Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
In my case I don't want anyone to abuse the system, whether it's someone breeding for welfare (more common than you think), corporations getting tax breaks to send jobs overseas, bankers etc. I have stated in many threads my hatred for companies sending jobs overseas and those who pay less in taxes than me, though they make more. However, sticking to this thread there are people who abuse the system and that needs to be fixed. When I was working poor I had to watch my money and nothing more offensive than buying cans of tuna for several meals while someone on food stamps was buying steak, lobster, candy and much more that I couldn't afford. We'd all like to think most getting food stamps are buying food but this isn't always the case. On another forum devoted to food stamps some have discussed buying filet mignon, fancy cheeses, caviar even (yes someone stated this), lobster etc. Those aren't needed foods, instead they should be buying bread, milk, cheaper meats just like a working poor person would be.

I agree with this- my parents were probably close to qualifying for Food Stamps at some points growing up (with 6 kids) but we never received them. It just seems from my perspective (as a former employee at a major welfare department) that the abuse is overstated.

People have to jump through hoops to keep their food stamps, and for many it is very much a necessity (even if it is NOT intended to be).

And even if some buy lobster and filet mignon, at least they are putting real money into the coffers of AMERICAN stores with AMERICAN employees. I can assure you that businesses don't care one iota if customers are buying things with cash, credit or food stamps. Wal Mart even protested the latest food stamp cuts saying that it hurt their bottom line.

That is A LOT more than can be said for tax cheats that hide their money in foreign countries, nationless corporations that strip jobs away from Americans, our central bank that gives TRILLIONS in bailout money to foreign banks and corporations, etc. And these are people with an ENORMOUS amount of power and control on our Government. Don't be fearful of authority.

Everyone should play by the same rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree with this- my parents were probably close to qualifying for Food Stamps at some points growing up (with 6 kids) but we never received them. It just seems from my perspective (as a former employee at a major welfare department) that the abuse is overstated.

People have to jump through hoops to keep their food stamps, and for many it is very much a necessity (even if it is NOT intended to be).

And even if some buy lobster and filet mignon, at least they are putting real money into the coffers of AMERICAN stores with AMERICAN employees. I can assure you that businesses don't care one iota if customers are buying things with cash, credit or food stamps. Wal Mart even protested the latest food stamp cuts saying that it hurt their bottom line.

That is A LOT more than can be said for tax cheats that hide their money in foreign countries, nationless corporations that strip jobs away from Americans, our central bank that gives TRILLIONS in bailout money to foreign banks and corporations, etc. And these are people with an ENORMOUS amount of power and control on our Government. Don't be fearful of authority.

Everyone should play by the same rules.
The problem with the system is often those who need help can't get it while others do who are frauds. That's a problem because there are people suffering who need the help and can't get it. I have known lots of people on welfare (not just food stamps)who were abusing the system and I turned in quite a few. That's why I support a system where abuses are curtailed and some things aren't allowed. I guarantee if they cut out the luxuries the frauds will likely stop using it or use it as it is intended.

On the other hand, there are many more on food stamps because of the economy. For everyone who says to get a job there aren't many that pay well so people often need help. Most of the time these are the people who use the program as intended, and they usually work. Meanwhile many companies get tax breaks and sending needed jobs overseas that would help these people. Of course it goes without saying that those abusing the system wouldn't be getting a job anyway so they are the ones that need to be investigated.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,753 times
Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that it's okay for food stamp recipients to buy steak and lobster because it supports business. I'm not saying they should eat dog food, but if they're able afford luxury items they're either a) not truly in need or b) receiving way too much money.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
These ungrateful food stamp collectors are complaining that they aren't getting enough handouts. None of these people look like they're going hungry to me. Especially not the one in the Armani shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dZXVc1sQVg
Must have been a slow news day at CBS.

Most people complain.

Taxes, their boss, their employer, their customers, their paycheck, their bonus, the ROI on savings, their spouse, their significant other, their parents, their kids, poor people, rich people, lazy people, workaholics, the schools, the president, the other party, the Muslims, the Jews, the Christian Right, Warmongers, the Military Complex, Welfare recipients, the Disabled, Seniors, Millennials, Baby Boomers, Gun Nuts, Baby Killers, Pollution, Tree Huggers, ASPCA, Corporations, Walmart, Illegals and on and on.

It's amazing we have any time to clean our toilet with so little time and so much to complain about.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The problem with the system is often those who need help can't get it while others do who are frauds. That's a problem because there are people suffering who need the help and can't get it. I have known lots of people on welfare (not just food stamps)who were abusing the system and I turned in quite a few. That's why I support a system where abuses are curtailed and some things aren't allowed. I guarantee if they cut out the luxuries the frauds will likely stop using it or use it as it is intended.

On the other hand, there are many more on food stamps because of the economy. For everyone who says to get a job there aren't many that pay well so people often need help. Most of the time these are the people who use the program as intended, and they usually work. Meanwhile many companies get tax breaks and sending needed jobs overseas that would help these people. Of course it goes without saying that those abusing the system wouldn't be getting a job anyway so they are the ones that need to be investigated.
Agreed, and that may be a good idea. I've stated earlier that Food Stamps should only be used at local farmer markets and food co-ops. They should not be used at Wal Mart or the corner store to get candy and soda.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
What an absolute load of crap on the part of the OP. Just starting a bonfire and pouring gas on it to get everyone inflamed over black people getting food stamps.

I researched the OPs link.

That story aired 6 years ago in july 2008 when President Bush was still president of the US.

Nobody can tell me he didn't know that and if they do, I won't believe it.

You've all been taken in by the hate, disinformation and downright obfuscation of the usual spiteful right wing perpetrators again.

You duplicitous righties ought to be ashamed of yourselves but I'll bet you're actually proud of yourself for fostering off a news item that first aired during the Bush administration as a current news story.
Uploaded to utube on July 2, 2008 What a sick puppy joke.

Uploaded on Jul 2, 2008
"Only On The Web" CBS News correspondent Seth Doane travels to a supermarket in Chicago, where shoppers who use food stamps must struggle with hunger in the face of rising grocery costs.

"No More Handouts" my azz.
How about no more BS?

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-16-2015 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM

276 posts, read 330,650 times
Food stamp is indeed quite low. If jobs paid well, we had national healthcare like other western countries, etc. there would be no in need of any food stamp.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Food stamp is indeed quite low. If jobs paid well, we had national healthcare like other western countries, etc. there would be no in need of any food stamp.
The link the OP put up was from July 2nd, 2008, when GW Bush was still president. President Obama and congress have done a lot to the Food stamp program to address the problems with the program since then.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
In 2013 welfare fraud was down to 3.2% of all cases, down from 8% in 2002. The GOP myth (that the majority of those on food stamps are welfare queens gaming the system) is quite possibly their most easily debunked of all. Not only is it completely false, but any economist will tell you SNAP more than pays for itself--according to the USDA $1 in SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in GDP.

The biggest trick the GOP devil ever pulled was convincing a large number of Americans that minor self-paying programs like SNAP are the cause of our fiscal woes, while pushing for debt-swelling corporate subsides and tax cuts for the rich.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-16-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that it's okay for food stamp recipients to buy steak and lobster because it supports business. I'm not saying they should eat dog food, but if they're able afford luxury items they're either a) not truly in need or b) receiving way too much money.
I don't either, I was responding to the other things. I found a food stamp forum and there were people stating they do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies