Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
SS is welfare? Huh, who knew. I thought it was insurance. I guess if it's welfare, I can stop contributing?
SSI is welfare. I know it gets confusing.

"Supplemental Security Income

pays benefits based on financial need.

This program is financed through general revenues from taxes, meaning benefits are not based on your prior work history.

In most states, beneficiaries will automatically be eligible for Medicaid.
SSI disability benefits are payable to:
individuals age 65 or older
adults who are disabled or blind
children who are disabled or blind
Eligibility requirements:
have limited income and resources meet the living arrangement requirements
a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of aliens.
The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate, which may be supplemented by the state."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You are wrong on this. It is SS that is easier to acquire. SS is welfare, SSDI is Social Security Disability Income in which the worker pays for and can lose if they stop working for X amount of years. It is hard to qualify for SSDI unless you have a verifiable terminal condition, was a recent worker. I've seen first hand how difficult it is for a working disable, very ill person to qualify for SSDI. Not easy in the slightest and for most can take years to acquire.
"SS is welfare" Please explain how you come up with great bit of "fact".

Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
But it is a hallmark of right-wing perspective to be aggressively callous toward those most vulnerable in society, so the rhetoric is to be expected.
But it is the hallmark of the left-wing to make false claims.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congress was warned that the SSDI fund was skyrocketing in costs and going to go bankrupt.

And what did they do ? Why ignore the reports and do nothing.
Everything is going bankrupt. It seems anything that people pay into goes broke. Pensions, Social Security, 401K, state and federal, except for Wall Street and the military.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Quote:
Generally a congressman can not alter the verdict. However, having a Congressman eyeball the process on your mother's behalf is a plus. Your congressman would not jeopardize their reputation by advocating a fraudulent SSDI applicant. I too was forced to contact my congressman and his staff.
The problem was there was no verdict. They dragged their heels for years until Owens made a call on mom's behalf. This was after she has provided a tonne of documentation stating her RA was so severe that she was unable to work.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
These people are Republicans. What did you expect them to do? Tax the rich or regulate financiers?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Anyone can apply for SSDI, anyone. Most are denied, and that means most 90%+. Just because the people applied does not mean millions where added to SSDI rolls. Many of those that were added were denied benefits for years, and should not have been denied. One other thing to realize is boomers are getting older and many are falling apart as humans unfortunately do.
"Most are denied, and that means most 90%+."

This is the un-written rule.

The applications are denied because the people making the decisions do NOT' want to be the ones making the decision so they deny the applications which then go to the Office of Hearings and Appeals where a OHA judge will be the decider.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's about SSDI, not SS.

And the SSDI program is RAMPANT with fraud with so many people seeking this to tide them over .
Yes those on SSDI should get 20% cuts. Let them go look for a job instead.

I got a better idea. Qualifying for SSDI should be a one-way decision. Once you qualify, you are prevented from taking another job for the rest of your life. That will keep people from gaming the system to get more money when their unemployment runs out.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These people are Republicans. What did you expect them to do? Tax the rich or regulate financiers?
Yet no matter how much the guv taxes and regulates the same old problems occur.

Whats the definition of insanity again?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
So based on your definition of SS (and SSDI), you are on welfare.
I will be 67 soon and have been working and paying into social security over 50 years now. While i could collect now i am opting not to in order to get more later.

Three years ago i added up the total amount paid into ss on my behalf and dotaled what i would have if i had only deposited the money in a simple passbook account paying the average interest rate over the years. If i had done that today i would have over $710,000 in my account.

When i do start to collect is that welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies