Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
When you don't have a right to chose who you do business with, it's slavery.
You don't have a right to discriminate in a public business setting. You can't turn away a little old lady because she's old, you can't turn away someone who's black because they aren't white etc etc.

If you don't like the law, then change it or get out of that business. Religion doesn't trump law.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
What a dumb business owner. A dollar bill will spend the same regardless of who give it. Her job is to provide service to a customer.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
BS read the 1st Amendment. She opened her store 43 years ago. Before the gay coalition started their war on the Constitution.
gay folks are no different than you and I. They are biologically the same as you and I who just happen to prefer Sexes of their own. All they want is the same benefits of marriage and all that comes with it that straight folks get from it.

Since when is marriage a straight thing? Some of our greatest inventors, philosophers, scientists happen to be gay. Does that discredit their work?

and this war on the constitution is crap. Our founding fathers never wanted our state to be ran along with a church. They saw the bad from England and wrote it you know, separation of church and state (ok its not written exactly as that, but its written to imply the separation of church and state)

and let's not forget our Amendments have been ratified and amended multiple times, so I am sure we can edit it. Have you read some of your own state laws? you cant have sex with cows, type of laws. Do those laws apply to us now? even though I wouldn't do that, I realize its an antiquated law that doesn't need to be written to tell me that's not right. so old laws need to be rewritten or removed.

then again I find it that some of the worst people eventually turn to religion just to preach hate whilst hiding behind a book. quack like a duck, walk like a duck odds are you are a duck)looking at you, westboro Baptist church)

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She deserves what she gets. You willfully break the law, you pay the consequences.
Which law did she break? Please provide specifics.

Are those signs that read "no shoes, no shirt, no service" legal?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Which law did she break? Please provide specifics.
Revised Code of Washington 49.60.030, Section 1, subsection f:
Quote:
(1) The right to be free from discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability is recognized as and declared to be a civil right. This right shall include, but not be limited to:

--------------

(b) The right to the full enjoyment of any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of any place of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, or amusement;

--------------
RCW 49.60.030: Freedom from discrimination

A business serving the general public is defined by law as a public accommodation.
Discrimination in Public Accommodations - FindLaw

Is this specific enough for you?

Quote:
Are those signs that read "no shoes, no shirt, no service" legal?
Yes. There are no laws defining "people who aren't wearing a shirt" or "barefoot people" as protected classes.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Interesting we have conscientious objector status for those who have their private lives dictated to by the State but not for people transacting business within the State.

Both based refusal of service on the grounds of freedom of thought, conscience, and/or religion.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Apparently his money was fine as long as he and his partner were living in sin.
Unless he and his partner have stopped committing sodomy, they are still living in sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes, she discriminated. Yes, she is wrong.

What if she posted a sign stating she does not want Blacks or Jews or Muslins, would that be okay?
I feel sorry for people who are black and constantly find their race entangled in a discussion about homosexuality. I have met a lot of people and never has one told me that they thought being black was a sin. And being of another religion is not considered a sin either.

Quote:
Oh, I get it. You are gay but repressing it. The vulgar description of sex acts gives you away.
There is no other way to describe the acts and most people aren't even aware of what those acts encompass.

Quote:
Here is the link to Washington's Law Against Discrimination, RCW 49.60. Read it for yourselves.

Chapter 49.60 RCW: DISCRIMINATION
And, you might want to add this link for clarification purposes and also that federal trumps state: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...irst_amendment

It is obvious that many posting are not versed on the Bible, but seriously, don't they still teach American Government in high school, isn't it required?

Again, marriage will not take away the sin of sodomy for homosexuals or heterosexuals.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
No one's rights were taken away. Where is it written that citizens have a" right" to wedding flowers?
Wrong.
These customers have a right to the same services that were provided to any other customer.

If this florist doesn't want to sell wedding flowers, she shouldn't offer wedding flowers for sale.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What I found interesting is that when you read the article the one gay guy was a longtime customer, so his money was good enough at some point.

Also found it interesting that it was in the PNW, but than it stated the owner was originally from the south and a Baptist.

Hands down, there about as hateful a group you can find, they have no tolerance for even other religions such as Catholics, never mind gay people.
WOW!!!!! Stereotyping much? You seriously think ALL Southern Baptists are hateful and not tolerant of other religions or even gay people? You apparently do not know very many Southern Baptists do you?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Try reading Leviticus, it clearly states the sexual act of homosexuality is the sin not a person with same sex attraction.

I would be equally supportive of her if she declined to provide flowers to a baby naming ceremony where the parents were hetero and just living together because her faith informs that fornication is a sin.
And so is getting tattoos and eating shellfish and wearing mixed blends of fabric.

Shall we also talk about stoning adulterers and the rest?

I am willing to bet any amount of money that this woman never turned away business from unwed parents or couples where one/both had been divorced and remarried or from heterosexual couples just living together or from people with tattoos...

Selective outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies