Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times

Advertisements

In the news, the Pope has said that freedom of expression should be restricted where insults to religion are concerned. How about restricting religion where attacks on freedom of expression are concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
In the news, the Pope has said that freedom of expression should be restricted where insults to religion are concerned. How about restricting religion where attacks on freedom of expression are concerned?
The current "Pope" is an ass.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Uh oh the liberals Pope just got dirt on his vestments.

Pope Sees Limits to Freedom of Speech - WSJ

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Seems like he is saying think before you speak, not ban speech against religion.
Quote:
“One cannot react violently, but if (someone) says something bad about my mother, he can expect a punch. It’s to be expected,” the pontiff said. “There are a lot of people who speak badly about other religions. They make fun of them. What happens is what happens with my friend (who insults my mother). There is a limit.”
He also condemned violence by religious zealots.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 AM

276 posts, read 330,461 times
He said to think before you speak, and is for freedom of expression/speech. He condemns any type of violence, and those committed by religious zealots and Islamic radicalism. This current Pope is AMAZING (I'm non-Catholic)!

I would also say the same thing, especially when there is constant threat against the Vatican.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Proof positive that violence works.

Doubt you'd see the National Endowment for the Arts subsidizing a picture of a Crucifix submerged in a jar of urine if Catholics blew stuff up and killed people whenever someone said/wrote/drew/sculpted something offensive about Jesus.

Imagine, when the absolute rubbish of a film that was "The Last Temptation of Christ" resulted in some Christian terrorists blowing up half of Los Angeles as retribution for insults to their prophet, Lord and Savior.

Basically, if people die and stuff gets blown up every time someone in a particular group gets offended, the rest of society outside that group will eventually become wary about offending them.

Muslims get their way because whenever they don't, they kill, maim and destroy. It works, and it works well.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Religious leaders are always sensitive when someone poke fun at their cults and superstitions. Now...did he call on Catholics to go out and kill those that mock Catholicism or print pictures of Jesus?

Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Proof positive that violence works.

Doubt you'd see the National Endowment for the Arts subsidizing a picture of a Crucifix submerged in a jar of urine if Catholics blew stuff up and killed people whenever someone said/wrote/drew/sculpted something offensive about Jesus.

Imagine, when the absolute rubbish of a film that was "The Last Temptation of Christ" resulted in some Christian terrorists blowing up half of Los Angeles as retribution for insults to their prophet, Lord and Savior.

Basically, if people die and stuff gets blown up every time someone in a particular group gets offended, the rest of society outside that group will eventually become wary about offending them.

Muslims get their way because whenever they don't, they kill, maim and destroy. It works, and it works well.
It's ironic...no hypocritical, when our nation's leaders condemn a home-made video that looks at Mohammad in a humorous way....after attending The Book of Mormon, that does exactly the same thing with LDS. Or that Comedy Central self-censors things that might offend Muslims, but promotes those that are vile attacks on Christians or Jews. Or worse, as you pointed out, when our government funds attacks on Christians, yet attacks individuals that stand up to Islamic extremists.

We have a lot of cowards in the media and in elected office that cower to threats of violence from extremists. In doing so, they do exactly as the extremists desire. When you cower to violent thugs, the thugs have won.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
“One cannot react violently, but if (someone) says something bad about my mother, he can expect a punch. It’s to be expected,” the pontiff said. “There are a lot of people who speak badly about other religions. They make fun of them. What happens is what happens with my friend (who insults my mother). There is a limit.”

So, I guess all that "turn the other cheek" stuff is no longer valid? I thought that was what separated Christianity from Islam. The notion of forgiveness and redemption. Boy was I wrong about that!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Insulting religion is off limits but insulting freedom or it's symbols is ok? Like burning the US flag (a favorite expression of free speech by some.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies