Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Meaning exactly what it says. It isn't a personal preference item. Neither is sending in your 1040 (or extension) by April 15 or showing up for induction when you're drafted. You have debts and obligations to others. Meet them instead of trying to weasel out from under them...
So, you are suggesting that I have an obligation to pay for your retirement?

That I have a "debt" to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
If you want to do away with anything it should be a total elimination of any social welfare programs at all and that money be put into taking care of our elderly who earned the right to be taken care of.
Please, understand - I'm not suggesting that our older generation should not be cared for but, are you suggesting that society, as a whole, should be OBLIGATED to the elderly because they "earned" a right to be taken care of?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,665,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Please, understand - I'm not suggesting that our older generation should not be cared for but, are you suggesting that society, as a whole, should be OBLIGATED to the elderly because they "earned" a right to be taken care of?
Not at all, they paid into the system and because we are mis spending the money and the no work crowd that does not pay into the system the same as they did, they should suffer.
IF the money was used correctly and invested correctly all those years there would be a huge surplus.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But hey. Only right-wingers have IRAs, right? And no way the common folk should access to a federally-supported replica, right? Talk about disinformation....
One tires of your pretensions.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,307 times
Quote:
One tires of your pretensions.
Many tire of your inability to actually refute arguments and your proclivity for posting only insults and personal attacks.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So, you are suggesting that I have an obligation to pay for your retirement? That I have a "debt" to you?
You share in social obligations as the result of your membership in society. Society has provided you with more than you are apt ever to be able to repay, but you are expected to make the effort. On behalf of those who came before you, and on behalf of those who will come after. It's the least one can do, but apparently to some, the least seems a bit too much...

Last edited by saganista; 01-13-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,307 times
Quote:
You share in social obligations as the result of your membership in society. Society has provided you with more than you are apt ever to be able to repay, but you are expected to make the effort. On behalf of those who came before you, and on behalf of those who will come after. It's the least one can do, but apparently to some, the least seems too much...
Actually, our "society" as a whole owes a great debt to the people that enable the society to function, rather than the other way around. This is especially true of those members of society that do not contribute at all, yet reap enormous benefits....and no, I'm not talking about the evil rich.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
IF the money was used correctly and invested correctly all those years there would be a huge surplus.
There IS a huge surplus...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You share in social obligations as the result of your membership in society. Society has provided you with more than you are apt ever to be able to repay, but you are expected to make the effort. On behalf of those who came before you, and on behalf of those who will come after. It's the least one can do, but apparently to some, the least seems too much...
Well, I'm sorry you are into the "it takes a village" concept

I'm also very glad that I am not having to contribute to your social security. On the same token, you are not contributing to mine.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
There IS a huge surplus...
No, there is not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies