Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The homicide rate is a better indicator of the overall violent crime rate than the reported violent crime rates of the early 60s when things like simple assault were not compiled and reported to the FBI. You're literally taking bad and unreliable stats and trying to make a racist case out of them. It wasn't until the late 60s that all police departments were on board with reporting all crimes in universally-recognized categories to the FBI and the stats could then be seen as reliable. You're basically cherry picking here.
Sure stats can be manipulated. Sort of how "Hispanics" are in many cases put in the "White" category when it comes to crime or other dubious statistics. (Think George Zimmerman or Jodi Arias.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Sure stats can be manipulated. Sort of how "Hispanics" are in many cases put in the "White" category when it comes to crime or other dubious statistics. (Think George Zimmerman or Jody Arias.)
The stats aren't manipulated, they're just unreliable because huge police departments weren't at that time on board with reporting crime stats to the FBI and although the FBI offered guidelines for reporting crime stats, some departments reported some stats but not others and some did not recognize the guidelines (example: some didn't differentiate between different categories of assault). The reason why the homicide numbers are fairly reliable, is that it's a state crime in all states and in 1960, that number was being reported to the FBI by all the states. But the other numbers are essentially useless for comparison until the late 60s when after being cajoled by the US government (although the FBI today still calls the program 'voluntary' most states mandate that all crime stats be reported to the FBI the way the FBI wants them, back in 1960 that was not the case). Big police departments not reporting their data in the early 60s simply skew the statistics too much to make them of any use.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:40 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
I would live today, I was born in the late 1980's, so I never existed during those years to begin with and have no nostalgia or connection.

Also socially for MOST part things are better now for minorities of all kinds, and there are more opportunities today that 50-70 years ago.

Technology of course, but medical breakthroughs also. The world and people are so much connected, Instagram, Facebook, Tinder, Twitter, heck the options are endless.

Not saying things are all good today and those years were bad, but living today far out beats that era. Mainstream music is far more diverse, than the music of that time. Sure there were good music, although in my opinion the 50's music for my taste left more to be desired.

I can go on and on with different examples of how 2015 is better to live during that 1946-1964.

So no I would never go back.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:41 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Plus going back in time is not an option, and we have no choice but to go into the future, tomorrow is another New Year.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:19 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Nonsense, KungFuMaster. But guys do have to compete now, instead of simply winning via gender. Oh, the humanity
I understand the point about competition, but at some point, won't you just get tired? For instance, if you make money by running, imagine that you start with 100 runners. Your job is to be in the top 90%, but also you are instructed to run faster and faster. This can work great for a while as inefficient runners are eliminated but at some point, don't you get tired?

What's happening more often that not, is that if you are in your 50's, the prospect of you remaining employed at your job (unless it's a government job, and even those are becoming insecure) is decreasing with every year. New employees are cheaper and I would imagine that on many (if not most jobs) you can become fully proficient in 5-10 years, after which time you need to think about adding value of yourself to your employer.

And this cycle continues. Make a bad move (i.e get advanced to a management position in a department where business suddenly dips, your chances of being laid off, along with many other staff in your department are increased).

So, wouldn't a lower paced environment be better?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 PM

89 posts, read 209,949 times
I would prefer living in pre-WWII time. Western civilization has gone to crap thanks to secular humanist liberalism.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:58 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
I would prefer living in pre-WWII time. Western civilization has gone to crap thanks to secular humanist liberalism.
That will never happen. We cannot go back in time. I prefer this time. I have far more freedoms now than I would have had in pre-WWII days.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No. I'm black. The past is an anathema to me. I look forward, not backwards. History isn't my friend, and as paraphrased by a great modern day (white) comedian, black folks don't have the luxury of playing with time machines that go backwards.

Maybe you wanna go back because you're a failure in contemporary times. Got news for you...you'd probably fare no better in the past either.
As a violin plays in the background.......

Old 12-31-2014, 05:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As a violin plays in the background.......
Can you refute anything desertdetroiter said? Is he lying to you?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:32 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
It is useless to pine for the past. Time moves forward and the wise adapt accordingly and they fight to make the future what they want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies