Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Should understand that he gave healthcare to all in the USA because the Democrats made him do it. He is nothing but a liberal, Democratic pawn in the game of life.

5 Reasons Ronald Reagan Couldn't Make It In Today's GOP | Page 3 of 6 | The National Memo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Reagan was a likeable prez and the nation was relatively prosperous during his two terms. I voted for Ronnie both times and still feel he was the better choice in both elections.

And I understand the Reagan worship among today's Pubs. The GOP presidents since 1988 have been nothing to write home about. And prior to Ronnie they have to go back to Ike. You've gotta be as old as me to remember those good ol' days.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Mixed bag for me, he did a lot of good things, but some bad as well. Overall...meh. He was doing the best job he could in a incredibly difficult job. Kinda like most of our presidents.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
He was more of a classical liberal...not a neo-con or progressive, which both want government to get involved, just in different ways. The terms are all messed up. Liberal should mean what it used to mean, which is that you leave people alone to make their own decisions without trying to dictate how they live.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Should understand that he gave healthcare to all in the USA because the Democrats made him do it. He is nothing but a liberal, Democratic pawn in the game of life.

5 Reasons Ronald Reagan Couldn't Make It In Today's GOP | Page 3 of 6 | The National Memo
The Democrats made him do it when the R's controlled the Senate?

Composition of Congress by Party 1855

Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Reagan was a likeable prez and the nation was relatively prosperous during his two terms. I voted for Ronnie both times and still feel he was the better choice in both elections.

And I understand the Reagan worship among today's Pubs. The GOP presidents since 1988 have been nothing to write home about. And prior to Ronnie they have to go back to Ike. You've gotta be as old as me to remember those good ol' days.
I don't. The Rs claim to favor less government/less government spending yet Reagan both grew government during his tenure and spent like a drunken sailor on things that suited his agenda.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:45 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
If Romney could get the nomination in today's GOP, so could Reagan

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't. The Rs claim to favor less government/less government spending yet Reagan both grew government during his tenure and spent like a drunken sailor on things that suited his agenda.
Reagan's policies aren't what they're enamored with. Clearly in today's climate, he'd be run out of the party as a RINO. They do recognize the fact that he's the only GOP prez in the past half century who was popular with the public.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd say the president gets more credit and blame than they should. No matter who is in office, the government continues on without much change. I think all of the bureaucrats in every department should get more attention for their influence on things. The president is mostly just a face, especially these days when the two major parties decide on which two candidates everyone gets to decide between.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Reagan's policies aren't what they're enamored with. Clearly in today's climate, he'd be run out of the party as a RINO. They do recognize the fact that he's the only GOP prez in the past half century who was popular with the public.
Gotcha! I'd say both parties would love to have a candidate with Reagan's popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies