Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Religions have "holy matrimony" Why should a church get to dictate what the government calls a contract?
Exactly. And who in the world would police the use of the term anyway? People are going to call themselves married no matter what the legal term is....they certainly won't go around telling people that they are "civil unioned".

The definitions of words change all the time, so I just don't get those who insist that redefining the word is the biggest issue. Clearly, it is not just the word that bothers them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
Exactly. And who in the world would police the use of the term anyway? People are going to call themselves married no matter what the legal term is....they certainly won't go around telling people that they are "civil unioned".

The definitions of words change all the time, so I just don't get those who insist that redefining the word is the biggest issue. Clearly, it is not just the word that bothers them.
Especially since all legally married couples *are* in a civil union, which requires a license from a civil authority. The church part is optional - and, in the us, always has been.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I think it will be the opposite. States do not have to recognize all marriages from other states. (example - states do not have to recognize first cousin marriages from other states)
Application of the Fourteenth Amendment has never been applied to that issue at the federal level. Most states do recognize first cousin marriages solemnized in other states and all state-level appellate cases over the last thirty years have been decided in favor of recognition, so there has been no need to test the Fourteenth Amendment on that matter in recent years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
And who in the world would police the use of the term anyway?
Isn't that precisely what opponents of marriage equality want: The foundation on which to discriminate against same-sex couples with impunity? I can readily see such people filing suit against same-sex couples for misrepresentation. Imagine the Masterpiece Cakeshop incident with a small twist, with the mother of one of the grooms making the arrangements herself instead of with the grooms present. I don't underestimate how low some folks will stoop on this issue.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
And same-sex marriage allows everybody the same right to marry the person of their choice of the same sex. You too can marry a person of the same sex.
No, that's deviant behavior.

Why would I legislate for deviant behavior?

That means deviants want special rights.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

The special right to get married? Like the special right you have?
Our laws can not discriminate based on gender, sorry

Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Only true if your perspective, held now by a minority of Americans, is thereby deviant, and therefore worthy of being marginalized. You're in a catch-22 even if you're unwilling to admit it: Now that you are in the minority, the lame excuse you have for your abject intolerance no longer provides any support for your cause.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:

Left handed people are "deviant" from the norm.

Why should we give them special rights?!?!?!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Left handed people are "deviant" from the norm.

Why should we give them special rights?!?!?!
My daughter's public school classroom actually had "left handed" scissors. Now, we homeschool.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
Left handed scissors offended you so much you pulled your kid out of school?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Left handed scissors offended you so much you pulled your kid out of school?
It was a joke. Once upon a time, that would have been obvious. See "Poe's Law".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies