Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is all them justices know how they are going to vote before they ask any questions. Give Thomas credit for not participating in the dog and pony show.
Lol...seriously? So his stunning lack of judicial loquacity is his way of "keeping it real?"

Man, I've heard some good ones in my life, and yours ranks right up near the top.

Sure, I'll give him some credit for sitting there like a bump on a log for damn near his whole tenure. Most people can't get away with that at their jobs and be credited for staying quiet in the interest of bucking the dog and pony show. We actually have to ask questions and communicate with our customers and colleagues.

Go figure.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's stupid to compare what he went through the horror and tragedy of lynching. Thomas, a native Georgian should know better.
Considering the left's saying that Republicans want children with downs syndrome to fend for themselves, that the Tea Party wants to hang people from trees, that wanting a co-pay on birth control is a war on women, that removing section 5 of the voting rights act after 50 years and 13,000 investigations produced not a single violation of it "gutting voting rights", that Sarah Palin having a crosshair on swing states was "inciting political violence", that the 10th amendment is the "slavery amendment", that wanting voter ID means you want to bring back Jim Crow, etc do you really think that anybody is going to take what you just said seriously? You're like a serial killer calling a jay walker a criminal.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...seriously? So his stunning lack of judicial loquacity is his way of "keeping it real?"

Man, I've heard some good ones in my life, and yours ranks right up near the top.

Sure, I'll give him some credit for sitting there like a bump on a log for damn near his whole tenure. Most people can't get away with that at their jobs and be credited for staying quiet in the interest of bucking the dog and pony show. We actually have to ask questions and commiserate with our customers and colleagues.

Go figure.
The fact is on any issue with a strong conservative/liberal divide you know how 7 votes are going to go. It is possible Kennedy and Roberts actually come into a case with an open mind.

A dog and pony show describes our Supreme Court quite well.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Almost succeeded? They DID succeed in tainting Thomas. He knows it. You know it. I know it. His wife obviously knows it, which is why she sent that letter to Anita Hill a few years back.

The "high tech lynching" nonsense is just that...bunk. I don't know if the allegations by Hill are true, but it's his word against her's, and Clarence Thomas to my knowledge hasn't proved himself to be any more truthful than Anita Hill is. It's a fifty/fifty proposition that it's true or false.

Moreover, Anita Hill had no reason to lie on old dude. But he had every reason to deny her charges.

As for the rest of your post featuring all that "think for himself/plantation" silly ass conservative trite racist rhetoric...whuteva!
Stop cheating on your taxes.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
LMAO...there's no shortage of blacks seeking public office.

Like, there's too many. I wish far less were interested in it.

But thanks for the faux concern over us black folk and our non desire to run for public office.
Toobin has routinely wrote hit pieces on Thomas because he doesn't toe the line that Toobin and his upper crust readers believes blacks should toe.

If that is a belief you want to defend, have at it.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is on any issue with a strong conservative/liberal divide you know how 7 votes are going to go. It is possible Kennedy and Roberts actually come into a case with an open mind.

A dog and pony show describes our Supreme Court quite well.
If you say so. I won't argue with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Stop cheating on your taxes.
No.
Quote:
Toobin has routinely wrote hit pieces on Thomas because he doesn't toe the line that Toobin and his upper crust readers believes blacks should toe.

If that is a belief you want to defend, have at it.
That's horse dung.

Toobin excoriates Thomas because Thomas sits there like a wart on a knuckle and seems totally disengaged.

Moreover, while Scalia AT LEAST pays deference to precedent...even bad precedent, Thomas basically eviscerates it. Now that's good and bad in a black justice...But since he doesn't open his mouth, you can't figure out why.

Just because Toobin crushes Thomas doesn't mean that he's expecting blacks to tow some line. Hell, you conservatives talk more crap about what line blacks should tow far more than Toobin ever did. Read these threads on CD. How many threads do we have of conservatives bytching about blacks voting for Democrats as if conservatives deserve some explanation by blacks about their votes.

If you don't like Toobin taking shots at Thomas, take it up with Toobin. But don't make some b.s. ad hominem appeal to me based on my shared race with Thomas just because Toobin won't give you any satisfaction. That's between you and Toobin, not you and the black community.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 AM

,I find it odd that only blacks have to adhere to some imaginary belief system or they arent being true to their race and worthy of ridicule by the elites.

No one says someone like Rubio isn't being true to his people because he doesn't believe a certain way.

Why is it only blacks that are held to this standard?

Looks like I also have to do this again.....what makes me a "conservative"? My support for gay marriage? Legalization of pot? Being anti death penalty? Anti-war? My position on the cops attitudes towards blacks?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I find it odd that only blacks have to adhere to some imaginary belief system or they arent being true to their race and worthy of ridicule by the elites.

No one says someone like Rubio isn't being true to his people because he doesn't believe a certain way.

You find it odd because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

If blacks had to adhere to some imaginary belief system as you claim, it ain't like you'd know about it anyway.

Whatever you know about "blacks," you know it from movies and tv. Stop talking as if you've got this special insight into black life and what standards we're held to.

And if Rubio's people were calling him out on his authenticity, you wouldn't know that either.

Stick to what you know...Not what you're imagining to be true.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
I find it odd that only blacks have to adhere to some imaginary belief system or they arent being true to their race and worthy of ridicule by the elites.

Ah, but Rubio IS criticized for not adhering to a certain belief system. Specifically, he's seen as being out of touch with the new generation of Cubans, who don't view Cuba in quite the same negative light. Basically, he's a young guy who caters to the elderly, often elite, view. So it isn't just blacks. Plenty of young Cubans think Rubio is a sellout. Can't comment on Indians' view of Jindal, since I haven't researched, but it might not be entirely favorable, as well.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

It isn't only blacks. It used to be common that women who didn't support feminism were called gender traitors and brainwashed by men and your own example, Rubio, was called a hypocrite because of his stance on immigration. I myself as a disabled person have been told that I am voting against my own interests for being a Republican. It's also not uncommon for poor people to be said to be brainwashed by Republicans into voting for them and there have been threads on this very forum questioning why a homosexual person would ever vote Republican.

The common thread here isn't that only black people have this done to them. The common thread is that only conservatives have it done to them. Any female, poor, disabled, homosexual, or minority conservative is open to the accusation. Anyone who isn't a wealthy white Christian heterosexual man and doesn't fall for left wing pandering rhetoric is vulnerable to being questioned for voting the wrong way. It's pretty clear that there are a lot of leftists who feel the Democrats are somehow owed or entitled to the minority vote and there's something wrong with you if you don't give it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies