Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,307,201 times

Advertisements

I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals. The reason is this: younger voters overwhelmingly support full equal rights and protections for LGBT persons, including marriage, employment, and housing. Even a majority (61%) of Republicans aged 18-29 favor legal same-sex marriage.

The writing seems to be on the wall: eventually, same-sex marriage will be nationally legal. The longer Republicans wait to embrace this inevitability, the more difficult it will be for them in the long-run. If they support LGBT rights sooner rather than later they might have some chance of getting at least some younger voter support. But if they continue their obstinate resistance it only makes them seem antiquated and out of touch with younger voters.

So what's your perspective conservatives? Are you at least willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for LGBT persons or not?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-sex-marriage/

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I'm really curious as to how willing conservatives are to compromise on rights and protections for LGBT individuals. The reason is this: younger voters overwhelmingly support full equal rights and protections for LGBT persons, including marriage, employment, and housing. Even a majority (61%) of Republicans aged 18-29 favor legal same-sex marriage.

The writing seems to be on the wall: eventually, same-sex marriage will be nationally legal. The longer Republicans wait to embrace this inevitability, the more difficult it will be for them in the long-run. If they support LGBT rights sooner rather than later they might have some chance of getting at least some younger voter support. But if they continue their obstinate resistance it only makes them seem antiquated and out of touch with younger voters.

So what's your perspective conservatives? Are you at least willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for LGBT persons or not?

Young Republicans favor same-sex marriage | Pew Research Center
Young people do not vote as much as old people and for what ever bizarre reason old conservatives care about this. I would imagine there are several conservative politicians who'd roll over on it if it would not cost them a primary.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,963,771 times
Younger conservatives, assuming they are only fiscally conservative should vote libertarian until the social conservative trolls in the GOP wither and die and then the backward gay bashing, anti abortion, drug warrior agenda will be a thing of the past.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
There will be no need on compromise on marriage in a few months. The courts are going to rule for gay marriage. They have little choice. Its silly to compromise on something you won't have to.

As long as its not being paid with money from the government (HUD etc). The government has no business telling people who they can and can't rent to.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Younger conservatives, assuming they are only fiscally conservative should vote libertarian until the social conservative trolls in the GOP wither and die and then the backward gay bashing, anti abortion, drug warrior agenda will be a thing of the past.
Being anti-abortion is about being against murder, not being against women's rights. It has nothing to do with being socially conservative. I support full protection for gay people, support the rights of transgender people to identify as whichever sex their brain chemistry makes them feel like and to have surgery to alter their physical body to match their identities, support the legalization of drugs, and support abortion to save the life of the mother.

But I absolutely and categorically oppose elective abortion. The fetus has its own DNA that is separate from the mother. It is a developing unique human being and I do not support someone's right to kill it because she finds its conception inconvenient for her lifestyle. She can have the baby, give it up for adoption, and go on with her life. Nor do I support the state's right to kill criminals who can be safely and securely contained in prison with no danger to the population. I do not believe in the unnecessary termination of human life.

So don't lump me in as a gay basher just because I don't fit your preconceived idea of what a socially enlightened person is supposed to believe.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Probably true, but as a whole, at least publicly, Republicans still seem highly resistant. For the most part I think the issue has been settled, but how long before most Republicans accept this?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post

Young Republicans favor same-sex marriage | Pew Research Center
I'm willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for men and for women. How they choose to apply those protections and rights to themselves is not my concern. Just to help you out with that, I don't support the concept of 'marriage'. I do support 'civil unions' sworn by a magistrate, for any two consenting adults. Call it a marriage if you like. If you require a circus to make it public that's okay too, just don't expect me to appreciate it. Get your own permits.

What else do you want? Equal pay? Talk to Hillary...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times
Isn't the issue pretty much dead? It's like just 13 states still have bans on gay marriage. The first state to legalize was Massachusetts in 2004. So, 40 states in 10 years. By 2020, I would suspect every state would have legalized it, or almost all. Maybe a few souther hold outs, but they won't last another decade.

So no compromise is needed. They fought it and lost. They no longer have anything to offer on the issue, so they'll just have to accept their defeat.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
I'm willing to consider full and equal rights and protections for men and for women. How they choose to apply those protections and rights to themselves is not my concern. Just to help you out with that, I don't support the concept of 'marriage'. I do support 'civil unions' sworn by a magistrate, for any two consenting adults. Call it a marriage if you like. If you require a circus to make it public that's okay too, just don't expect me to appreciate it. Get your own permits.

What else do you want? Equal pay? Talk to Hillary...
And I would expect like rights and protections for a company's good and services which choose NOT to participate.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
And I would expect like rights and protections for a company's good and services which choose NOT to participate.
WTF are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies