Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:06 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,087,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Correct, if private sales were regulated then we would know the last legal owner and it could be traced, that would be a deterrent to most people but certainly not all. Georgia has only 2 laws on the books outside of federal regulations one of which is the prohibition of strawman purchases, lacking any regulation of private transfers I would expect that the conviction rate on that law amounts to zero.

This is why many illegal guns originate in Georgia, no waiting period, multiple purchases allowed in a short period of time and no tracking.
There are 30 states with no waiting periond. What states have limits on how often you can make purchases? Tracking would require gun registration, which is illegal. Georgia is no different than most any other state.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 01-06-2015 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,087,380 times
When it comes to purchasing firearms from gun shops or pawn shops, all purchases are subject to federal law. I don't see where state laws mean anything.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,262 times
Quote:
Correct, if private sales were regulated then we would know the last legal owner and it could be traced, that would be a deterrent to most people but certainly not all. Georgia has only 2 laws on the books outside of federal regulations one of which is the prohibition of strawman purchases, lacking any regulation of private transfers I would expect that the conviction rate on that law amounts to zero.

This is why many illegal guns originate in Georgia, no waiting period, multiple purchases allowed in a short period of time and no tracking.
Georgia is the same as most states. I could buy 5 guns during my lunch hour and still have time to eat a sandwich and not be late.

A quick check shows that neither Georgia nor New York have waiting periods. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

A similar search shows that only 4 states and NYC prohibit multiple gun purchases. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Finally, what is this "tracking" you speak of? Background checks for private sales? That won't work without registration. Let's say that the state of MS implemented background checks for private sales this past Jan 1. Today, I can sell a gun to someone without a check. If he is questioned tomorrow all he has to do is tell him that he has always owned that gun. Any gun sold from an FFL after Jan 1 will have a complete history. Any gun in private hands before Jan 1 will have no history and most will stay that way.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 PM

57,361 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
One gun? And you use one gun to make that educated opinion? Are you out of grade school?
How old are you, who said this is all about 1 gun try reading the article so you can offer an intelligent response.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,831,436 times
Quote:
Boogeyman, ruse LOL

The fact is that 90% of guns used in a crime in NYC come from out of state, try to debate that fact, illegal guns are trafficked from states with weak guns laws are you really trying to make a case that this is incorrect.
The doj already did. Hence the doj memo linked.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:14 PM

57,361 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Georgia is the same as most states. I could buy 5 guns during my lunch hour and still have time to eat a sandwich and not be late.

A quick check shows that neither Georgia nor New York have waiting periods. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

A similar search shows that only 4 states and NYC prohibit multiple gun purchases. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Finally, what is this "tracking" you speak of? Background checks for private sales? That won't work without registration. Let's say that the state of MS implemented background checks for private sales this past Jan 1. Today, I can sell a gun to someone without a check. If he is questioned tomorrow all he has to do is tell him that he has always owned that gun. Any gun sold from an FFL after Jan 1 will have a complete history. Any gun in private hands before Jan 1 will have no history and most will stay that way.
Yes there are plenty of states that have loose gun laws not only Georgia but they received a failing grade from the website you referenced, SC, PA, VA and others are primary sources of illegal guns.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1414139

Mostly has to do with weak gun laws and location.

Several states do keep track of guns but that is prohibited on the federal level, I assume that is what you are referring to as registration.

Just having FFL's perform background checks doesn't address the issue, if private sales require no checks then what's the point, anyone with a criminal history or a mental problem can get a gun after it leaves the dealer. Criminals understand this is a good way to get a gun.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,536,606 times
Even if you implemented checks on private sales right now, you still haven't said how you would handle the millions of unregistered guns already existing out there.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Even if you implemented checks on private sales right now, you still haven't said how you would handle the millions of unregistered guns already existing out there.
If I owned a gun (I don't) and wanted to sell it, I would sell it to a friend and never bother with a check.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,831,436 times
Quote:
Yes there are plenty of states that have loose gun laws not only Georgia but they received a failing grade from the website you referenced, SC, PA, VA and others are primary sources of illegal guns.
Out-of-state guns used in most NY gun crimes - NY Daily News

Mostly has to do with weak gun laws and location.

Several states do keep track of guns but that is prohibited on the federal level, I assume that is what you are referring to as registration.

Just having FFL's perform background checks doesn't address the issue, if private sales require no checks then what's the point, anyone with a criminal history or a mental problem can get a gun after it leaves the dealer. Criminals understand this is a good way to get a gun.
Most crime guns come from straw purchases, which is already illegal. UBC would not make any real difference, as is noted in the states that have them already. Not very many criminals go on hundred mile journeys to other states to purchase guns.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Most crime guns come from straw purchases, which is already illegal. UBC would not make any real difference, as is noted in the states that have them already. Not very many criminals go on hundred mile journeys to other states to purchase guns.
And the DOJ has stated publicly that they don't have the time to prosecute straw purchasers or people who fail a NICS background check.

There was a gang in Chicago that used relatives with clean records in Cleveland, MS to buy their guns. When a local pawn shop notified the ATF that the same man made weekly stops in his store, he was killed over for it. The buyer was convicted of trafficking guns and the buyers in Chicago were also arrested. They figured out who dropped a dime on them and the store owner was killed behind the counter. The surveillance system was also stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies