safely. I have no duty t retreat in my home. That's based on old legal tradition.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
What's more difficult is establishing a right of use. How is the public's right to use someone else's privately owned property legally established?
History. In New England, the early settlers, few of whom were particularly wealthy, agreed to the idea that land should be accessible in response to Europe where it was not and the average person could not hunt, trap, or such because the wealthy owned all or most of the land. It continued, as both tradition and codified into law, as the frontier vanished. The southern states followed a different pattern, being lead by wealthier people, often European aristocrats, who continued the European pattern of no free access.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Common law going back centuries in history. Just look into self-defense laws and compare what is legal in a home to what is legal on open land. I can't legally shoot a trespasser or attacker in the woods or a field if I can escape safely. I have no duty t retreat in my home. That's based on old legal tradition.
Who says you have to shoot them? You yourself said your state constitution gives anyone the right to trespass on unposted private property if they so choose. Cite exactly where in your state's constitution that right excludes buildings located on such private property.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
History. In New England, the early settlers, few of whom were particularly wealthy, agreed to the idea that land should be accessible in response to Europe where it was not and the average person could not hunt, trap, or such because the wealthy owned all or most of the land.
Sorry, no. Time and time again, private property owners' rights are upheld in courts of law. That's why Florida police arrest trespassers on privately owned dry sand beach areas, and California's Coastal Commission tried unsuccessfully for 6 years to try to get their blue state's court system to rule that oceanfront property owners had to grant a public easement on their property. Blue state Maine's law is even more restrictive.
Quote:
"Maine is one of only a few states in which coastal property owners can own land out to the mean low tide line. These ownership interests are subject to a centuries-old public easement allowing the public to use the intertidal zone [the wet sand beach, which is seaward of the mean high water line mark] for the limited purposes of "fishing, fowling and navigation." At present, this does not legally include public use for recreational purposes."
Accessing the Maine Coast :: Common Law & Statutes

Old 12-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Who says you have to shoot them? You yourself said your state constitution gives anyone the right to trespass on unposted private property if they so choose. Cite exactly where in your state's constitution that right excludes buildings located on such private property.
§ 67. Hunting; fowling and fishing
The inhabitants of this State shall have liberty in seasonable times, to hunt and fowl on the lands they hold, and on other lands not inclosed, and in like manner to fish in all boatable and other waters (not private property) under proper regulations, to be made and provided by the General Assembly.

Bold added by me. This was the constitutional protection of the right to access un-posted land.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry, no. Time and time again, private property owners' rights are upheld in courts of law. That's why Florida police arrest trespassers on privately owned dry sand beach areas, and California's Coastal Commission tried unsuccessfully for 6 years to try to get their blue state's court system to rule that oceanfront property owners had to grant a public easement on their property. Blue state Maine's law is even more restrictive.
Accessing the Maine Coast :: Common Law & Statutes
Maine has the same law as Vermont allowing access to un-posted land. What Maine's law on beach access means is even on land that is posted, the landowner can't stop anyone from utilizing the intertidal zone for fishing, hunting or navigational uses. I made use of this law a few times in Maine to fish during low tide.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
§ 67. Hunting; fowling and fishing
The inhabitants of this State shall have liberty in seasonable times, to hunt and fowl on the lands they hold, and on other lands not inclosed, and in like manner to fish in all boatable and other waters (not private property) under proper regulations, to be made and provided by the General Assembly.

Bold added by me. This was the constitutional protection of the right to access un-posted land.
Hunting, fowling, and fishing. I don't see anything about recreational beach use on privately owned land, such as sunbathing, picnicking, beach walking, swimming, surfing, etc. Public access is constitutionally limited to hunting, fowling, or fishing.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Maine has the same law as Vermont allowing access to un-posted land. What Maine's law on beach access means is even on land that is posted, the landowner can't stop anyone from utilizing the intertidal zone for fishing, hunting or navigational uses. I made use of this law a few times in Maine to fish during low tide.
Indeed. Any other public recreational beach use of privately owned land including privately owned beach, is prohibited.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hunting, fowling, and fishing. I don't see anything about recreational beach use on privately owned land, such as sunbathing, picnicking, beach walking, swimming, surfing, etc. Public access is constitutionally limited to hunting, fowling, or fishing.
Case law and statutory law says otherwise. Hunting and fishing were deemed the most important uses and given constitutional protection. You're trying to read southern style property laws into a New England state, but you won't find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies