Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What do you think his intention was for saying this on Christmas morning?
To be funny.

You are really taking "tweets" way too seriously. And like I said above, you should read more of his work other than what is quoted online, especially stuff he has written about his life. He is VERY sarcastic and full of wit. I have found being that I am very sarcastic that many people don't like it when you use wit and sarcasm to induce humor (I have my opinions on that but will keep it to myself in order not to offend all the thin skinners).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Might I remind everyone that tyson tweeted his remarks to *people who had signed up to receive them* - not the world in general. I don't know which evangelical preachers tweet, and I don't care. And when some christian relative of mine passes along a tweet or email which I find offensive (and they do, believe me), I let it die, rather than propagate it.

I'd be willing to bet every last dime I have that far more preachers tweeted some religious message on christmas day, that reached far more followers than tyson's did. So why is his tweet so threatening to you?
Maybe the people receiving tweets from Neil were on the list because they respect him as a scientist, and thought he would tweet about science. Or do you think they signed on thinking that Neil would tweet a few zingers that ridicule religion?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe the people receiving tweets from Neil were on the list because they respect him as a scientist, and thought he would tweet about science. Or do you think they signed on thinking that Neil would tweet a few zingers that ridicule religion?
What part of the facts he posted were to be considered ridicule? The fact that Newtons birthday was Dec 25th, or the fact that for billions of people Christmas day was just another Thursday?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe to make people think "hey maybe I'm not the ONLY person on this planet" OR "maybe MY personal beliefs are not the only ones out there"?

What was so offensive about stating a fact?
State facts about Black imprisonment rates or gay HIV rates in debates and left-wingers lose their minds about how the poster, who is only posting facts, is a hate-filled bigot rather than just someone using real data to back up their position. I think a little slack here is deserved.

Tyson specifically made the Tweet to disrespect Christians on one of their most holy days. That makes him a jerk.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Tyson is a political hack used as a pawn for the left.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Tyson is a political hack used as a pawn for the left.
But, he's soooooo smart [whispers]and black too![/whispers].

Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
State facts about Black imprisonment rates or gay HIV rates in debates and left-wingers lose their minds about how the poster, who is only posting facts, is a hate-filled bigot rather than just someone using real data to back up their position. I think a little slack here is deserved.

Tyson specifically made the Tweet to disrespect Christians on one of their most holy days. That makes him a jerk.
Whatever, go on being offended by facts. Have fun with that.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Whatever, go on being offended by facts. Have fun with that.
The point is, Tyson did what he did specifically to be disrespectful and a jerk, and people are applauding him for it rather than condemning his insensitivity.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I LOVE Neil de Grasse Tyson!!

I loved his tweets too! But I have read a lot of books he has written including one that was autobiographical and I know that he is super funny in a witty/sarcastic way.

I agree with one of the first posters on this thread, some Christian's skin are too thin. Neil was just cracking jokes and not sitting around being "angry." LOL, I guess anyone who jokes about Christians are angry to Christians.

You all should read more of his work. You would see that these tweeted jokes are pretty much a part of his overall character. Not only is he brilliant and engaging, but he is VERY witty and sarcastic. Being that I am also witty and sarcastic, I just love him! Cause I love funny, smart men.
You must have missed Tyson's performance on Cosmos. He was not kidding. He was not accurate with his history. And he went out of his way to attack Christians and Christianity in a show that did not need to have anything to do with Christianity, certainly not with the degree of vitriolic antagonism that he quite happily vented out during this show.

Unfortunately for Tyson, he has now established himself as a controversial and divisive figure that is an anti-Christian ideologue. No doubt that will play well in decidedly pro-leftist venues like the Huffington Post, CNN, MSNBC or the New York Times. But most of the educational channels are not looking for that kind of controversy and negative publicity. Nor should they be. It is just not helpful or necessary.

In fact, Cosmos turned out to be a huge ratings disappointment, to such an extent that an originally planned second season was scratched after it was clear that this was not the hit that the producers hoped it would be. And that was because of the controversial anti-Christian theme, which rubbed many potential viewers the wrong way. As a result, these potential viewers did not watch it, and the show underperformed substantially.

This is apparently what you get with Neil deGrasse Tyson as the face of your show. And who is going to want to bring that on themselves, going forward, except maybe a brazenly partisan outfit like CNN or MSNBC.

Tyson's performance on the show Cosmos has established him as a shrill, hard-left partisan hack who also happens to be a scientist. I never thought about him that way until Cosmos. Before that, he was just one of the many interesting voices on the educational science shows. But not anymore.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The point is, Tyson did what he did specifically to be disrespectful and a jerk, and people are applauding him for it rather than condemning his insensitivity.
Stating facts is not insensitive, it is stating facts. If your beliefs are threatened by facts, then you need stronger beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies