Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times

Advertisements

Info on supporting OU SAE's Black chef, who will likely now lose his job:

Oklahoma fraternity's racist chant may cost its black chef his job - LA Times

And I support SAE's decision to revoke OU SAE's charter. But SAE is a private entity making such a decision. A government entity cannot retaliate when one exercises one's First Amendment right to free speech. If they could, campus protests wouldn't exist. Many protests create "a hostile learning environment" for those who disagree with the protestors' cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
drunk, on a bus en route to a party is a 'learning environment'?
Right. That's where the university will have a hard time with its case if it makes a "disruptive learning environment" argument. At the end of the day, the university has a duty to protect students exercising their constitutional rights and, only in the event that doing so becomes cost-prohibitive or the university couldn't keep the students safe would the university be justified with legally terminating the students' relationship with the university. Just as the 14th Amendment requires the Feds/states to give equal protection of the law and universities under this amendment couldn't simply expel black students because their presence created a disruptive learning environment for racist whites (think some of the Southern desegregation cases at public universities decades ago), the university just can't cop out and say that they are parting ways with students for exercising their constitutional rights. Instead, in the former case (and what I argue applies here), the university or the state has a duty to protect students who are protected by the Constitution to attend the university, regardless of whether their presence is disruptive to some or many. Its one thing to police general disruption, but its another thing completely to police disruption that is purely the result of protected speech.

13,255 posts, read 12,140,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
These asstards will pay for their racist stupidity ....

Will the " burn this ***** down" or " kill the piggies" crowd... and there are some of those it appears to me on this forum...
Will they pay equally? ....and be shunned too?

Nope... they will get the race or emotion of the minute pass

All of this crap is the milk of a society that is losing its controls on what is right and wrong... and respecting some level of normal behavior in the bell shaped curve

This is what you get when people don't respect themselves... and did not have good role models.
Our politicians could be the first line of defense ...they have failed miserably and made it exponentially worse...
Are these tards any different than the politicians holding their hands up saying don't shoot ... a fallacy.. or the da's who appeared in the video calling for policemen to be killed

No different ... more idiots

Makes a wonderful three day news cycle before we get back to what Beyonce wore yesterday... and who Bobby Brown is smacking around this week...
I was heartened by the football team walking arm in arm... and the black student union president calling for forgiveness... I'm OK with that... to an extent ... I was also happy to see an unequivicable response by the college

Get out before midnight....
So what exactly do you have to say about what happened??

Your not really proving that your an empathetic, caring individual here.

Your not really improving your image if that's what your goal is.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,589,580 times
Its being blown way out of proportion because it was leaked. Are you to tell me that Black fraternities welcome white members with open arms and don't have anything negative to say about whites in private?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
The 79 year old house mother was exposed on video saying "n****r".

Old 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why single out NBC? All stations, including Fox, are reporting it. Fox also came up with a 2013 tape showing the frat's 79 year old house mom, signing the N word. This tape had been previously posted on social media.

There appears to be an established pattern.

Turn off your TV if you don't like the story.
ironically, she was singing the lyrics to a rap 'song' by a black 'artist.'

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The 79 year old house mother was exposed on video saying "n****r".
ironically, she was singing the lyrics to a rap 'song' by a black 'artist.'

should it be unlawful for white people to sing the lyrics to rap songs now?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This article agrees with the First Amendment argument that's been posted here.

No, a public university may not expel students for racist speech - The Washington Post

But I think OU is going with the disruption to the educational process argument.
What "educational process" on a privately chartered bus on the way to a private formal social event?

Far more disruptive and troubling is the Black Power fist raised by the student on campus during Boren's statement. That's threatening. That actually does constitute "a hostile learning environment" given Shabazz's advocacy to kill Whites and invoking Black Power after doing so.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,369,471 times
These are adults of voting age who are gleefully singing about the lynching of people due to the color of their skin.

In 2015.

This is not a case of boys will be boys or a youthful indiscretion.

This is who they are. This is who they are proud of being.

They do not have a place at a university or quite frankly in modern society.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,589,580 times
I don't see the reason for all the outrage. Racism is nothing new. There are whites who will never accept or like blacks for the color of their skin, and there are blacks who will forever despise whites for events that happened in the past

Am I condoning what they were chanting? No. It was ignorant and classless, but like I stated in another thread. Do you really think black fraternities open their doors with open arms to whites, or even encourage whites to join? I'm sure there are just as many negative things said towards whites behind closed doors. It just hasn't been filmed and leaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies