Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 PM

963 posts, read 689,763 times

Advertisements

You gotta love the naivety of the lib mind. Gotta admit, I smiled when his views got a dose of the real world

http://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/hk...oM2_ccf_Ad.jpg

Quote:
French street artist Combo was physically assaulted over his latest art work. Photo: Combo Culture Kidnapper/Facebook

It was very offensive and local Muslims demanded he take it down.

Four Muslims in Porte Dorée (the Golden door), a ghetto east of Paris, beat artist Combo after he refused to take down his Coexist street art. Combo suffered a dislocated shoulder, bruises and a black eye.
Artnet reported, via Jihad Watch

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Well, I say good for him for making an effort, and for not backing down. A "dose of the real world" just means that some idiot thugs beat him up and used religious differences as an excuse for violence. In reality there is no reason that these religions can't coexist. On any given day there are millions of instances of people of radically different belief systems coexisting without violence. These millions of instances do not make the news, of course. In general, only the instances of violence will make the news. But the millions of instances of peaceful coexistence are no less real, just because there are instances of violence as well.

Football (aka, soccer) fans in Europe often erupt into violence at games. Does this mean that people of different European countries can't coexist? No. It just means that a foolish tradition of violence has taken hold, and it might be hard to get rid of. Various traditions of violence between people of different religions and cultures are historically much older, and thus more entrenched in some people's minds, and thus very hard to change, but there is hard empirical evidence of the possibility of peaceful coexistence inherent in every act of kindness between people of different religions. Every warm smile, every peaceful exchange of cash at a grocery store, and every hug between families at an interfaith wedding proves that hatred is not the only option.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-10-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM

549 posts, read 457,085 times
America gets weekly doses of the real world, but its liberal minds remain in denial.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
You can't coexist with a 7th century cult that wants to dominate the world. Sad this happened to him, but maybe now the libs will see the truth.

I know, wishful thinking.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM

963 posts, read 689,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You can't coexist with a 7th century cult that wants to dominate the world. Sad this happened to him, but maybe now the libs will see the truth.

I know, wishful thinking.
When does a lib become a conservative?

After he's been mugged! (sometimes by his own government!)

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Seems France has a real contingent who hates freedom of speech, to the point of violence. Sad.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Typical leftist Eloi.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
America gets weekly doses of the real world, but its liberal minds remain in denial.
This seems to be a theme in the several responses to the OP so far. I'd like to know more about this.

I have 3 questions:

Is this a fair representation of conservatives, in general? Are there are any conservatives reading this thread who want to offer a different conservative perspective?

What exactly are the liberal minds in denial about?

What is the proper reaction to an event like this? What is your solution to violence of this sort?

I also want to offer a bit more of my own perspective: As I see it, the primary actual cause of violence is virtually never religious or cultural differences, per se. These differences can act as excuses for violence, and they can, in some cases, "fan the flames", so to speak, but I would argue that in many instances of violence, the primary underlying cause is violence. Someone who is a victim of violence often has a tendency to become violent. Other primary causes of violence are greed and/or dehumanizing stereotypes. Most Americans who owned slaves were not violent toward blacks out of vengeance - in most cases, the blacks who they enslaved had never done anything that required retaliation. Women weren't burned at the stake during the years of the Inquisition because they committed violence; they were burned because they were dehumanized and thought to be "sleeping with the devil" etc.

To make a long story somewhat shorter: I don't think the best response to violence is to commit more violence, nor is it a good idea to reinforce stereotypes, nor does it help to dehumanize a category of people, nor is it useful to wail and moan about the hopelessness of ever trying to get along with "those people." Pessimism ensures failure. Optimism certainly can sometimes amount to false hope, but at least it is not a guarantee of defeat right off the bat.

I think the only rational response to violence is to do our best to stop future instances of violence by trying to find a non-violent response - a response that does not involve perpetuating hatred and dehumanizing stereotypes. Is this just me being a wishy-washy liberal? I'd be happy to hear some better ideas, if anyone is willing to offer them.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-10-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
The rest of us try.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Good ole American Christian values. Showing their support for a guy who had a message of peace by spreading words of hatred.

Some things truly never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies