Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
For me, it's not the giving to the poor that I gripe about. I voluntarily give to people who ask for donations. I gripe about others forcing me to pay the government, who then decides where my money goes (which may or may not be to someone who legitimately needs it).
again you sound cheap. because you give to charities you don't get a pass on that part of your taxes. most people do give to charity. run for office if you don't like how taxes are spent.

Last edited by hothulamaui; 01-13-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM

139 posts, read 250,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I view people who gripe how much tax they pay to the poor as cheap. I mean really, how much comes out of your pocket a year?
Between income tax and sales tax, around $40,000/year. Do you not realize what a significant chuck of peoples' money goes to taxes? People that don't have jobs don't seem to comprehend how ridiculous taxes are.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Instead of mandatorily deducting the tax directly from your paycheck, give everyone the option of how much they want to contribute towards welfare programs. Do you think, when it came time to writing that number down, that liberals would be paying the same amount they pay now. Or even more?

I bet welfare funding would drop to nearly nothing.
as long as I get to elect how much of my paycheck goes to the CIA, NSA, and military

my math would be cut it by 1/4 and put 0 to CIA, NSA, and military

and the remainder to welfare.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:39 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Between income tax and sales tax, around $40,000/year. Do you not realize what a significant chuck of peoples' money goes to taxes? People that don't have jobs don't seem to comprehend how ridiculous taxes are.
It cost money to live.
And it cost more to live in a society.

Most of these costs are not optional.
Many of those costs are more easily born by society than by the individual.
Where is the break even point?

How much is too much tax for society to operate smoothly?
How much is too little tax for society to operate smoothly?

If you don't like a program because it is inefficient or not needed, then give evidence of the waste and a way to reform it and then get your pals to agree and approve.

If you don't like a program because you just don't want to pay, go find some far off land where you can make all the rules and live as you like.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
the op is about specifically welfare tax, not what we pay combined for all things. when people gripe about "how much their taxes pay for welfare" in reality they probably spend more in a year on beer & pizza then the dollar amount of "their" taxes that is spent on welfare.

odd, they are not mad about all the other tax we pay. not only is it selfish and cheap it is an attitude of superiority.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It cost money to live.
And it cost more to live in a society.

Most of these costs are not optional.
Many of those costs are more easily born by society than by the individual.
Where is the break even point?

How much is too much tax for society to operate smoothly?
How much is too little tax for society to operate smoothly?

If you don't like a program because it is inefficient or not needed, then give evidence of the waste and a way to reform it and then get your pals to agree and approve.

If you don't like a program because you just don't want to pay, go find some far off land where you can make all the rules and live as you like.

or again they can run for office.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
or again they can run for office.
The best thing to do is learn how to use the tax code to your advantage.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The best thing to do is learn how to use the tax code to your advantage.
yes like all the big wigs. remember leona saying only poor people pay taxes?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Instead of mandatorily deducting the tax directly from your paycheck, give everyone the option of how much they want to contribute towards welfare programs. Do you think, when it came time to writing that number down, that liberals would be paying the same amount they pay now. Or even more?

I bet welfare funding would drop to nearly nothing.
Ask how much they wish to contribute and then tell them how much of that contribution will be lost to accepted waste and inefficentcy. subtract the W&E from the amount designated as contribution.

When will the voters ever stand up and tell prospective elected representatives what they expect rather than listen to what the candidate tells them he will do?

All budgets should be frozen until each program shows what waste and inefficiency have been eliminated to reduce the original projected budget. A candidate who does that desrves to be elected for life, as in re-elected, instead of a life time job because they share some phenotypical or ethnic background in common.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Is your ambition to be a rich person in a nation full of poor people who don't see their basic needs met? How noble of you.
Quote:
Is your ambition to provide financial security for your kids in a nation full of lazy people who prefer to leech off of the system? How noble of you.

See. You're not the only one that can play word games.
Funny thing is that there is a thread of truth to both of these statements, yet neither one of them is 100% of the truth. It's absolute comments like this that keep us all fighting.

Why can't people believe that:
1. There is a need for welfare, and to provide for the needy means that some people will take advantage of the system, whilst;
2. There are some lazy-ass people out there who take advantage of the system, and to weed all of them out would mean that people who really need it won't get it.

I realize there is a full spectrum of (realistic) beliefs along the continuum of what is right, but nobody (I think) can say with a strait face that there are not at lease some people who need help, nor can anyone say with a strait face that NO people take advantage.

Instead of always finding what is wrong (there is plenty to find), why not try to figure out the best mix of what is right,and then take it a step further and realize that your "right" may not be the same as someone else's, but through compromise, we can surely do better than we do right now...

Last edited by Myghost; 01-13-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies