Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Wow, it's quite disturbing that everyone is focusing on the daughter's action but this teacher gets a free pass.

Sounds like she is trying to stir up trouble by creating a racial divide when there isn't one in the first place.

Doesn't that bother any of you?

That is exactly what the principal has suggested to me she was doing, too.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
No. The OP asked for advise on which way he should go on dealing with this teacher.

I didn't even ask for advise. I asked what would you do, given my choices.

I already know what I'm going to do, so I don't make her hate white people more than she already does.
She will get an education. This is a teaching moment to me. Not a harsh punishment that will just create more resentment. I have to think like the parent she didn't have growing up.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Again my daughter is not the one that created this name, nor has she been accused of saying it.
Then why take it out on my daughters property. Property my daughter has a very high emotional attachment to, that is very hard to find(took me 2 years to find one). Seems immature to me.
Believe it or not, I agree with you.

Part of being a teacher means dealing with a lot of really poorly raised children... which means being able to remain calm and rational when someone is doing everything they can to make you snap. It's a lot harder than you might think and dealing with it over and over again can take a serious toll on your nerves... especially now that teachers have almost zero authority, receive little respect, and have to deal with parents who are more likely to side with their kid.

Teachers need to know how to pick and choose their battles... they can't bring their personal baggage into the classroom, and more often than not they need to appreciate and respect the local political climate or run into trouble. This is something that teachers aren't taught in teacher's college and usually end up learning the hard way... and it means they end up putting barriers between themselves and the students instead of trying to understand them, and the whole student/teacher relationship breaks down.

But you need to understand that people don't just flip out for no reason. And as a new teacher, she is still learning how to do her job and I don't think that one mistake is worth ruining her career over.

I would sit down together with the principal, tell her you appreciate she's new to her job and the area, offer to talk to your daughter about respecting other people (the gesture will help), ask her to pay for the damage and be willing to forgive her if she's willing to forgive you/your daughter.

If she doesn't accept that, then she's probably a lost cause.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:

I already know what I'm going to do, so I don't make her hate white people more than she already does.
She will get an education. This is a teaching moment to me. Not a harsh punishment that will just create more resentment. I have to think like the parent she didn't have growing up.
It is about the money to me.

How this teacher feels about race is not anything you need to teach her.

Take her to court and get the money she cost you.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
But we are also seeing authority not respecting other peoples property.

Look at the teacher that took the kids cell phone from him.....
Tell the kid to leave the room, don't steal his phone right in front of them asking for a confrontation, that could get physical.
i agree with you on that as well. the problem is that there is a decided lack of respect in this country these days, but again it all goes back to the late 50s and the hippie movement. it has gotten much worse with the anonymity of the internet. people can say just about what ever they want, raise all the cain they want, and there is very little consequence as a result.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

BentBow is that guy on that episode of Big Bang Theory who meets up with Leonard after all these years. BentBow talks about Leonard as what great times we had, how much fun. Where leonard is working his will to confront the childhood bully.

How many bullies have approached me and remembered their childhood as friends.

BentBow - guess what - your perception of the events is not trustworthy. It is perception. I doubt racism or unfaltering names are just magically okay in this enlighten school. I doubt you see kids crying at night being made fun of then going to school and putting on brave faces.

So right now, knowing bullies and their parents and how they act, I have serious doubts on your version of events. Plus reading the stuff, and the mention of "victim" reading between the lines I see "white" versus "black" with the white being the bully and the black person not appreciate the bullying.

They call her sista Claira.

- kids don't get to decide what offends the person. The person does. If she doesn't like being called Sista Claira, what is wrong with the kids and their civility to others that they don't respect her wishes?

My daughter flipped out on her, cussed her up one side and down the other.
Though you don't elaborate. A teacher destroying property is a serious offense, normally. Yet even if my kids items are damaged by a teacher, the appropriate reaction is not to verbally assault the teacher. . .but to complain to a principal or supervisor. Seriously, your daughter thinks it is okay to cuss out a teacher

My daughter has been a leader of her class for a long time.
heh, sure. most popular kid. everyone loves her. anonymous survey proves your perception. Daddy's girl can do no wrong.

Would you throw the book at her, or want to educate her, that she does not have to be a victim of who she is in life?

God, you don't tell us why she is in trouble (broke your kids things?). I really doubt its in your hands, more likely the school will decide on discipline.

good luck going to the police. I say try it, if you think you can. Somehow, your perception needs a good smack with reality.

"victim mentality" - what white people call any black person who wants what they have.

Quote:
With my daughter in HS, as an 11th grader a recent event came up.
The HS she goes to is very diversified. These kids have been together for 11 years. A new teacher comes in and tries to change the way these kids interact with each other.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I would endeavor to use this as a teaching moment. EDUCATE the new teacher about how things are in YOUR community.
BUT, make sure the new teacher understands that this is a ONE TIME chance. If anything similar EVER happens again, she best start packing, because she is down the road IMMEDIATELY!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:

My goodness, a mature and sensible approach so as to achieve a resolution that will be a testament to common sense. Whodda thunk it with all the foregoing bluster?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

BentBow is that guy on that episode of Big Bang Theory who meets up with Leonard after all these years. BentBow talks about Leonard as what great times we had, how much fun. Where leonard is working his will to confront the childhood bully.

How many bullies have approached me and remembered their childhood as friends.

BentBow - guess what - your perception of the events is not trustworthy. It is perception. I doubt racism or unfaltering names are just magically okay in this enlighten school. I doubt you see kids crying at night being made fun of then going to school and putting on brave faces.

So right now, knowing bullies and their parents and how they act, I have serious doubts on your version of events. Plus reading the stuff, and the mention of "victim" reading between the lines I see "white" versus "black" with the white being the bully and the black person not appreciate the bullying.

They call her sista Claira.

- kids don't get to decide what offends the person. The person does. If she doesn't like being called Sista Claira, what is wrong with the kids and their civility to others that they don't respect her wishes?

My daughter flipped out on her, cussed her up one side and down the other.
Though you don't elaborate. A teacher destroying property is a serious offense, normally. Yet even if my kids items are damaged by a teacher, the appropriate reaction is not to verbally assault the teacher. . .but to complain to a principal or supervisor. Seriously, your daughter thinks it is okay to cuss out a teacher

My daughter has been a leader of her class for a long time.
heh, sure. most popular kid. everyone loves her. anonymous survey proves your perception. Daddy's girl can do no wrong.

Would you throw the book at her, or want to educate her, that she does not have to be a victim of who she is in life?

God, you don't tell us why she is in trouble (broke your kids things?). I really doubt its in your hands, more likely the school will decide on discipline.

good luck going to the police. I say try it, if you think you can. Somehow, your perception needs a good smack with reality.

"victim mentality" - what white people call any black person who wants what they have.

this. knowing the op i doubt this ever happened anyways.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My goodness, a mature and sensible approach so as to achieve a resolution that will be a testament to common sense. Whodda thunk it with all the foregoing bluster?
I guarantee that if he goes in there with the attitude that he's some sort of authority figure and she has a lot to learn from him, it will go badly.

The best approach doesn't involve 'EDUCATING' anyone-- it's about having a conversation as two adults, both of whom are willing to listen for the sake of trying to understand each other and sorting out their issues.

Look at this forum-- the threads about how stupid liberals are only lead to anyone who identifies as a liberal getting angry and posting about how stupid conservatives are, and then back and forth like that until everyone is pissed and the thread gets locked. It's the number one reason why it's the cesspool it is... because it's more about feeling powerful and being right than about actually communicating and learning from each other.

Unfortunately, dealing with horrible children without losing her **** is part of her job. If parents would raise their kids right it wouldn't be an issue, but that's not going to happen any time soon... so she needs to figure out how to impart something resembling an education without losing her sanity dealing with parents/principals/other teachers who don't agree with her 'style'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies