Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

So as grade school children we use to walk a mile to school everyday in a group. I didn't realize that since no school buses existed it was racism that caused that Boo HOO for me. Must be a lot of racist of all races. that pass him daily and some who work with him that could give him a ride also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Pretty sure you can keep and maintain a 2015 car on 10.50 an hour, thats about 1300 dollars a month after taxes. Also, they raised over 200,000 dollars for the car. Im pretty sure they gave him some of it.
Obviously you are not aware of the cost of car insurance in the city of Detroit.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So as grade school children we use to walk a mile to school everyday in a group. I didn't realize that since no school buses existed it was racism that caused that Boo HOO for me. Must be a lot of racist of all races. that pass him daily and some who work with him that could give him a ride also.
I am at an utter loss to figure out how in the hell you have all those rep credentials with such pisz poor reasoning. Must come from others with pisz poor reasoning I guess.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-05-2015 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Pretty sure people here still aren't getting it. For $10.50 an hour, no, he cannot "maintain" a new 2015 vehicle. Get a grip on reality, people. Buying a used car presents him with the same situation he had with his old car, (which, by the way, is why he isn't driving, not because he had a DUI...where do you people pull this stuff from? You just make it up as you go along?), in that it may get him some place for a minute, but when it comes time to get it fixed for something that broke, you all are not hearing this:

When you are poor, there is NO room for error. None. You think, "oh big deal, it's a $200 repair bill". You all don't get it if you think that's "no big deal" to a poor person.

A bike would just get stolen. I'm getting the impression that many of you didn't even bother to read the article. He's going to ride that bike through 8 mile? You think that bike wouldn't get stolen immediately?

Rides...apparently he lives in the opposite direction of his co-workers. This one person would see him, all the time, and started to offer him rides periodically. In the article itself, which clearly many did not read, the guy worked a 2pm to 10pm shift. He would get home at 4am...and yes, there were some buses that did not run at that time of night, so he walked. So, he gets home at 4am, and he has to be up and ready to begin his commute again in a few hours to make it to work by 2pm. When, exactly, is he going to have all of this time to go car shopping? Or house shopping? He's living with his girlfriend who inherited the house they live in. That doesn't mean that they don't have property tax to pay for, maintenance on the house to pay for, he needs to buy food, he needs to pay for heat/electricity, I'm pretty sure he's going through some shoes faster than most if he's been doing all that walking for a decade.

Move closer to work...do you even realize where he works? How the hell is he going to afford that? So now you all want him to add first, last, deposit and a rental payment on top of what he already has to pay? And you all think that's "smart".

It's very clear that many of you have zero idea what it's like to be poor. You think $10.50 an hour is not poor...maybe not in some areas, but in many areas, it is. No, I do not propose that we raise the minimum wage, or have the government give him a bunch of stuff. What has happened, people donating money, is how it should be. They are giving of their own free will because they have compassion...something that is SORELY lacking on this forum. Thank God everybody isn't as jaded and bitter as some of you.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
When you are poor, there is NO room for error. None. You think, "oh big deal, it's a $200 repair bill". You all don't get it if you think that's "no big deal" to a poor person.
Exactly. Many people don't get it and its why they lack empathy for poorer ppl. They think, oh no excuses, just think of something quick so I won't have to feel sorry for ya.

Molly Ivan's once brilliantly pointed out that poor people can't make mistakes and get back like upper middle class folks can. Its a lot harder for them to have second chances. They also pay more for stuff relative to their wages.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
You people crying about 10 dollars an hour need to remember that this is a single guy we are talking about, and living in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the country. I have lived comfortably on less. Could I go back to that after having gotten used to more? Of course not, but that is how money works, after covering the basics (which are not much for a single guy) it's all relative.

Also, the publicity is sure to land this guy a new job. Good for him, his work ethic has payed off.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Obviously you are not aware of the cost of car insurance in the city of Detroit.
No-fault is expensive.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I the end society solved his [problem all without the massive cost and delays of a government program. Man looking out for his fellow man without expecting government to do so like his parent.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Maybe he can save a bunch by switching to GEICO?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Pretty sure people here still aren't getting it. For $10.50 an hour, no, he cannot "maintain" a new 2015 vehicle. Get a grip on reality, people. Buying a used car presents him with the same situation he had with his old car, (which, by the way, is why he isn't driving, not because he had a DUI...where do you people pull this stuff from? You just make it up as you go along?), in that it may get him some place for a minute, but when it comes time to get it fixed for something that broke, you all are not hearing this:

A bike would just get stolen. I'm getting the impression that many of you didn't even bother to read the article. He's going to ride that bike through 8 mile? You think that bike wouldn't get stolen immediately?

Rides...apparently he lives in the opposite direction of his co-workers. This one person would see him, all the time, and started to offer him rides periodically. In the article itself, which clearly many did not read, the guy worked a 2pm to 10pm shift. He would get home at 4am...and yes, there were some buses that did not run at that time of night, so he walked. So, he gets home at 4am, and he has to be up and ready to begin his commute again in a few hours to make it to work by 2pm. When, exactly, is he going to have all of this time to go car shopping? Or house shopping? He's living with his girlfriend who inherited the house they live in. That doesn't mean that they don't have property tax to pay for, maintenance on the house to pay for, he needs to buy food, he needs to pay for heat/electricity, I'm pretty sure he's going through some shoes faster than most if he's been doing all that walking for a decade.

Move closer to work...do you even realize where he works? How the hell is he going to afford that? So now you all want him to add first, last, deposit and a rental payment on top of what he already has to pay? And you all think that's "smart".

It's very clear that many of you have zero idea what it's like to be poor. You think $10.50 an hour is not poor...maybe not in some areas, but in many areas, it is. No, I do not propose that we raise the minimum wage, or have the government give him a bunch of stuff. What has happened, people donating money, is how it should be. They are giving of their own free will because they have compassion...something that is SORELY lacking on this forum. Thank God everybody isn't as jaded and bitter as some of you.

He's very fortunate to NOT have to pay rent. The cost difference between renting and owning is greater in Detroit than anywhere else in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies