Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I disagree with that.

Matter of fact, I would want to take my guns to public sometimes, but I am in California, I simply cannot do that. It is inconvenient.
Good to know. I live in California too. Yet another reason why I am leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
So I went beyond the Slate link to the actual link to the study from JAMA, and clicked on the references tab connected to the "study".

JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Fatalities in the United States

The references to this "study" are an interesting read, as many of the references referenced in the study are from political anti gun groups with an agenda. Seems like an odd way to go if your goal is a straight unbiased study...

Leftist gun post fail, as usual

Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I believe that just as the First Amendment isn't 100% absolute and should have some restrictions that are very limited and defined, I feel the same about the Second.
If this is what you believe, I agree with you.

Look, life is a balancing art. You can be anti-war, but pro military. You can say you are pro military (this statement is not directed at anybody in this particular thread), but you can be very much of a blood thirsty warmonger.

Second amendment is a right, but right also comes with great responsibilities. I don't think this is something too hard to understand.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Good to know. I live in California too. Yet another reason why I am leaving.
I wish I can too sometimes..

Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
No, you belong in California.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
So I went beyond the Slate link to the actual link to the study from JAMA, and clicked on the references tab connected to the "study".

JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Fatalities in the United States

The References to this "study" are an interesting read, as many of the references referenced in the study are from political anti gun groups with an agenda. Seems like an odd way to go if your goal is a straight unbiased study...

Leftist gun post fail, as usual

LOL

for those of us who have been readers of peer reviewed studies, and have watched the left hijack that process over the last few years, there is nothing "odd" about it.

Liberals have hijacked academia and are using that to thier advantage. They create a perception of unbiased "science" that drives their policy when in fact, its utterly provable that the policy came first and the study was driven by preconcieved outcomes.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:26 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
I tend to believe a CDC study instead of a biased rag like the Slate.

CDC Gun Violence Study's Findings Not What Obama Wanted

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: CDC Gun Violence Study Didn't Give Obama White House Outcome It Wanted - Investors.com

Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence

Here are a few more salient points from the study:
• "Whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue."
• "Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies."
• One "body of research" (Kleck and Gertz, 1995) cited by the study found "estimated annual gun use for self-defense" to be "up to 2.5 million incidents, suggesting that self-defense can be an important crime deterrent."
• "There is empirical evidence that gun turn-in programs are ineffective."

Old 01-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
No, you belong in California.
Okay good to know

It is kind of sad that you are from california, but you hate it here. Must be miserable to be you.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
In regards to Adam Lanza, were any of the guns he used actually his?

I was under the impression they were his mother's guns.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In regards to Adam Lanza, were any of the guns he used actually his?

I was under the impression they were his mother's guns.
So? His mother should have some common sense then. no?

If you had a severely mentally ill son living with you at home, you probably should have locked up all your guns. again, common sense stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies