Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because only the short term matters when going to college. That is called short sighted thinking.
well I didn't want to say long term because the data for this generation obviously isn't out yet, but I'll bet a lot that those english and communication majors (And the like) aren't going to do much better than their just high school diploma peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Employers will then hire teenagers and not the older unskilled, uneducated workers.
There are school hours as well. The high school students will be in school, so the older set can work then. It's a model that's been working well in other countries.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
well I didn't want to say long term because the data for this generation obviously isn't out yet, but I'll bet a lot that those english and communication majors (And the like) aren't going to do much better than their just high school diploma peers.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, there are a number of good paying jobs that just require someone to have a college degree.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In his SOTU speech last night, BO mentioned something about 'ever try raising a family on minimum wage?' (or something to that effect)
To which I responded: "If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Is that too harsh?
Who cares what you think? Yes a screen name called "lenniel" should define for every other human being the conditions under which they decide to have children. SMH

Old 01-21-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that, there are a number of good paying jobs that just require someone to have a college degree.
what jobs? I'm not talking about the tech or healthcare fields. What sort of jobs are the philosophy major now qualified for that he wasn't already qualified before?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
what jobs? I'm not talking about the tech or healthcare fields. What sort of jobs are the philosophy major now qualified for that he wasn't already qualified before?
Check out glassdoor and you can easily find desk jobs that require a college degree, but don't specify what kind of degree. In New York, my wife worked for a recruiter and their requirement was for people to have a college degree, but it didn't matter what kind of degree.

Obviously getting a degree in a field you plan on working in is better, but that doesn't mean it is the only field that degree is good in. Having a college degree is always better than not having one.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Check out glassdoor and you can easily find desk jobs that require a college degree, but don't specify what kind of degree. In New York, my wife worked for a recruiter and their requirement was for people to have a college degree, but it didn't matter what kind of degree.

Obviously getting a degree in a field you plan on working in is better, but that doesn't mean it is the only field that degree is good in. Having a college degree is always better than not having one.

how long ago was this? the 90s?
or more likely, they are going to end up working the same retail job they had in high school, but with a 50k debt on their heads.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
how long ago was this? the 90s?
or more likely, they are going to end up working the same retail job they had in high school, but with a 50k debt on their heads.
Last year, and it was for a high end household staffing agency. They were in charge of placing jobs for people making $50-150K a year. Though this is New York prices so more along the lines of $35-90K a year anywhere else. These aren't high paying jobs that require any college degree, but they are jobs that require a college degree.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Who cares what you think? Yes a screen name called "lenniel" should define for every other human being the conditions under which they decide to have children. SMH
uh, the ability to support your offspring should be included in the decision. Why would you have kids when you won't make enough to feed them? Doing that is pathetic, self centered and is not giving the children a decent start in life.

"If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Yep, I agree with that. It should be common sense to know you can't afford to have kids.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
uh, the ability to support your offspring should be included in the decision. Why would you have kids when you won't make enough to feed them? Doing that is pathetic, self centered and is not giving the children a decent start in life.

"If you're only qualified to earn minimum wage, you shouldn't be having a family you're trying to feed"

Yep, I agree with that. It should be common sense to know you can't afford to have kids.
Most people that have their kids in their 20s can't afford to have children at that moment. Though that doesn't mean they won't be able to afford children in the long run as their pay increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies