Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:18 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You could start a separate forum just based on the things Conservatives said would happen with Obama in office... but never did.
He didn't take away all the guns?
Redecorate the White House in a Muslim motif?

Well darn. Just darn. Let's impeach him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
What happened to hyperinflation?

A question I keep asking my Libertarian friend. He says, "Any day now".

I respond, "Can you guess at a timeframe"? He says, "No".

So, there you have it. In one hundred years, his views may be validated! Or not.
–Federal Debt: A “ticking time bomb” «#Monetary Sovereignty - Mitchell #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It's sitting on the Fed's balance sheet waiting patiently for the right moment.
There is still a very large amount of excess reserves created by QE sitting in banks, just waiting to be loaned out. But not enough for the USD to go hyper with. This is the resultant weakness and inefficiency of QE after all. Not enough viable borrowers. Some intents of QE were to promote lending, more commerce and some inflation.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 AM

The case for hyperinflation was predicated on the FED and QE, not specifically both parties inability to control their spending. Libertarians started pounding the table about FED policy and hyperinflation 5 years ago.

Would YOU care to make a prediction?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is still a very large amount of excess reserves created by QE sitting in banks, just waiting to be loaned out. But not enough for the USD to go hyper with. This is the resultant weakness and inefficiency of QE after all. Not enough viable borrowers. Some intents of QE were to promote lending, more commerce and some inflation.
The credit markets are unfrozen. The US taxpayer is receiving interest on the bonds that the FED holds (which also have value and can be redeemed later). It may not have been as efficient as originally envisioned, but it did accomplish what was intended.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
It's coming....I just don't know when. How will the Federal Govt payback the debt? Someday institutions will require much higher rates before loaning them money, and some will flat want their money returned. But how do you repay that money if there's no one loaning you the money to do it. Answer: if you're a private company, you declare bankruptcy; if you're a government and have a printing press....you print money until you run out of ink. In effect you're repaying money with cheaper money. This is hyperinflationary.

The multi-trillion dollar question is when does this happen? 5 years? 15 years? 50 years? 100 years? I have no idea....except that it will happen----mathematically and economically it has to. How much does federal government have to borrow annually to fund the deficit? Multiply that total debt figure by 1.04% (roughly the rate of 30 yr. T-bond)-----by the number of years in question---say 20 years---and you obviously get a much bigger number----question is will pension funds, China, Middle East, university endowments, and hedge funds loan that money at a "reasonable" interest rate, or will they demand repayment?

The really interesting thing---the above scenario is going to happen to Europe and Japan well before it hits USA. What kind of effect will that have on US stock and bond markets??? Fascinating stuff.
When are you guys going to figure out that the national "debt" is as big a scam as global warming?

You know what the debt is? It's the super rich moving their money from one place to another and charging us peasants for the freight. That's it in a nutshell.

How else can they get you to vote for someone who will cut your benefits other than to create a scenario that makes you think you have to?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
The case for hyperinflation was predicated on the FED and QE, not specifically both parties inability to control their spending. Libertarians started pounding the table about FED policy and hyperinflation 5 years ago.

Would YOU care to make a prediction?
The USD might hyperinflate if the US loses a major war and its country, or is physically decimated by an asteroid hit.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:46 AM

Ok, that may be true. IDK

But, I thought we were talking about monetary policy, not Black Swan events.

I see the 2010 predictions of hyperinflation (from QE) as illustrative that predictions of long term economic results are virtually impossible. Too many variables and unexpected events.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
The credit markets are unfrozen. The US taxpayer is receiving interest on the bonds that the FED holds (which also have value and can be redeemed later). It may not have been as efficient as originally envisioned, but it did accomplish what was intended.

We've are in a de facto perpetuity. The math is pretty simple. Algebra says it will have to give. What's your guess:

Bank Holiday? Currency Reset? Inflation? Lower Standard of Living?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
We've are in a de facto perpetuity. The math is pretty simple. Algebra says it will have to give. What's your guess:

Bank Holiday? Currency Reset? Inflation? Lower Standard of Living?
I really do not have a guess. I only know that theories of impending economic doom have been around a very long time.

A lower standard of living is already upon us, but that is due to globalization, an inevitable force that we either work with or it will leave us behind. I remain a cautious optimist. It has worked for me relentlessly for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies