Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So many posters here are middle class, and they clearly hate -- loathe -- those who are in the upper income class and upper wealth class.

Why can't middle class people just get along with those who earn more/are worth more? I

Is it just jealousy, or is there more to it?
I'm middle class currently. I like the upper class because I aspire to be like them. Many of them have worked hard for what they have and they deserve it.

I dislike poor people because, in general, poor people are lazy and want handouts.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I'm middle class currently. I like the upper class because I aspire to be like them. Many of them have worked hard for what they have and they deserve it.

I dislike poor people because, in general, poor people are lazy and want handouts.
And the blanket statement award goes to...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
So many posters here are middle class, and they clearly hate -- loathe -- those who are in the upper income class and upper wealth class.

Why can't middle class people just get along with those who earn more/are worth more? I

As a single middle class person , I don't have hate for the upper class at all simply because they are generally not the ones that go around robbing and shooting people. They somehow inherited money or had better ideas than myself which allowed them to achieve. If anything, Im mad at not being able to be in on it. Whatever white collar crimes the Gordon Gekkos of the world may commit really doesnt affect my safety walking out of my front door at night . Again, if anything, im mad I wasnt in on it.

But I must say, as a person who works with others making middle class incomes, alot of the middle class' problems are brought on by themselves. Namely trying to keep up with the joneses in the sense of buying unneccessay brand new cars, homes they really couldnt afford, and having too many damm kids and then complaining about it. Again, i get along real easy with people who have their own S*** because I know they're not gonna break in and try to steal my 50 inch TV at 2am when im not home.

If anything, I notice its the really poor who hate everybody above them. Quick too pass blame instead of taking any personal responsibility

Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 PM

338 posts, read 556,686 times
I don't dislike people because of their social status or whatever. I dislike people who are inconsiderate A-holes.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:10 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
At every stratum, there's a tendency to be envious of those in the adjacent stratum above. If we unpack the trope of the 1%, we'll find that within the 1%, those in the bottom half resent those in the top half. The small-millionaire worries about retirement, about the fluctuation of the Euro and the Yen vs. the dollar (and how that affects his international index funds). He's annoyed by the comparatively high taxes on earned income in his bracket. He resents being locked out of what he believes to be the better investment options, the private services available in brokerage houses at the next tier of "membership".

Moving upwards, the fellow with $10M or $20M likely resents those with $100M. It's hard to find sweetheart deals with only a $20M portfolio. And you can forget about being an insider in a deal to take a public company private, and that sort of thing.

And so on.

Envy is endemic to the human condition. Our modern access to information merely feeds the envy, and our superficial doctrine of egalitarianism only exacerbates it.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
So you chose to just ignore the math and statistics?
Not at all. That math and statistics you posted backs up what I said. Real income for the middle-class is up, just not as much as for the wealthy.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
AFAIK, it varies per situation. Some 1% may have earned their $$ through hard work. Others have trampled on others to get to where they are (it may be immoral, but not illegal). Some just inherited their money (I've heard a few criticisms about the Walton kids... own a vast majority of America's wealth, and are sort of undoing the work their father built).

BTW, is there a thread for why those who earn MW hate those making $40K to $100K?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post

^It seems like A LOT of people on this board feel this way and have such blanket ideas in their heads.

I don't see the middle class "hating the 1%." I think most of them are more interested in hating poor people.

The middle class is a big percentage of the population. A lot of people "aspire" to be them. What is sad is that so many of the lower middle-class, working poor, lower IQ and uneducated also "aspire" to be them. It is the carrot on the string. They will never obtain "1% status" as they have no means to achieve it.

MOST who hold the 1% in a higher rank, IMHO, are not smart or savvy enough to see that they are being played by their aspirations.

The class warfare has been a puppet show controlled by the rich since the beginning of this country.

"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half."- Jay Gould, (part of the original 1%)

FYI- "Working class" is what we today call "middle class."

Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

The middle class pays taxes. The 1% skates, often. Prime examples: Mitt Romney, Obama, H. Clinton paid significantly less in taxes than their own secretaries a few years ago, when that info was made public.

There's nothing more to say.

/thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
I don't hate the 1%, I've never actually gave them much thought, did I miss a memo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies