Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,819,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
I'm not an expert, but would never use someone's geographic location as an argument for their knowledge of geopolitics.
The point was the Nigerian guy's family experienced first hand what Levin was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM

610 posts, read 700,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The point was the Nigerian guy's family experienced first hand what Levin was talking about.
Which doesn't mean they know ANYTHING at all about the root causes of extremist terrorism.

I'm not denying AT ALL whatsoever that Boko Haram are ruthless, scumbag, islamofascist, bark-eating backwoods hillbilly child-murderers and rapists that all deserve to have their heads blown off. I'm just saying that he ignores ENTIRELY what might actually be causing their existence in the first place. It wasn't like North Africa was a lawless Jihadi paradise before 2011. Coincidence, much?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,819,095 times
Quote:
Which doesn't mean they know ANYTHING at all about the root causes of extremist terrorism.

I'm not denying AT ALL whatsoever that Boko Haram are ruthless, scumbag, islamofascist, bark-eating backwoods hillbilly child-murderers and rapists that all deserve to have their heads blown off. I'm just saying that he ignores ENTIRELY what might actually be causing their existence in the first place. It wasn't like North Africa was a lawless Jihadi paradise before 2011. Coincidence, much?
So do you belong to Jimmy Carter's school of thought on the root cause of extremist terrorism?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 PM

963 posts, read 690,896 times
Quote:
Does anybody actually listen to what this hack has to say? I live in Colorado Springs, and so most of the talk stations syndicate him in the afternoons. But I'm amazed at the absolute onslaught of lies and moral platitudes that fit a brainless conservative narrative, like he's some sort of enlightened visionary slash Reagan cult member. Today, however, when discussing the recent Haouthi takeover in the capital of Yemen, his bombastic, disingenuous vitriol was on full display and I need to try and understand how ANYONE lets it fly like he might actually be right ever.

If you listen to this guy, why? I don't mean that to be an insult framed as a rhetorical question, either. I really want to know, why? Do you not realize how full of lies almost EVERYTHING this guy says is?

And before you smear me and try to assassinate my character and call me a lefty and a liberal or a commie... I'm AS far from liberal as you could be. Liberals are just as bad as conservatives and their pundits lie just as much, they just lie differently. So don't accuse me of that, because you'd be totally wrong. The full spectrum of world opinion does not fall along the right-left divide, and neither do I.

I hope politics is the correct forum to put this in.
You've revealed who and what you are. If you hate him so much, DON'T LISTEN! I'll catch the podcast tonight. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 PM

963 posts, read 690,896 times
Quote:
Okay, so, where to even begin?...

Today, he was exclaiming that the Haouthi rebellion is an "islamonazi" rebellion "financed by the Iranians." While not claiming it outright, he alluded to the idea that the government from which they took power was not interested in affiliating with "islamonazis." He also claimed that the president was weak for not saying anything about how the Iranians "export terrorism" to other countries, such as, in this case, Yemen.

But this is all part of a completely non-nuanced narrative in which all people who claim that Sharia carries any authority (most often it is simply an adaptation to tribal law in stone-age backwaters like Yemen) are basically part of the same camp. This is wrong.

The Haouthi rebellion has not been verified to have any connections to Iran whatsoever. This is not to say that they don't. In my own estimation, they probably do, but that's beside the point, because Iran didn't bomb us on 9/11, despite the RIDICULOUS indictment that the justice department handed down on Ramzy Yousef & Co. implicating bin Laden in '96 that claimed that "Iran, al-Qaida and Hezbollah had formed ties" to fight against a "common enemy." To claim outright that it was an Iranian-financed coup is not only irresponsible, but it's inconsequential. The government they overthrew has ACTUALLY PROVIDED A SAFE-HAVEN FOR AL-QAIDA... you know... the people who BUTCHERED NEW YORK. And there's some work speculating he actually funneled money from the Saudi and Emirati elite to AQAP, although I can't verify that past connections made by journalists I respect, and so won't claim it as fact.

The Iranians also don't export terrorism. They absolutely financed Hezbollah prior to the ending of the occupation of southern Lebanon, and I'll concede that they have given Hamas money, but part of that is the fact that the IDF has basically criminalized or eliminated ANY group other than Hamas that has attempted to oppose both the occupation and the Jewish settlements. After the occupation of southern Lebanon was over, Hezbollah stopped being terrorists (most of whom never were) and started being a propaganda machine that occasionally skirmished with the IDF on the southern border.

This could go on forever. He makes it sound so black and white:

There are "islamonazis" that want to "force the West back into the stone age" (although he never explains WHY they want to do that), and then there are the Western forces of democracy and freedom that stand in between America and Sharia law. Really, Mark? You're a damned fool.
GET OFF MY PHONE! That's right, I said it!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
Quote:
That doesn't make anyone right at all, just because they're from Nigeria. He's probably never heard of blowback or all the U.S. interventions or the great reporting on how the overthrow of Qaddafi and the war in Mali strengthened al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb and armed Boko Haram in the first place.

And OF COURSE he agreed. A guy like Mark never would have a smart person on his show who could make a good argument against him, because the would blow his cover. The only people he ever has on who disagree with him are usually drunk liberals that sound like crazies because it fits his broader narrative.
The caller said he was from Nigeria. That would make him 1/715 million people in Nigeria. Most people in Nigeria are more concerned with where their next meal is coming from than spending their meager earnings making a call to a Conservative Entertainer's radio show. The guy could have been calling from 20 feet away or around the corner. Who knows?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Does anybody actually listen to what this hack has to say? I live in Colorado Springs, and so most of the talk stations syndicate him in the afternoons. But I'm amazed at the absolute onslaught of lies and moral platitudes that fit a brainless conservative narrative, like he's some sort of enlightened visionary slash Reagan cult member. Today, however, when discussing the recent Haouthi takeover in the capital of Yemen, his bombastic, disingenuous vitriol was on full display and I need to try and understand how ANYONE lets it fly like he might actually be right ever.

If you listen to this guy, why? I don't mean that to be an insult framed as a rhetorical question, either. I really want to know, why? Do you not realize how full of lies almost EVERYTHING this guy says is?

And before you smear me and try to assassinate my character and call me a lefty and a liberal or a commie... I'm AS far from liberal as you could be. Liberals are just as bad as conservatives and their pundits lie just as much, they just lie differently. So don't accuse me of that, because you'd be totally wrong. The full spectrum of world opinion does not fall along the right-left divide, and neither do I.

I hope politics is the correct forum to put this in.
Sometimes, the guy actually makes sense. I admire his tenacity in demanding that the neocons don't abandon their principles, even though I disagree with them.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So do you belong to Jimmy Carter's school of thought on the root cause of extremist terrorism?
He's got a couple okay-ish points, but no, not especially.

Hosni Mubarak, loyal American sock-puppet journalist-murderer, said it best:

CNN.com - Mubarak warns of '100 bin Ladens' - Mar. 31, 2003

Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Sometimes, the guy actually makes sense. I admire his tenacity in demanding that the neocons don't abandon their principles, even though I disagree with them.
Yeah, I'll give you that. But he's still SUCH a damned liar it's hard to honor anything he does.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
You've revealed who and what you are. If you hate him so much, DON'T LISTEN! I'll catch the podcast tonight. Thanks for reminding me.
Sounds like an assumtpion typical of Levin himself: a single sentence and you suddenly know just "who" I am and discredit everything else I say. Good job being smart, pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies