Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OP, I can understand why you are livid. Given your past posts, the thought of someone actually showing amazing determination and showing up for work every day in spite of having to walk makes you appreciate just how lazy and useless the vast majority on welfare actually are. All the young, able bodied people, particularly those who's only accomplishment has been to spread their legs and get knocked up, then latch onto welfare for decades have no excuse when this middle aged guy makes this effort.

I wish him the best.
Agreed!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Again, the philosophical question at hand "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make any sound"?

"If people are not in the forest of race and class, does it make any sound"? That is the problem. The right assumes that there are little sounds of hard work, sacrifice, personal responsibility and the like coming from the race/class forest, lest, they would not continue to be trapped in the forest.

It's the assumptions one makes when they are not in the forest to see for themselves.....that shows what type of person they are.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No, I did not. But, the point of his perseverance is what counts. Not how others choose to view it, or try to paint it, for cheap political posturing. This man is a winner in human spirit terms.
Small moral comfort.

You conservatives are missing the bigger picture:

What did his backbreaking hard work get him? He is walking 21 miles per day for less than $11 per hour. He's been doing this for years. Where did all that hard work go to?!?! Where?!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Under Republican rule, that is definitely reward enough. Once he becomes injured, or sick.. he will just be thrown down the worker hole.
I'm sorry but I have a hard time paying attention to anyone stupid enough to use terms like "Under Republican Rule" in a thread about a guy in Detroit. "Republican Rule" had nothing to do with Detroit's problems, that's just a fact you don't like.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Small moral comfort.

You conservatives are missing the bigger picture:

What did his backbreaking hard work get him? He is walking 21 miles per day for less than $11 per hour. He's been doing this for years. Where did all that hard work go to?!?! Where?!
What did democrat voting get him and other people in Detroit?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The last two sentences contradict the bolded.

And aside from the fact that he was fortunate enough to be made recognized/funded by good samaritans, look where a decade of backbreaking hard work and discipline got him? Pretty much nowhere. And after all his commitment and loyalty to the job, once he is physically injured or simply used up, you can bet that his employer won't hesitate to dump him like a broken toy.
It is all about choices. He chose to stay at a dead end job all these years. He chose to do commute an insanely high distance (if true) for someone without a vehicle.
Growing up my dad always told me, "work smart, not hard" and that is one thing this guy did not do.

Digging a basement with a shovel is certainly going to be hard work but would it be much smarter to use a back hoe ?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It is all about choices. He chose to stay at a dead end job all these years. He chose to do commute an insanely high distance (if true) for someone without a vehicle.
Growing up my dad always told me, "work smart, not hard" and that is one thing this guy did not do.

Digging a basement with a shovel is certainly going to be hard work but would it be much smarter to use a back hoe ?
Unemployment in Metro Detroit probably peaked at near depression levels in 2008. He had his job for 10 years, meaning he started circa 2005. He likely made sure to hold onto that job (through the hard times), by any means necessary, in an extremely bad economy where there were not and are not that many opportunities.....and at 56....who is going to hire him for an upwardly mobile position that pays well and are willing to invest in his training today? Yet....you talk about choices as if they were omnipresent.

You people are extremely poor at understanding and putting things in CONTEXT. When YOU do not understand something, or know all the facts, you just assume others are STUPID....and don't question your own ignorance and prejudice. Then when people put the proper label on you for your demonstrated ignorance......you cry foul.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-04-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 11:22 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
'you people'?

I thought that was a forbidden phrase.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
At 3mph it's a 7 hour walk each way. Something ain't exactly right.
Gee, you figure?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Detroit is probably the cheapest city in the US in terms of housing. But the local job market is a ghost town.

If he's from there, it's not so easy to get out, especially when the best you can earn is $10/hr. Success and living standards in the US are very much dependent on the circumstances you were fortunate (or not) to be born into. There are exceptions, but you hear about them because they're exceptions, not the rule.

That said, if I were him, given his publicity, I'd apply for more high paying jobs in better areas, with relocation assistance. Many employers would probably jump to hire a guy like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies