Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
violated?

Are they in jail?

You guys really need to brush up on this Free Speech thing...

No, you do. There are many ways to punish people for exercising their rights without jailing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The answer is the university can get away with it as long as no one takes them to court. I suspect the students will simply find another college.
It appears that they have been given some good common sense advice--apologize and then get out of the public eye and try to minimize the damage of their idiotic behavior, and hope it doesn't follow them for the rest of their lives. Which won't be easy in this digital age, where everything you do follows you forever.

But fighting their expulsion and/or suing the university will only keep them in the public eye for that much longer, and make certain that people who hadn't heard about it before will be exposed to it then. Accompanied by a YouTube video which would be aired again and again and again during the course of the trial.

The best these guys can hope for is to slink away quietly and do good things going forward to overshadow their bad behavior here.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It appears that they have been given some good common sense advice--apologize and then get out of the public eye and try to minimize the damage of their idiotic behavior, and hope it doesn't follow them for the rest of their lives. Which won't be easy in this digital age, where everything you do follows you forever.

But fighting their expulsion and/or suing the university will only keep them in the public eye for that much longer, and make certain that people who hadn't heard about it before will be exposed to it then. Accompanied by a YouTube video which would be aired again and again and again during the course of the trial.

The best these guys can hope for is to slink away quietly and do good things going forward to overshadow their bad behavior here.
I doubt they'll take this to court, for those very reasons.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
So when the media shows this video on the news, are we as blacks supposed to be upset and ruin the rest of our day? Because after I watched the video I carried on with my day so I didn't care anything about it.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yeah, that's linked to in post #758.
Exactly: Why expelled Oklahoma frat boys would have an ‘excellent chance’ in court - The Washington Post

Boren acted too hastily, and screwed up. Tidy sum for the taking for racist the frat boys.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
But in this case they were not expelled. They voluntarily withdrew.
That's not what Boren announced. Link to expulsion letter, here:

OU President David Boren Expels 2 Students Related To Racist Vid - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Old 03-11-2015, 02:06 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
no amount of evidence that they were expelled is going to convince this one, I already tried the letter.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM

335 posts, read 424,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong. They withdrew.

"I am deeply sorry for what I did Saturday night," Rice said in the statement. "It was wrong and reckless. I made a horrible mistake by joining into the singing and encouraging others to do the same. On Monday, I withdrew from the University and sadly, at this moment our family is not able to be in our home because of threatening calls as well as frightening talk on social media."

Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Where in the Constitution does it prevent a university from punishing a student for denigrating or humiliating other students?
First Amendment. Free speech. Read it.

UC Berkeley is a hotbed of sometimes very denigrating protests. Their students aren't expelled for protesting in such a manner.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Wrong. They withdrew.
No. Boren published the expulsion letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies