Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:06 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,977,147 times

Advertisements

Why would conservatives have to "compromise" on the rights of others? ( or anybody else for that matter)?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,304 times
instead of creating new laws and "rights" for sub classes of people, maybe we should just enfore existing laws!

All these new laws do nothing but divide people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals. The reason is this: younger voters overwhelmingly support full equal rights and protections for LGBT persons, including marriage, employment, and housing. Even a majority (61%) of Republicans aged 18-29 favor legal same-sex marriage.

The writing seems to be on the wall: eventually, same-sex marriage will be nationally legal. The longer Republicans wait to embrace this inevitability, the more difficult it will be for them in the long-run. If they support LGBT rights sooner rather than later they might have some chance of getting at least some younger voter support. But if they continue their obstinate resistance it only makes them seem antiquated and out of touch with younger voters.

So what's your perspective conservatives? Are you at least willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for LGBT persons or not?

Young Republicans favor same-sex marriage | Pew Research Center

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,784,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They already have the same rights as everyone else.
No matter how many times you say that stupid line, it never becomes true.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
instead of creating new laws and "rights" for sub classes of people, maybe we should just enfore existing laws!

All these new laws do nothing but divide people.
What specific laws are you talking about?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Quote:
That is precisely what marriage equality does, incidentally, as well adding minority gender identities and minority sexual orientations to the lists of protected classes protected by existing anti-discrimination laws.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:13 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,304 times
hate crime laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What specific laws are you talking about?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
Quote:
hate crime laws.
Then you're sorely confused - hate crime laws don't create new "rights" for sub classes of people. They don't do anything remotely close to that.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Federal hate crime law goes back to 1969 - were you even born then FKD? Regardless, all that's happened since then, as far as I know, is expanding who's covered by the law. No new laws. No new rights. Just broadening the scope of the law to cover all the hate the law didn't cover originally. If people stop hating, then that'll put a cap on it, so that's the right way of handling this: stopping the hate.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:26 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,614 times
Quote:
I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals. The reason is this: younger voters overwhelmingly support full equal rights and protections for LGBT persons, including marriage, employment, and housing. Even a majority (61%) of Republicans aged 18-29 favor legal same-sex marriage.

The writing seems to be on the wall: eventually, same-sex marriage will be nationally legal. The longer Republicans wait to embrace this inevitability, the more difficult it will be for them in the long-run. If they support LGBT rights sooner rather than later they might have some chance of getting at least some younger voter support. But if they continue their obstinate resistance it only makes them seem antiquated and out of touch with younger voters.

So what's your perspective conservatives? Are you at least willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for LGBT persons or not?

It might surprise you to know that most moderates on the right don't care when this happens as evidenced by the landslide of approvals. The only ones jumping up and down are you. Most of us are expecting this over time. We may not personally approve but, most of us don't want to discriminate. We have bigger fish to fry. Namely your wanton disregard for social costs however well intended.

You spend, we save. In general, that's about it. Whether or not "Steve" and "Kevin" can dance together isn't nearly as exciting as you make it out to be. Some of you I think are gloating and I can't really imagine why. All we ask is that you don't INSIST on parades about it and I promise you, we won't insist on heterosexual parades either. Come to think of it, we never have.

As for the morality of it, it's up to God to judge and not us. In as much as you want the rights of those in the LBGT yaba daba doo group to enjoy theirs, I would think you would EQUALLY want us to enjoy, ours? Or is that too conservative.

The Democrat Party. The party of inclusion until you disagree. And that my friend, is hypocrisy. While not all lost on the Democrats, it is found within this segment. Equal rights? You bet. Thousands died for them. Special Rights? Uh....nope. Those in this group are no different than the rest and if finally treated as such, any and all special set asides or lawsuit enticements should cease, shouldn't they?

But, those "special classifications" will survive as much as affirmative action. Enter the hypocrisy. I do not have a dog in this race. To the best of my knowledge, none of my friends are in that group and if they are/were, I would treat them as well today as I did "then". Makes no difference. I think most of us are just tired of the marching bands and constant horn blowing (When available) they broadcast to everyone. I think we all get it. I think we will all survive it. Now, can we dial the noise down a bit?

I know you may not like this but, it's a bit anti-climatic at this point. No one really, really cares that much. Much like no one really, really cares that much about Iran, Isis, or whatever or we would be DOING something about it.

Nuff' said.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,100,791 times
Quote:

I'm a conservative who favors LGBT marriage rights, as many conservatives do.

I agree that they should have the right to marry, not out of any great desire for "social justice" as Liberals define it, but because the Libertarian side of me knows that the government should not have the power to regulate marriage between consenting adults at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies