Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
when does this legal term need to be used? on what paperwork does it get put on? just where does one need the term applied?
Very good question! It's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
conservative ladies are also single moms?
What do you think the percentage of conservative women as opposed to liberals is? I don't know the answer. I'm just speculating. But I suspect that because of belief systems, those who call themselves "liberal" are probably vastly more likely to have "illegitimate" children.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:25 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
Women are supposed to be the rational ones.....They have the power to provide a "nest" for any future children. You are correct it is a shame a woman does things that stigmatizes her child but society didn't cause the problem. She did...

Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No more outdated than the term retarded, also a valid and accurate term which has fallen into disfavor due to liberal concerns over feelings.

And I'm illegitimate so I speak with more authority than you do here.
Ughh, really?? I don't think it has anything to do with being liberal or not. I know some very respectable conservative people who wouldn't refer to someone as retarded or illegitimate, just because it seems disrespectful to do so. Language can still convey a message and not be disrespectful, or better yet, left unsaid if it's not necessary to bring up.

Using the term "developmentally disabled" or saying someone is born to unwed parents (or something similar) rather than calling them "illegitimate" or a bastard isn't always about being politically correct or trying to sugar coat something. It can just be to be more respectful to the person being referred to.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:27 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Women are supposed to be the rational ones.....They have the power to provide a "nest" for any future children. You are correct it is a shame a woman does things that stigmatizes her child but society didn't cause the problem. She did...
are you pro choice? should she of had an abortion when the father skipped town? or do you think she is just bad because she had sex in the first place? let me guess you are a man.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:29 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This thread thread leaves me stunned. I live just about as Father Knows Best as is possible in this world, and I'd like to castrate any man who walks away from his progeny. When people flippantly dismiss pregnancy as solely the responsibility of the woman, they are supporting irresponsible male sexuality. Is this really the way we want to raise our sons? I don't think so. It's certainly not the way I'm raising my sons.
A guy wouldn't get away with it if a woman didn't let him.....
It never happened on Father knows best!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Ughh, really?? I don't think it has anything to do with being liberal or not. I know some very respectable conservative people who wouldn't refer to someone as retarded or illegitimate, just because it seems disrespectful to do so. Language can still convey a message and not be disrespectful, or better yet, left unsaid if it's not necessary to bring up.

Using the term "developmentally disabled" or born to unwed parents (or something similar) isn't always about being politically correct or trying to sugar coat something. It can just be to be respectful to the person being referred to.
Yes, I do agree with this. That said, illegitimacy isn't something we should be trying to destigmatize either. It's something which is bad, which we should continue to agree is bad, but at the same time you shouldn't refer to an individual that way in the same way that you don't call someone fat or retarded or whatever unless of course you are deliberately trying to insult.

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
still waiting for someone to tell us what legal document the term "illegitimate" is required to be on?

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
Quote:
Its just calling a spade a spade....
I bet you don't like when there are tryouts for sports in grade school since its only fair that everyone gets to play....
How are the two even similar. If a kid doesn't make it in a tryout, it's becasue the kid didn't preform well. If a kid is deemed 'illegitimate' it's because two entirely different people did something without his/her knowledge or consent. Label the unmarried parents if it's so important, though I can think of no actual reason to have a word for it, but don't place blame on the kid, who had nothing to do with his conception or birth.

Quote:
Then maybe the mother should think twice before society puts a label on her behavior....

What if, and this is just a crazy idea, society is the problem? I mean, not that it's ever been wrong before, just ask any black person about America in the 60s. But what if this time, society is the one with a problem?

Also, as I already said, the mother isn't the one getting labeled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think God does love all. But that isn't the point, is it.
I'm curious what the criteria is for God to be relevant in political discussion. It's almost as if people only play the God card when it's helpful, but the second it contradicts your goal, God is a separate entity.

But just for fun, would God blame, and consequently label, the child for the actions of his/her parents, or is God thoughtful?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Pretty soon no word will be safe.

Illegitimate child does not mean evil, sinful, horrible, unwanted, never-should-have-been-born love child of doooom!

It's a legal term used to mean, simply, that the parents weren't legally bound in matrimony.

That's ALL it means.

I wish people would stop assigning emotion (usually negative) to perfectly fine, literal words.
Today, this is true. In the past, it was used to describe people who could legally not inherit, who could legally not practice certain professions, and whom no "decent" person would marry, because their children's pedigree would be in question. The child so described was also thought to be morally tainted from birth, which is why the word "bastard" was such an insult. Exceptions were made - as usual - for the illegitimate children of nobility and royalty, but others were consigned to the social dungheap.

We no longer make those distinctions in legal status between the children of married and unmarried couples. So the term has clearly outlived its usefulness. Because, as others here have noted, civilized people no longer think that children should be ostracized because of their parent's marital status. Further, most people no longer think that a couple's legal status is anyone else's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies