Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shaman View Post
Ah, yes...the lies....aka.....

2014: The Year In Review — NORML

Whatta shame you...and, actual History....are polar-opposites....
What the BBC link claims is flat out wrong. I am guessing their source is the CATO study, which has been proven false. They cooked the statistics.

Drug use in Portugal is up, not down.

Falsifying facts seems to be a trend within the pro-drug movement.

The PortugueseExperiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-12-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,302,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Increasing crime rates concerns fellow Americans. I am hoping people in places like Florida see this failed experiment in CO, so they can vote accordingly in 2016.
More flawed logic.

It is prohibition that causes crime, not drugs.

If you outlawed Tylenol, people with chronic headaches would still seek it out and buy it illegally if they could. That would make them criminals and would increase the crime rate, while simultaneously physiologically effecting these people and convincing at least some of them that they were criminals and encouraging them to commit other crimes.

The government does not have the legal power to tell citizens what medicines they may or may not use. If you can find where that power was given any government in any constitution I would be happy to look at it.

People have sovereign rights over their own bodies and to make decisions about what kinds of medicines they feel they need to deal with this cesspool we call life.

So what you have is the government (who by the way sponsors the illegal drug trade) usurping power it does not have to tell people what drugs of medicines they may or may not use and creating a criminal class of people who have done nothing wrong except to exercise their inalienable rights as free humans.

The result of this is we have a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world, and indeed have more prisons than colleges.

It is stupid and it is immoral and so is anyone who supports the current system.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,012,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
More flawed logic.

It is prohibition that causes crime, not drugs.

If you outlawed Tylenol, people with chronic headaches would still seek it out and buy it illegally if they could. That would make them criminals and would increase the crime rate, while simultaneously physiologically effecting these people and convincing at least some of them that they were criminals and encouraging them to commit other crimes.

The government does not have the legal power to tell citizens what medicines they may or may not use. If you can find where that power was given any government in any constitution I would be happy to look at it.

People have sovereign rights over their own bodies and to make decisions about what kinds of medicines they feel they need to deal with this cesspool we call life.

So what you have is the government (who by the way sponsors the illegal drug trade) usurping power it does not have to tell people what drugs of medicines they may or may not use and creating a criminal class of people who have done nothing wrong except to exercise their inalienable rights as free humans.

The result of this is we have a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world, and indeed have more prisons than colleges.

It is stupid and it is immoral and so is anyone who supports the current system.

Good post!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:46 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,532,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
T

On the rare occasion when I get drunk, I'm pretty much useless for the following 24 hours. It's a poison as far as the human body is concerned, it's awful. Marijuana on the other hand, I can smoke all day, go to sleep, wake up the next day and be productive, focused, totally fine. I can smoke it consistently for months and then drop it with almost no notable withdrawal symptoms (my appetite decreases for a little bit, dreams get super vivid and weird, etc). It's nowhere near as toxic to humans, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's not toxic at all.

tofur, you seem to have a lot to learn.

THC and other compounds in marijuana can also affect the way your body works
No matter how it gets into your system, it affects almost every organ in your body, and your nervous system and immune system, too
moking pot can increase your heart rate by as much as two times for up to 3 hours. That’s why some people have a heart attack right after they use marijuana. It can increase bleeding, lower blood pressure, and affect your blood sugar, too.

We don’t yet know if marijuana is linked to higher odds of getting lung cancer. But the process does irritate your lungs -- which is why regular pot smokers are more likely to have an ongoing cough and to have lung-related health problems like chest colds and lung infections.

Other physical effects of marijuana include:

* Dizziness
* Shallow breathing
* Red eyes and dilated pupils
* Dry mouth
* Increased appetite
* Slowed reaction time (If you drive after using marijuana, your risk of being in a car accident more than doubles.)

* A distorted sense of time
* Random thinking
* Paranoia
* Anxiety
* Depression
* Short-term forgetfulness

isks of Marijuana Use

Though you may have heard otherwise, marijuana can be addictive: Nearly 10% of people who use it become dependent on it.

If you’re a long-time user, you can have physical withdrawal symptoms -- like cravings, irritability, sleeplessness, and less appetite -- when you stop.

Research shows a link between marijuana use and mental health problems like depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, short-term psychosis, and schizophrenia. While it’s not clear if marijuana causes these conditions, it can make them worse.

Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana

Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,182,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
tofur, you seem to have a lot to learn.

THC and other compounds in marijuana can also affect the way your body works
No matter how it gets into your system, it affects almost every organ in your body, and your nervous system and immune system, too
moking pot can increase your heart rate by as much as two times for up to 3 hours. That’s why some people have a heart attack right after they use marijuana. It can increase bleeding, lower blood pressure, and affect your blood sugar, too.

We don’t yet know if marijuana is linked to higher odds of getting lung cancer. But the process does irritate your lungs -- which is why regular pot smokers are more likely to have an ongoing cough and to have lung-related health problems like chest colds and lung infections.

Other physical effects of marijuana include:

* Dizziness
* Shallow breathing
* Red eyes and dilated pupils
* Dry mouth
* Increased appetite
* Slowed reaction time (If you drive after using marijuana, your risk of being in a car accident more than doubles.)

* A distorted sense of time
* Random thinking
* Paranoia
* Anxiety
* Depression
* Short-term forgetfulness

isks of Marijuana Use

Though you may have heard otherwise, marijuana can be addictive: Nearly 10% of people who use it become dependent on it.

If you’re a long-time user, you can have physical withdrawal symptoms -- like cravings, irritability, sleeplessness, and less appetite -- when you stop.

Research shows a link between marijuana use and mental health problems like depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, short-term psychosis, and schizophrenia. While it’s not clear if marijuana causes these conditions, it can make them worse.

Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana
You're wasting your time.

Potheads don't actually believe that smoking pot is bad for you. "It's medicine" lol

These threads always turn into a comparison between weed and alcohol and they shouldn't. Yes, pot should be legal, but one of the reasons people don't want it legal is because those that smoke it tend to have this erroneous perception that it's not bad for them and ok to drive, work, and function on daily. That's always been my beef with it too. It's not the drug that people hate on. It's the counter culture nonsense and irresponsibility that that comes with it. When I smoked pot, I did it all day everyday. People that use it like this are about 1 in 3 that smoke. ALL the the people that I know that still smoke pot get high at work and drive on it. I agree that it's far less dangerous and it's easier to be productive on that alcohol, but it's still a mind altering substance that should be treated just like any other drug.

When pot smokers come to terms with this, it will be legalized everywhere.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,532,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
You're wasting your time.

Potheads don't actually believe that smoking pot is bad for you. "It's medicine" lol

These threads always turn into a comparison between weed and alcohol and they shouldn't. Yes, pot should be legal, but one of the reasons people don't want it legal is because those that smoke it tend to have this erroneous perception that it's not bad for them and ok to drive, work, and function on daily. That's always been my beef with it too. It's not the drug that people hate on. It's the counter culture nonsense and irresponsibility that that comes with it. When I smoked pot, I did it all day everyday. People that use it like this are about 1 in 3 that smoke. ALL the the people that I know that still smoke pot get high at work and drive on it. I agree that it's far less dangerous and it's easier to be productive on that alcohol, but it's still a mind altering substance that should be treated just like any other drug.

When pot smokers come to terms with this, it will be legalized everywhere.
Some very good points and insight, lucky4life
Don't agree with it all, but I like your level head

Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
With all due respect to your opinion, I disagree.

Have you seen what is actually in pot??
It has 3 times more nicotine than a cigarette, not to mention the other chemicals in it.
Which also makes it physically difficult to stop using.

And their is evidence that it gets into the brain cells and attaches fat to the brain cells, thus altering the brains functions. Such as paranoia, schizophrenia, confusion, depression, etc.
There is no nicotine in marijuana, so right off the bat you have lost all credibility....

Marijuana v.s. Tobacco smoke compositions

Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it deposits about 4 times more tar in the lungs compared to average cigarette.
The advice regarding smoking is actually simple: breath in as little smoke as possible and never mix cannabis with tobacco. Using a vapouriser will significantly reduce the exposure to carcinogens, as will consuming cannabis edibles.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Here it is from the American Lung Association
I was wrong, it is 4 times more, not 3.

Marijuana - American Lung Association

Tobacco vs. Marijuana

Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains cancer-causing chemicals. There are
33 cancer-causing chemicals contained in marijuana. Marijuana smoke also deposits tar
into the lungs. In fact, when equal amounts of marijuana and tobacco are smoked,
marijuana deposits four times as much tar into the lungs. This is because marijuana
joints are un-filtered and often more deeply inhaled than cigarettes.

THAT LINK HAS SOME GOOD READS ON THEIR ABOUT POT AND THE EFFECTS
Tar is not nicotine....There is NO nicotine in cannabis.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 AM

29,626 posts, read 16,614,159 times
the OP is still running from the fact that crime rates were down vs 2012 which destroys the entire premise of his argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.