Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

The only way I would like to see mandatory voting is when they also remove the party affiliation from the ballots. If someone wants to vote just for a certain party, then they have to take the time to educate themselves and/or take a list with them.

If they want to stay ignorant they can check off any candidate that looks like they have a nice name, or whatever. Those votes will tend to cancel each other out leaving the educated votes to make the determination of the victor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
What a relief. Like a racehorse. That really must have been hard for you to do. Good job!
I could here it all the way over here, must have been a rock underneath.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
They aren't, it just that a stupid question more times than not will go unanswered. Hopefully shaker read my post above and can stop waiting to shake it. Could cause medical problems.
Well it is good to know you are on board with the Democrats, who support having 100% turnout and making it easy for any legal citizen to register to vote.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
OK, so he says, "In Australia, they have mandatory voting."

He doesn't suggest that we make it mandatory here.

Explain the scary part of him wanting more Americans to vote and fewer obstacles to voting.

Please.

Explain what? I tell people all the time to quit your bitching if you haven't voted.

The only obstacles to voting are those that potentially legal voters create themselves. Apathy and laziness being the two biggest.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Taking away the freedom not to vote would truly be transformative. I'm working in a country that forces people to vote or pay a fine which many do because they are working in places not their hometown.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
To be honest, I don't think there would be such a noticeable difference in election results. I think the majority of citizens are much more centric than anyone is admitting. IMO part of the problem of low voter turnout is the extremes on either side and their sound bite elections. If we could cut down the dramatizations, hyperbole, and party animosity, I think we'd see more participation anyway. I think if there were ever a truly centric candidate, that person would get elected.
Thank you! If only we could, but the mud slinging seems to be our way. Nobody offers plans and solutions, it just opens them up to having every word parsed and dissected. Like this topic!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well it is good to know you are on board with the Democrats, who support having 100% turnout and making it easy for any legal citizen to register to vote.
I'm on board with the American Constitution as are most conservative independent Americans. If Democrats care to come along for the ride the more the merrier.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I don't know about "mandatory voting", but it is very interesting that a certain group of people are very afraid of 100% voter turnout. That suggests they are not on board with a democratic process that enables all voters.

Would someone who is against 100% voter turnout (via any process), explain why that is?
I am against it, for the reason that if even just one person knows he does not know the issues or the candidates, so they don't bother, then it is better for the country that he stays home.

Many of those that are too lazy to educate themselves, just say it doesn't matter which candidate wins, they are all the same, to justify not voting.

For some of these people it should be mandatory that they never vote.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'm on board with the American Constitution as are most conservative independent Americans. If Democrats care to come along for the ride the more the merrier.
You should start informing this to the other right wingers that post in this thread who seem to be against the idea.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Saying that it would be transformative is not the same as saying we should have it. But please continue with the histrionics.

Anyway, an incentive is better than mandatory action so how about making election day a national holiday? Or even a tax credit for voting? I'd love to hear Republicans object to a tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies