Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You don't just grab it from a 16yo boy that is not your kid, unless you know he is a passive mommas boy, without a mental problem.

There are more adult things to do, before you stoop to their level.

Treat them like an adult and ask them to leave. If they refuse, get someone with the authority to remove them and don't let them comeback. They get an F for that semester.
Yeah like I said, he went too far. And by retaliating, the kid may have just gotten himself suspended indefinitely from that school. Would you want to teach a student who has assaulted a teacher? And if the school doesn't make a hard example of that kid, they're sending a clear message that physically assaulting any teacher is now fair game.

Had the kid just kept calm and not reacted violently, I imagine he ultimately wins the debate. The teacher would have likely faced discipline of some kind. His reaction pretty much guarantees that the teacher will not be bothered. It's all on the student at this point.

I'm kinda unclear on what was happening though. Was the kid leaving class or did he only start leaving when the teacher took his phone?

Maybe they should simply ban all cell phones at that High School until further notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Maybe the kid is 90% of the discipline problem in this class and the teacher baited him so that he get himself thrown out??? In which case he is done with the kid & the other students aren't constantly distracted, agitated or provoked by the kid.

At any rate I grew up in the 'if it disrupts my class I keep it' era of school discipline.

$5 says the phone either contained proof of drug use, sexting or naked pics. There is no other reason for the kid to put himself out there like that. The cell phone is basically the modern version of a passed note & no one got to keep those when they were passed.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most schools have policies against cell phone use during class and that they can be confiscated and later returned.

If the student had agreed to that policy as terms of their signed code of conduct (my kids have to sign this each year) does it change your opinion?

As it stands you are making it sound like the kid was just eating lunch at McDonalds and some guy walked up and tried to steal his phone.
The School in question is John F. Kennedy High School in Patterson, NJ.
They DO have a Code of Conduct that Students & Parents must sign, with the types of infractions coded by Class with the accompanied Penalty. No Electronic Devises allowed in Class unless the Teacher allows them for Class Work ..... this is pretty common. It's District wide for the Patterson School District.

Patterson SD Student-Teacher Code of Conduct - pdf

The student in this incident has been arrested and charged with Assault. City school officials confirmed that criminal charges have been filed against the student, who has been suspended from school. I think this is a bit unusual - there is usually a "disciplinary hearing" that decides if Criminal charges will be filed. At least that was the way it worked in a couple of school districts I'm familiar with.

A ninth-grader at John F. Kennedy High School in Paterson was arrested Friday and charged with assaulting a teacher in a classroom. |northjersey.com

We don't know if the Teacher in this case asked the student to leave the class, but I can tell you that is not always a solution. My daughter is a High School Teacher. She was assaulted very much like this by a student. The student brought lunch into class - spread out all over her desk, was talking on her cell phone and was disrupting the class. She was asked to put it all away and refused ala- "you can't make me". She was asked to leave class and go to the office - she got up, went up to the Teacher and tried to strangle her. Ripped her blouse down the front and struck her/kicked her, broke her glasses. A teacher can't respond to that except to try and protect her/him self - hitting or even touching the student is not allowed and can be grounds for dismissal. Not so easy when a student has her hands around your throat and you are choking. In this case -- the class jumped immediately to help the teacher -- who is a very popular Teacher with students. Several of them tried to pull the student off and one went for Security. Several hearings, and a court case later (the school insisted the teacher press charges) - the Judge asked the Teacher for a statement before sentencing, the student continued to say she didn't regret the assault and given the chance - would do it again.

Teacher recommended Mandated Counseling for the Student and her entire Family. Turns out they were all scared of her and could not handle her. She was expelled from School and put into an Alternative School that is much like a Detention Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies