Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Community college is already nearly useless and assuming this particular fantasy ever became a reality, the Associates Degree would push high school diplomas down to about 6th grade in terms of prestige, and replace the high school diploma as something that shows up on your resume only if you never attend any more college and have never held any job ever.
This is not true at all quite frankly people really need to stop touting this myth. It's a common elitist outlook to look down on people that go to public schools I know. Just for starters most community colleges provide programs in healthcare and some have programs such as Radiology. They gear their programs towards ones where the person can start working as soon as they graduate without having 80k in debt. I guarantee there are plenty of people that started out with a 2 year degree at a CC making more money and in better financial shape than someone that went to an expensive 4 year liberal arts school. I'm not going to let that bs about CC's go unchecked.

Here is a quote from someone in the Work and Employment Forums :

Quote:

for example. There are plenty of hardworking Millennials. I'm 26 and
made over $60,000 last year and am slated to bring in $75,000 this year, and I'm
just a community college graduate.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: addl point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
God I hate liberalism
Don't hate them, just pity them. Most aren't smart enough to know any better. Or even smart enough to know that they don't know any better.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Late 80s explains it. Im sure some areas in the country where cost of living is cheaper you could save alot of money on low wage jobs. It sounds like you have a very good low cost community college. Ours is about 25% more expensive, our biggest cost of living expensive is housing. Rents got crazy here the last 10 years.
The numbers I posted as far as cost are the CURRENT costs, not from the 80's.

As far as housing goes, if you aren't going to junior college, does that mean you are living somewhere?

No matter what, you still need a place to live. If I'm paying $1,200 a month to live in an apartment while not going to community college, paying $1,200 a month while going to community college doesn't change much.

The majority of young people who say they can't afford community college are just making excuses.

Quote:
Free corporate jets, free money to make profit, free raises, free money to create jobs or open a new location and still they threaten us if we don't give more they will take our jobs overseas. The rich call us names, they hate us. they hate you because they believe they are gods chosen, well aren't they? They are moralely superior because they got rich. But its not stealing for them because they earned there class so we should pay. Why should they earn all there wealth?

You're right petch751, those on the dole could care less
Wow. I'm sorry, but your ignorance on such matters is quite astounding.

Quote:
No corporate america who makes multi billion gets tax breaks and incentives to buy corporate jets. Petch751 your just not rich enough or worked hard enough bummer huh? Bet it even feels better to pay for there private jets too. Esp when corporate america has your back and interests in mind. Hmmmmmmm not.
Please give us examples of free corporate jets?

Quote:
No i think paying fair share of taxes will help, maybe not jobs but other tax burdens. You think lowering taxes and government regulations will help create jobs? Explain how, when corporate america has seen the most profit in history of this country and they are still sending jobs overseas and have you seen the condition of the workers in those countries that have almost no government or regulations on labor. Alot look like sweat shops of old. How can you believe they would treat US workers any better if government wasn't there? Because we are americans? Bwahahaha. Greed is not something that should be rewarded.
Please tell us about this fair share?

If a person making $10 million a year is paying $1.5 million in taxes and a person making $50,000 is paying $9,000, do you believe that the person paying $1,491,000 more each year isn't paying their "fair" share?

Businesses are in business to make money. Do you not understand this? When you lower taxes and costs of doing business, it attracts companies.

Why do you believe Walmart is the largest retailer? Do you believe it's superior service? Do you think it's beautifully appointed stores with fountains and sitting areas with leather recliners? Or, do you think it's price? We all know it's price. People go to Walrmart specifically to buy cheap products. They know these cheap products are made overseas in places like China, India, Bangladesh, etc, but they buy it anyway because it's cheap. What do you think would happen if you started a company in the US making televisions, and you're 50" lcd tv that is essentially the same as everybody else's cost $300 more? You wouldn't sell them. You would go out of business. All the money you invested to set up the manufacturing, marketing, etc would be gone. If American companies weren't manufacturing overseas where it was cheaper, another company would be doing it and the American company would be out of business. If Apple hadn't moved their manufacturing overseas, you'd have the choice between Samsung and LG phones. Hardly anybody would be paying $1200 for an iPhone over a $400 Samsung.

We live in a global economy where there are always going to be third world countries that will gladly offer up low wages and less regulations. You can either choose to have American companies utilizing these places and hiring Americans on the corporate side or have foreign companies selling those goods with those corporate jobs going to other countries.

The only way to keep all the manufacturing here is to not allow any foreign goods to come in or impose such high tariffs that it will level the playing field. Of course, if you jack up tariffs, you will end up in a trade war and not be exporting anything.

This idea that we have a bunch of robber barons running America and lighting cigars with $1000 bills while the government writes them checks and delivers free jets is quite naive.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
[/b]

I consider myself the same. But out of curiosity, where do you fall on this topic. For, or against the program?
I am pro-Obama; I even volunteered grassrooting for him.
However with the limited knowledge I have currently about the issue, I will say I am against.
My opinion might or might not change if I dive more into it.

I just feel alot of people are easy to say they are pro or con something without really know the real issue, the execution process of the proposed system and so forth. Heck, some of them just read a title of an article and then voice their opinions without reading the article.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This is not true at all quite frankly people really need to stop touting this myth. It's a common elitist outlook to look down on people that go to public schools I know. Just for starters most community colleges provide programs in healthcare and some have programs such as Radiology. They gear their programs towards ones where the person can start working as soon as they graduate without having 80k in debt. I guarantee there are plenty of people that started out with a 2 year degree at a CC making more money and in better financial shape than someone that went to an expensive 4 year liberal arts school. I'm not going to let that bs about CC's go unchecked.

Here is a quote from someone in the Work and Employment Forums :
Yep, completely.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@PedroMartinez

If a person making $10 million a year is paying $1.5 million in taxes and a person making $50,000 is paying $9,000, do you believe that the person paying $1,491,000 more each year isn't paying their "fair" share?

Uhmmm, Pedro don't try to pull a fast one on me. First the issue has never been about tax rates. Sure the rich get billed a higher tax rate and looks like they pay more taxes then middle class. But the issue is loopholes and tax breaks that take what appears to be a high tax rate and in practical application makes it a 2% tax rate after the loopholes and taxbreaks.

Padro, come on you said you competed C.C in the 80's thats what i was commenting on, yes late 80's i could of paid my way thru college easier. Money had more value back then.

I said it sounds like you have a great and cheap community college (in the present). Yes if your going to go to college your going to pay for housing. The difference your not getting is if someone is making 1,500 a mth

Pg 1/2

Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
If you think this is outrageous, wait until liberals try to seize YOUR money, in YOUR 401K and IRA accounts, to fund the government. This has been proposed several times by some of the wackier Dems. I might be wrong, but I suspect such an action will cause a violent revolution. As will Obama's latest wealth seizure scam to take the savings of those that invested in their families future, should such a law actually be passed. As it should. Theft is theft, and yes, thieves caught in the act do deserve to be shot.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Pg 2/2

back then that was good money, today thats not. Back then i could of gotten the same apartment i rent today for maybe 400mth, today my studio goes for almost 1,000mth. That same 1,500 you made 20/30 years ago doesn't go as far. So your ability to save becomes less.

Pedro wallmart in china is a good example of what the US worker faces if government and government regulations got out of US labor. Do some research, we are talking sweat shops there and corporation stores. What makes you think it would be any different for us if we deregulate labor? Because we are Americans? All you have to do is take a look at corporations who took our jobs overseas to countries that have little to no government regulations to see what they are all about. But still you support there greed.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
This is so much garbage. My family is solidly middle class and we chose the 529 when our son was born BECAUSE of the tax advantages. Now Obama wants to punish us because we scrimped and saved while we saw other people with children be less reponsible. Our wealth will be transferred to those who were not as responsible as my wife and I. THANKS OBAMA!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you think this is outrageous, wait until liberals try to seize YOUR money, in YOUR 401K and IRA accounts, to fund the government. This has been proposed several times by some of the wackier Dems. I might be wrong, but I suspect such an action will cause a violent revolution. As will Obama's latest wealth seizure scam to take the savings of those that invested in their families future, should such a law actually be passed. As it should. Theft is theft, and yes, thieves caught in the act do deserve to be shot.
It's only a matter of time until they start trying to tax worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies