Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not a good idea. I know plenty of students who were turned down by some schools but admitted to much more selective schools. Oddly enough, that happens sometimes because Amherst in your case (but the same applies to many schools) may have thought you were applying there as a "safety" school and would rather admit those they consider more likely to attend. Selectivity is a widely examined factor, but so is yield (the percentage of admitted students who actually end up attending).

Only so much money availabe for college aplications; I stopped around six. Besides, I knew that Amherst was a vast stretch for me, financially as well as academically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 12:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Yep. People need to graduate.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Like New York which offered me a whopping $100 er year for books.
Arizona gives tuition this way if you stay instate. I know of a few RAs I worked with who had to just pay for books as room and board was covered by being an RA.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only so much money availabe for college aplications; I stopped around six. Besides, I knew that Amherst was a vast stretch for me, financially as well as academically.
Then again, application fees were very low 40 years ago when you were applying.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Some of these arguments remind me of another such argument:
Let's say you go to the hospital. Which would you rather have taking care of you, and why?
1. An Associates Degree Registered Nurse
2. A Bachelor of Science Registered Nurse
3. A Master of Science Registered Nurse(not likely to happen)
4. A PhD Registered nurse (EXTREMELY unlikely!)
There is no difference between an associates degree nurse and a bachelors degree nurse in terms of nursing knowledge. The only difference is a bachelors degree nurse has a two year AA combined with their nursing school as apposed to about a year and a half of prerequisites.

I could care less if my nurse took a cultural diversity course or a 100 level math course that is actually easier than the intermediate algebra course that's required to get into nursing school.

The other two options are primarily to teach and not actually nurse.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
There is no difference between an associates degree nurse and a bachelors degree nurse in terms of nursing knowledge. The only difference is a bachelors degree nurse has a two year AA combined with their nursing school as apposed to about a year and a half of prerequisites.

I could care less if my nurse took a cultural diversity course or a 100 level math course that is actually easier than the intermediate algebra course that's required to get into nursing school.

The other two options are primarily to teach and not actually nurse.
I wish you had waited for others to post. I wanted to see how many were aware of that.
Yes, I know, the ADRN and the BSRN take EXACTLY the same certification test before being licensed and allowed to practice.
The MSRN and PhDRN are supervisory or teaching positions, not actual patient care nurses.
I am very well acquainted with an ADRN.
Actually, the way I put it is that BSRNs take a lot of "feather courses" that contribute to the BS degree, but not much to patient care.
I'm sure you know what we here in cattle ranching country say BS stands for. Sadly, all to often the terms are interchangeable!

Old 01-11-2015, 01:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You could be onto something but remember, You may not have multiple community colleges in your county. When I was in New York, my community college had one campus for the county and only one location, compare that to the community college I attended in Arizona, it has three campuses AND one of several community colleges for the county.

A program like this may increase demand which at best increase class size and number of classes but that depends on how many instructors you can get to teach the courses, and how many classrooms you have.
It creates more jobs and another client of the government. It will worsen the experience of serious students. The issue is not one of cost, the issue is of quality. The quality of the students.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It creates more jobs and another client of the government. It will worsen the experience of serious students. The issue is not one of cost, the issue is of quality. The quality of the students.
Agree 100%. As I've already posted, there are significant deficiencies in 2/3 of public school educated Americans. They aren't even functioning at basic 12th grade-level proficiency.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
This guy is a total ass clown.
Please let him go away already.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Agree 100%. As I've already posted, there are significant deficiencies in 2/3 of public school educated Americans. They aren't even functioning at basic 12th grade-level proficiency.
Yep. There are Americans who think it's too hard to get a voter ID. How in the hell can we expect them to go to college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies