Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM

165 posts, read 169,775 times

Advertisements

The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Slate? Seriously? LOL.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
hoplophobia, look it up, and then see your favorite therapist.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I think a handgun is a very difficult of a firearm to shoot well, there is less to hang on to. without practice, I wonder how can ANYBODY use a handgun as a weapon to defend him or herself.

That being said, I have a friend who supports war, who owns several guns, who is also a 45 year old single man (perhaps a virgin too). He believes that owning all these guns without skills will keep him safe. He is a good guy with multiple guns, I don't think he should own any. He has no kids, but has no problems sending other people's brothers to war, I found it disgusting.

A good guy with skills should have no problems. Let's not pretend every idiot out there should be owning a gun.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-26-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post

By your standards, Maine, VT and NH, etc must be awash in blood!

Machine guns are legal with a federal tax stamp in these states and open carry and concealed carry are allowed.

Meanwhile in NJ which has the, 2nd or so, most strict gun laws in the nation is producing about a murder or more a week.

Do you think just maybe that gangs and drugs and drug buyers might be producing the violence independant of the number of guns and ammo?

For instance stick push pins in a map of NJ to mark each violent crime. You will find the pins are clustered and the predictability of where the next violent act occurs is almost certain. With that level of certainty don't you think a solution would be apparent or at least solutions that do not impact the murder rate set aside? Unfortunately the feel good laws that have no impact have most often been approved.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Slate? Seriously? LOL.

FYI - argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments.

For example:
  • Hitler's Nazi Govt outlawed Abortions and invented interstates.
  • Does this mean Interstates and out lawing of abortions are bad, because Hitler did them?

Slate, by itself, shouldn't be enough to discredit a source. . . .as Slate isn't the source of the data. Slate didn't come up with the report Gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. - PubMed - NCBI

Fox News and Jon Stewart have both been right/wrong on occasion. Blind squirrel can find an acorn and such.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
There is a myth that most people who are killed are victims of a career criminal. A very large % are killed by relatives and acquaintances. Five minutes before that person's shoots he/she is one of the NRA's "good guys."

Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think a handgun is a very difficult of a firearm to shoot well, there is less to hang on to. without practice, I wonder how can ANYBODY use a handgun as a weapon to defend him or herself.

That being said, I have a friend who support war, who owns several guns, who is also a 45 year old single man (perhaps a virgin too). He believes that owning all these guns without skills will keep him safe. He is a good guy with multiple guns, I don't think he should own any. He has no kids, but has no problems sending other people's brothers to war, I found it disgusting.

A good guy with skills should have no problems. Let's not pretend every idiot out there should be owning a gun.
So only "bad" guys should have guns? How do you know of his training with these weapons?

You have already stated your bias towards guns and indicated your hatred of those that go to war when called. So continue to sit in your safe little cocoon and think nothing will ever happen to you just because YOU don't think it possibly could. Naïve and wrong of course.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Can someone stop this thread? There are many, many on the same subject already...........

Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
FYI - argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments.

For example:
  • Hitler's Nazi Govt outlawed Abortions and invented interstates.
  • Does this mean Interstates and out lawing of abortions are bad, because Hitler did them?

Slate, by itself, shouldn't be enough to discredit a source. . . .as Slate isn't the source of the data. Slate didn't come up with the report Gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. - PubMed - NCBI

Fox News and Jon Stewart have both been right/wrong on occasion. Blind squirrel can find an acorn and such.
If something's worth discussing intelligently, then a reference to it should be able to be found somewhere that doesn't have the kind of reputation that Slate has earned.

Do you put a lot of stock in threads started with a link to The Blaze?

I've read these so-called "studies" that say basically what the OP said. This discussion is many years old. He could have found another source if he wanted to rehash the same old propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies