Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 12:58 PM

920 posts, read 636,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because the equal protection argument was felt to be stronger.

Since those laws are based on religious concepts they do violate separation of church and state.

An argument here:

http://www.law.msu.edu/king/2007/Hobson.pdf

There is no "separation of church and state" in the Constitution, so how can there be a violation? Is that near the "Good and Welfare clause"?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,247,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Makes sense that it would be a UCC church, the same denomination of that great orator and Obama mentor, Rev. G.D. Wright.
You may want to check your facts.

UUC - Unitarian Universalist Congregation

Rev Wright was from TUCC - Trinity United Church of Christ.

Not the same thing.

EDIT.
I apologize lorinwa, I misread the church title. You are correct.

Last edited by jjrose; 04-06-2015 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Apology.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM

37,209 posts, read 41,406,761 times
Quote:
The current definition of marriage comes from the government, based on societal norms. NOT religion. Seeking to redefine marriage for special treatment (meaning you want marriage to include a relationship based on your (and a small minority of people's) relationship is not seeking equality under the law, it is seeking deference to a group based solely on "who they luv" and not because a gay individual has been denied the ability to marry like any other American citizen. It is about the relationship and not the individual.
Your opinion is not shared by everyone. The opposition to same sex marriage is religion based.

Quote:
Makes sense that it would be a UCC church, the same denomination of that great orator and Obama mentor, Rev. G.D. Wright.
Perhaps you might want to read about the history of the UCC.

United Church of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
There is no "separation of church and state" in the in the Constitution, so how can there be a violation? Is that near the "Good and Welfare clause"?
I think you will find that the concept is well defined and accepted as referring to the First Amendment. Your wish that it did not exist will not make it go away.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You may want to check your facts.

UUC - Unitarian Universalist Congregation

Rev Wright was from TUCC - Trinity United Church of Christ.

Not the same thing.
The church in the North Carolina case was the United Church of Christ, not the Unitarian.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,247,334 times
Quote:
The church in the North Carolina case was the United Church of Christ, not the Unitarian.
Thanks, I mis-read that. You are correct.

I apologize to the poster I came down on for not fact checking.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Your opinion is not shared by everyone. The opposition to same sex marriage is religion based.

Perhaps you might want to read about the history of the UCC.

United Church of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you will find that the concept is well defined and accepted as referring to the First Amendment. Your wish that it did not exist will not make it go away.

There are atheists and gays that oppose redefining marriage. How does that fit into your preconceived ideology?

The "concept" may be "defined and accepted" but that doesn't make it constitutional. Try reading the 1st Amendment and show me where "separation of church and state" is stated or defined.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Trinity United Church of Christ is the largest church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.

Trinity United Church of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where did you get Unitarian? Because I transposed the letters?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM

506 posts, read 427,981 times
Quote:
Trinity United Church of Christ is the largest church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.

No, Trinity United Church of Christ is not related to the United Trinity Church of Christ, but it is affiliated with the Trinity of Christ United Church, in fact one of the founding members is the brother to the guy who heads up the United Trinity Church of Christ and the Unitarian Trinity Church of Christ, but it is surprising that these groups are not related, but I can certainly understand the confusion.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,525,170 times
Quote:
Actually, I did read it. All 32 pages, including the footnotes. I do not post links I have not read.

You might find this interesting:

UCC victorious in lawsuit as judge strikes down N.C. gay marriage ban - United Church of Christ

""We are thrilled by this clear victory for both religious freedom and marriage equality in the state of North Carolina,' said the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, a UCC [United Church of Christ] national officer. "In lifting North Carolina's ban on same-gender marriage, the court's directive makes it plain that the First Amendment arguments, made by the UCC and our fellow plaintiffs, were both persuasive and spot-on. Any law that threatens clergy who choose to solemnize a union of same-sex couples, and threatens them with civil or criminal penalties, is unconstitutional."

The suit, filed in April by the UCC and a coalition of clergy, same-sex couples and religious denominations, claiming that the state's marriage laws violate the First Amendment rights of clergy and the principle of "free exercise of religion."
There are two aspects of that case. The part dealing with the 1st Amendment dealt with the law forbidding UCC clergy from performing ssm.

The part invalidating the ban itself wasn't because it violated the 1st Amendment.

You seem to want the ban and opposition to ssm to be religion-based.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
There are atheists and gays that oppose redefining marriage. How does that fit into your preconceived ideology?

The "concept" may be "defined and accepted" but that doesn't make it constitutional. Try reading the 1st Amendment and show me where "separation of church and state" is stated or defined.
Perhaps you will listen to Mr. Jefferson

Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists (June 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties."

~ Thomas Jefferson, Letter to the Danbury Baptists

Quote:

I was not the one who said it was Unitarian. I corrected the poster who did, who has now acknowledged the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There are two aspects of that case. The part dealing with the 1st Amendment dealt with the law forbidding UCC clergy from performing ssm.

The part invalidating the ban itself wasn't because it violated the 1st Amendment.

You seem to want the ban and opposition to ssm to be religion-based.
The North Carolina ban was overturned based on due process and equal opportunity under the Fourteenth Amendment, however the plaintiffs brought action under the First Amendment, too.

The opposition to same sex marriage is religion based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies